main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond between Poe, Finn, and Rey moving forward into IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CosmicDust, Dec 25, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I can only think of three instances where the OT (the big 6 and sometimes Lando) acted as a team.

1. Escaping the Deathstar.

2. Freeing Han from Jabba.

3. Initially landing on Endor.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I really want to see the new three: Rey, Finn and Poe all have one film that really sends them off rightly. Great actors and deserving of a proper send off.

3. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    @cerealbox I’m not expecting anything and it’s foolish to hope for it I know. They keep talking about making these films different and here’s just one chance to do that.

StormScavenger and Blastaar like this.
  4. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Yea, I was thinking about this exact thing the other day. The "trio" in the OT and (even less so) in the PT didn't act as a constant team.

I don't think the ST really has an established trio so we're not going to see an entire movie of Rey, Finn, and Poe (and Rose) working as a team.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Yora and cerealbox like this.
  5. Jazz9276

Oct 19, 2016
    No one is suggesting they spend an entire movie together. Since they are trying to change things up they could start with more team work and less plot A and plot B. They need to stick together and rebuild.

And maybe we’ll have to wait for the books to get it if we don’t in 9. That’s fine too.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think they'll spent more time together. The OT cast will be gone and the Resistance is all but 40 people so they're going to have to stick together to survive.

Miotas and Jazz9276 like this.
  7. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Well they were supposed to have Poe and Finn go on the trip to Canto rather then Rose and Finn but that got changed for some reason. I know that they said they were changing things to give some characters bigger parts and taking from other characters. Apparently the Finn and Poe road trip would have been too much fun for this movie for some reason.

As for what could happen:

Finn will probably have a deeper friendship with Poe, who possibly will give him more of a role as a commander of a ground Troop. I have a feeling with those books the hints there are that Finn will be learning the force from reading them with Rey and learning possibly from Luke. Rey and Poe will more than likely help with Phasma, who you know will come back. (I get the feeling that Phasma and Finn's story was the one that was cut, which really really sucks.)

Rey is going to work on developing her force powers to get stronger to fight Ben. She will be working directly with Finn as far as missions are concerned to maybe find a way to bring Ben back to the light, as well as help get the troopers back to their side. In regard to Poe, either they're going to have some sort of sexual tension at some point, or not. But over all she more then likely will be the Luke to Poe's Leia. She will be his wingman and have his back as a force user. He may be a key to helping her with his home farm with the force tree there.

Poe is going to have to take on a more leader role. He, like Leia, will be working with the other heads of the new resistance and will be working with Rey, Finn, and Conniex as well as whoever Leia's friend is in the Outer Rim (I'm be delighted if it was Mara Jade, just because I think she would make a cool character to have in this story. I wouldn't be surprised if it's DJ.) Poe will work with Finn on helping his other Former Storm Troopers, and probably learning to be more of a person that has a larger political role outside of the military. With Rey he's going to help her find a way to bring Ben back as he was a kid when Ben was born so he probably knew him and would want to help him in some way because Poe is the eternal optimist. there could possibly be some romance there between him and Rey or it could just be a cool friendship deal.

Also:

Rey -Han
    Finn -Luke
    Poe- Leia
    Chewie -Chewie
    DJ -Lando
    Rose -Mara?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    panki likes this.
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    RJ flat out said that Poe didn't challenge Finn, it was just two guys going on an adventure, which wasn't (in his opinion) doing anything to grow either of them. As a major theme of this film is failure, how you deal with it and what you learn from it, I see his point.

9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Well then there ya go -- and maybe they'll reveal her true name with that foreshadowing of her in an xwing --
    Jain- I mean Rey Solo ;-)

Overall though I like the new team and agree with most of what's been said before. Good show.

panki likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedistormpilot is still alive.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe they all sit around and bond about not having any parents. Seriously!

Mostly Handless and skybender like this.
  12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That can't include Poe then

Yora likes this.
  13. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    Finn and Poe's bond will continue to grow, as will Finn's and Rey's, but Rey and Poe have just met and I feel they will end up similar to her relationship with Han. Not a fatherly type, but a mentor of sorts. He is nearly 20 years older than her and wiser after TLJ. I think the 3 of them will bond over Leia's fate though and I also have a feeling they will help Rey bring Ben home.

Yora likes this.
  14. Jazz9276

Oct 19, 2016
    It’s bad enough that Rey drank the Ben Solo has done nothing wrong and must be saved koolaid. Do Finn and Poe, who also know first hand what Kylo really is, have to have lobotomies and want to save him too?

Def Trooper and Ben-Solo like this.
  15. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Why is it everyone but Ben Solo's responsibilty to save Ben Solo? Isn't Ben Solo responsible for his own actions, up to and including those actions in "The Last Jedi" .

16. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Ben will save himself but he'll need help leaving the FO. It's about literally bringing him home after he chooses to go with them.

17. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Lol they'll bring him home and then the rest of the Resistance will want to gun him down instantly?

Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  18. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    I see it more like POTC when Will and Elizabeth stood between Jack and the guards.

Yora likes this.
  19. Jazz9276

Oct 19, 2016
    I know right? And instead of owning up to his crap it’s everyone else having to apologize to him. Now they’re all supposed to welcome him home like nothing ever happened.

I love how Luke makes one mistake and has to pay his life for it. Kylo and his numerous sins get swept under the rug so he can live happily ever after.

Lovely message right there.

Def Trooper and Ben-Solo like this.
  20. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Luke made a choice. Made a sacrifice. Same as Han. If Ben dies unredeemed, it was all for nothing because all Leia and Han wanted was Ben returned home, and Luke wanted to make right what he felt he made wrong. It's about what they want, not what Ben deserves in the eyes of the fans.

21. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    But Luke said he wasn't there to save Ben. Not even to forgive him. He was giving the Resistance time to escape. Whereas Han confronted him specifically to bring him back. And this was back in TFA when Leia still believe he wasn't totally evil and wouldnt be willing to kill his own dad.

And at some point people have to stop sacrificing everything to bring one person home. No one's out there trying to save the stormtroopers who were stolen from their families and forced into their position. Finn wasn't trying to save Phasma.

The Resistance, along with Rey Poe and Finn have sacrificed enough. If Ben does end up being redeemed in the eyes of the Force it's not gonna include a parade and a welcome wagon. The rest of the Resistance isn't gonna be celebrating that he's redeemed. They'll probably be celebrating his capture and imprisonment.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  22. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Luke can't save him. Luke knows it won't be him who breaks Ben free of the darkness. He bought them time, but he also got to apologize to Ben for what he did to him. The dice were a big clue too. They went from Han who put them on the Falcon in a deleted TFA's scene, to Luke before R2 reminded him of his love for Leia, to Leia who thought she lost her son, but he told her he's not gone and then to Ben, who saw Rey one final time before the dice faded. Rey gives Ben hope and light, and without her his darkness returns. She's his spark, but it's up to him to want to let the light pull him. The ST is about hope and that's why I think IX will not end with death and sadness.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah but Obi-Wan told Anakin that he failed him. He was still trying to kill him though because he knew he was a huge threat. Even though he didn't want to do it.

Ben ignored Rey's plea for him to reject the Dark Side. Same when they were on the elevator and she said she could help him, and he ignores her offer and talks about how she'll turn instead. He shows no interest or conflict throughout the whole movie, nor does he ever recognize Rey being his "hope and light." If anything that's the biggest turn off for him. He's only interested or "cares" about Rey when it comes to her living by his rules. Anything less and he chastises her and threatens to destroy her at the end. Which is why I would think it would be better for her to not have her focus or endgame revolve around saving him.

As for death and sadness, maybe it's what Ben deserves, regardless of how conflicted or bad he feels for what he's done. Dude's an adult making his own decisions. We have four other heroes to root for to receive happiness and hope who aren't Skywalkers, who are their own characters, and don't have any special privileges handed to them because of their lineage. Not everything's about Ben's happiness. Especially since he's helped take so many other people's happiness away.

And like I said, even if Ben does eventually give up the Dark Side, then what? He's either going to end up sacrificing himself like Vader, being locked in a Resistance prison for the rest of his life, or escape and become a pariah. Sure it's not hopeful and happy for HIM specifically, but maybe the rest of the Resistance, along with Finn Poe and Rey would appreciate it.

He shouldn't get off just because he's got Skywalker blood. Sure it's not a happy ending, but that his own fault.

24. Lady Rey

Jan 3, 2018
    Actually it's much deeper than that with Ben and Rey. When he told her she was not alone, he had not seen her parents yet, hoping it would be what makes her stand with him when she learned she was alone. He was reaching out to her Light and is why Luke saw him in the hut. Rian said he saw a kindred spirit in Rey and he wants her to be with him, but he is still trying to keep to his goals. Rey is no different. She wants him at her side, but only on her terms. Neither are accepting the other for what they are and are trying to make them change when neither are ready or wish to change. His saying he wants to destroy Rey ended up with him yearning to reach out to her with a look of hopelessness as she rejects him and he bows his head, with a single beam of light shinning on him as the Falcon takes off. Rian also said he played with lighting to express scenes. It's all spiritual in the end and whatever happens to Ben in IX will likely be something like that too.

Edit: Whoops! I feel we left the topic and drfited off elsewhere haha I apologize!

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  25. Jazz9276

Oct 19, 2016
    Exactly. There should be consequences for him. Not rewards.

One of the messages I love about the ST is that you don’t have to be from a special lineage to carry a legacy. Luke (force) and Leia chose Rey and Poe on merit. To toss that aside because the prodigal son wants to return home is awful.

Not everything is about Kylo. Sorry, Rian. I know that’s what you wanted. If you have to change every character to make Kylo sympathetic, to make Kylo a hero, to bring Kylo home, then you’re doing a disservice to all the characters.

Ben-Solo likes this.