main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book Alert

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Remnant is now out, just saw it at the book store the other day...I really need to update my web site. [face_blush]

BARGAIN - Episode I Visual Dictionary available for $6.00 at the Barnes & Nobels by Crabtree mall in the Bargain books section. I walked in it was staring me in the face and I picked it up, Great Buy!!

2. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I have the ep.1 book but I boughet it at it's orignal price 30.00 :(

3. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    WOW ... gee Natalie, that is a bargain. At that rate they won't last long. :)

4. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Damn. I got Remnant like a week ago and finished it in like 2 or 3 days. :eek:

Can't wait till the next book. :(

5. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I'm getting so behind on my reading. In high school I read all the time. Now all the time I have is to read in between my classes which amounts to about 2-3 chapters every other day, which is better than my freshman year which amounted to zero.

I absolutely can't wait to read Remnant...The implications of the title.... Anyway I'm about half way through Destiny's Way..maybe I can start Remnant in about a month.

I also have high hopes of finishing the prequels to Dune and reading the new book in the Earths Children series. I just love reading...must..make...more..time...

6. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    best time to read for me natalie is before bed. helps me relax too, the reading does. not b/c it is boring but it puts me in this mood. also helps for better, good dreams and not any nightmares. :)

BTW, when is Tatooine Ghost supposed to be out? I really want that one (set after Courtship of Princess Leia I do believe...)

7. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Natalie, DinoX,
    Keep us informed of your readings, please. It's wonderful to see this amongst our group that reading Star Wars is a source of joy and enthusiasm! :)

8. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Yah I should read before going to bed the problem is I go to bed to late. I should start getting at least a chapter in before bed though.

Tatooine Ghost should be coming out March 4th or around there. Looking forward to reading that one. Have you read A Forest Apart yet?

9. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    Gah must wait till next paycheck on the 28th to order Tatooine Ghost (I get alot of my stuff off of amazon.com b/c I'm lazy - even tho I could go to the new mall off capitol since it is like 6 minutes from where I live).

What is A Forest Apart about? :)

10. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Its the new e-Book:

A Forest Apart
    by Troy Denning

At first glance, Coruscant and Kashyyyk couldn't be more different: one is a metropolis-covered world of technology while the other is the verdant Wookiee homeworld enveloped by immense rain forests. But the two share a dangerous similarity: the further into the shadows one descends, the greater the danger.

That's what Lumpawarrump, Chewbacca's son, discovers in A Forest Apart. The young Wookiee has grown up hearing tales of his father's heroics, but he hasn't heard them from Chewbacca. Chewie's life debt to Han Solo keeps him constantly on the move and away from home. Without the steadying influence of his father, Lumpy is running wild. His mother, Mallotobuck, decides that a visit to Coruscant is in order. It's the perfect opportunity for father and son to bond again -- and for Lumpy to learn that, even for a great hero like Chewbacca, there is more to life than adventure.

But when Lumpy interrupts a burglar in the Solos' apartment, adventure is all he can think about. Eager to make his father proud, Lumpy disobeys his parents and pursues the escaping criminal into Coruscant's dangerous underlevels . . . only to stumble upon a secret as shocking as it is deadly.

I must admit that I like to wait for the paperback of the hardcover related to the e-book so that I can get the e-book as a hardcopy. I tried reading Darth Maul: Saboteur on the computer and I just didn't like it.

I'm going to plug a little for my web site even though it hasn't been updated in forever (hopefully this weekend). If you order through amazon I have all the Star Wars books linked to amazon and I make a little commision out of it. Just had to mention it :D .

I'm almost finished Destiny's Way and Remnant is sitting on my bookshelf, I can't wait!! I just found out about the virus they created that attacks the gene specific to the Vong. The implications of this.... I don't know if I agree with Luke on this one, afterall the war is just going to cost more and more lives in the end anyway and if this virus could kill them all in a few weeks. However what I don't know is if it kills all Vong life what about the planets that are undergoing Vong terraforming...they would then be killed and you may never be able to grow something there again. Luke sounds like he is starting the Peace Brigrade argument, I mean these guys can't be stopped until they have ultimate control of the galaxy.

I hear thunder!! Yay for our first thurderstorm :D .

11. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I just thought of something else too. I've noticed that they are really starting to rack up the amount of short stories published from the SW Insider and I never got Gamer but I think they did quite a few in there also. This means we'll have another Tales paperback coming out soon! Probably 2, one from the New Jedi Order (which has been tentatively scheduled) and one from the Old Republic.

Hehe I love talking about the books. Another thing is that this is the last year pretty much for the New Jedi Order and afterwards the attention will be shifted to the Clone War novels. What do you think about this? I hate to see the NJO end, its afterall like the current events of today in SW. I can't say that I have been that pleased with some of the prequel novels. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was the best of all of them. I really didn't like Cloak Of Deception...to much politics. Of course all the kids books are just excellent I think they have been far outbeating the prequel era novels. The approaching Storm and Rogue Planet were OK for reading. Though Rogue Planet was a big step in order to tie the prequels with the NJO and for that I love the book. I just think that all of these books they have to keep pretty neutral because they can't interfere with Lucas' plans and I wonder if its still to early to go ahead with this line of publishing.

