main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book and Comic book discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Winston-Salem, NC' started by spooky-kid, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    So what book or comic book is everyone currently reading?

I finally finished The Fellowship of the Ring and have started on The Two Towers. Man the books are so much better. I'ld like to see a 8 hr. movie that followed the book exactly. How could they leave Tom Bombadil out of the first movie(he was a major character)

As far as comics goes-I've recently read the 5th Transformers comic, Star Wars Empire #11(#'s 8,10 & 11 sucked),I'm constanly reading back issues of Chaos Comics as I aquire them, so far I've loved about every issue of Star Wars Republic since #48 or 49(all the Clone Wars ones). I could keep going on but,

Lets here from some of you...

2. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Please dont anyone hang me for this, but I have something to confess........I havent read many comix. When I was little I read GI JOE, but thats all. I know about many of the charecters through Toy Fair, & have bought figures of them cause they looked cool. But that is all about to change! I subscribed to a few through an on-line dealer. Action comix, about 4-5 starwars titles, punisher, Spiderman, Uncanny X-men, Lucifer, 2 dif Transfomers, GI Joe. Soon I will be able to have something to add to the conversation.

3. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Almost forgot... About LOTR, I read the 1st book, & 1/2 of the 2nd book, but quit there. The 2 towers had just been released, and I just watched that instead. I have read alot of SW books though.

4. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Well-OZZEL, Here's some comics you should check out...(by the way there's a comic book store near you on Battlegroung called Acme Comics-their back issue stuff is higher priced than Silver Bullet in W-S though)anyways...

Star Wars Republic-This is taking place between where Clones left off until where the next movie will start. It is really good, I suggest starting at #48(I think)

Star Wars Empire- This series started off really good but, issues #8,10 &11 sucked. But next issue should be good again.

Last but, not least. You should check out both series Transformers vs. GI Joe & GI Joe vs. Transformers.One is currently at issue 3 and the other one the 1st issue just came out a week or 2 ago.

Spooky [face_devil]

There's a series on Wildstrorm right now called The Possessed. Vertigo recently had a series called Blood and Water that was really good.Tarot Witch of the Black Rose is another good one(for mature audiences)It's on Broadsword Comics(Jim Balent-CatWoman,Purgatori...)

5. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Finally finished Two Towers. I guess the Return of the King movieis gonna start out with Frodo and Sam fighting Shelob.

Now I'm wanting to start the 3rd Harry Potter book before the movie comes out.

I really wanna check out Shatterpoint also.

6. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Well picked up some new ones yesturday.....

GI Joe vs. Transformers #5
    Star Wars - Empire #13
    Star Wars - Count Dooku

Anybody else get these and wanna discuss them?

* Finished reading the Return of the Ring. Started on Jurassic Parks' Lost World. If anyone sees the first Jurassic Park book in good condition(hardback).Let me know where?

7. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    I recently finished reading Return of the King for the second time. I read all of them when I was much younger, I just read ROTK to refresh my memory before the movie is released in a couple weeks. I look forward to seeing how it is brought to life on the big screen, should be amazing. I have read alot of Star Wars books as well, but not many of the more recent ones.

Chris

8. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    yeah- I can't wait to see what all they'll leave out of the movie.

9. STARDOG-D-JEDI

STARDOG-D-JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Well I just finished reading Play poker like the pros. So everybody better watch out. I love the game of poker it takes great skill and a jedi mindtrick or two. Also recently finished the biography of Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing. It was great. The last star wars books I read were the novel of attack of the clones and the approaching storm. I have not read any star wars comics in a while. I don't know why. I'm trying to stay away from any star wars stories right now so as not to mess up my own. That is so hard to do.

10. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Stardog-You should really make an exception with the Clone Wars comics in the Republic series.

11. STARDOG-D-JEDI

Oct 11, 2002
    Are you trying to tempt me to the darkside? (reaches for lightsaber) lol!

12. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    I didn't realize I needed to tempt you.

Twists his arm and forces him to the dark side. [face_devil]

13. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I didn't really like Shatterpoint, which really surprised me because the same author wrote Traitor, which I thought was a wonderful book in the NJO series.

I just finished reading The Unifying Force, the last book in the NJO series, and while it wasn't bad, it also wasn't steller. I enjoyed it, but it just seemed to lack something. Almost like it was rushed, but at the same time slow in parts.

The third Harry Potter book is wonderful! It's the best of the series.

14. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    I just read a few lines from Shatterpoint that sounded really cool. Can anyone turn me on to some other Star Wars books that fit in with the movies like Splinter of the minds eye and Shadows of the Empire does.(Clone Wars novels ???)

Man that Empire #13 was really cool. It incorporated a couple segments from A New Hope.

Haven't read the Dooku one yet but, it deals with Dooku turning Master Quin Lon Vos away from the Jedi.Looks really good after skimming through it.

15. STARDOG-D-JEDI

Oct 11, 2002
    The best star wars novels I have read are old now. The Timothy Zahn Heir to the empire trilogy was really good. Truce at bakura was good as well and the Crystal Star. And your right the approaching storm was alright but not up to par. I'm more into the games right now. Anybody play Knights of the old republic? Man that's as good as it's going to get. It felt just like playing a part of the movie the story was that good. I highly recomend it. Playing Jedi Academy now the stories not much but being able to design your own jedi is pretty cool. The missions are cool as well. Jedi knight 2 was better though had a cool story to back it up. And Billy Dee voiced Lando! How cool is that! Made me want a Colt 45!!!

16. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    JediMasterStrange picked me up the Empire #14 comic last night. Yes already, just one week after #13 came out. It covers what happened after Vader got tossed in to space from the blast from the Millineum Falcon at the battle of Yavin when the Death Star was destroyed(teporarily) It's pretty good. Not awesome but, it was alot better than #8(I think it was) which