Well all in all I'm sure they will pull it off well I just hope they will set up some sort of timeline so that everything relates like the NJO. That is where I have been extremely impressed...that they have been able to pull this whole story arc off and its been great (especially now they we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the Republic).

12. JediKnight_Jerri

JediKnight_Jerri Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2002
    Hey Natalie.....watch out for those thunderstorms in the winter months......you know what they say happens when it thunders in the wintertime.......7-10 days til snow...

As for reading......I love it! The only thing I spend time reading is the SW books & the Insider Magazine. I've just started getting the comics. I read every minute I can, even if I can only get 1 or 2 pages read before I have to take off to do something else, I read them. I know, it makes it tough to put it down when you are at a really good part. I had to really dicipline myself on this part or else nothing would get done around here. Natalie, dinoX is right about reading before going to bed......that is my favorite time to read. You really should make a point to try it sometime.

I don't want to see the NJO series end either. I agree w/Natalie that it's like the current events for SW today. We can only hope that a new series will be started & that the saga will continue. I understand that there will be a lot of focus on the Old Republic for a while, & I have to admit, I am looking forward to those books as well.

13. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I really want to start getting into the comics too. Alls I have so far are the Jango and Zam one shots. What I ultimately want to do is collect the TPB's but those are 18$ each so it will probably be a little slow going. The one that is highest on my list to read is Union but I don't see it around in the stores so much anymore.

I used to read right before bed all the time. I think the funniest thing that happened was once I was reading I, Jedi about Corran and I decided I was tired so I went to sleep. Well in my sleep I picked up the story where I left off with myself in Corran's place, it was really kind of funny when I woke up and thought about what I had just dreampt.

Jerri have you read all the e-books? I've read one but like I said before I prefer waiting for them to come out in paperback. I think the new one looks really good though, I wish they would let you print them off then I would have no problem getting them.

14. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Natalie, unfortunately, I have not read any of the E Books. I share a computer with 2 teenage boys. We are constantly arguing over who's turn it is to get on the computer & how long someone has been on. I'll have to wait till they come out in paperback....hopefully we won't have to wait too long for that.

That is something that you was reading "I,Jedi" before falling asleep one night & then picked up in your dreams where you left off in the book.......Sometimes, I do that myself, however, the majority of the time, I am just living "My own SW saga" in my dreams. There, I am constantly on a mission to protect the universe, uphold good, & defeat evil. There, I also have an alwsome lightsaber & can use it quite well. My whole family thinks I am nuts b/c I talk in my sleep a lot, so therefore, they pretty much know what I am dreaming & what I am doing. LOL [face_laugh]

15. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Yah I understand the lightsaber thing...Its just so easy in your dreams hehe. Actually for some reason mine isn't purple like how I always picture it..Its always red (I really don't know why). But actually most of my Star Wars dreams are in the form of me being a pilot and I just love those dreams! One time I was in an AT-ST and you navigated in a turret like on the Millenium Falcon where you could swivel around and shoot stuff. But the cool thing was you could fold the legs up and fly away. I've also dreampt of piloting the Millenium Falcon and X-Wings. I love my pilot dreams, I would love to fly :D .

16. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    Wow, sounds like a neat AT-ST for the Imperials. Hummm......a red lightsaber & driving/flying an AT-ST......not exactly the traits of a Jedi. ?[face_plain] Are you thinking of going over to the darkside Natalie? hehe I hope not!

17. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Hehe I don't know why I keep using these darker devices. But don't worry I have about as many dreams where I'm in an X-Wing or Naboo Starfighter.

About 20 pages left in Destiny's Way and I'm finished! I can't wait to start Remnant. This is really starting to look like something is going to happen soon with this war. I feel like the characters are so tired and worn out. That little bit about Jacen being on vacation was almost refreshing. It will be nice to see the galaxy back in order.

18. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I haven't read Destiny's way...I can't seem to find it anywhere. I did get Remnant at Wal-Mart last week ($4.88) It was...ok.

[face_plain]

19. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    www.amazon.com - where I usually get my books when all else fails, since the triangle area seems to not be the best when it comes to getting things on time...

20. JediKnight_Jerri

Nov 7, 2002
    beafet, I have Destiny's Way. If you want, I'll let you borrow it. Just let me know or come by the house one day & pick it up. :)

21. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Sounds good..

[face_plain]

22. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    What did you think about Vector Prime?

23. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm reading Tatooine Ghost right now. It is ok, not as good as the NJO books.

24. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Vector Prime was kind of a freaky book. Coming out of classic Star Wars literature to something that was much more bold, forward, and very graphic it was a bit of a change. I didn't know what to make of it and it took quite a while to get used to the new lingo introduced. After that I started getting used to the graphic nature of the books and started liking the series a lot. It really kept things interesting by introducing something that was so blantantly different as far as Star Wars goes. Of course it was sad to see Chewie go.

25. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    o.k., DONE with Tatooine Ghost.

All I have to say is thank goodness it was only $10 and not $20-30 like most other hardcovers...I was quite let down by it. Once everybody or the majority of you read it, I'll share why. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.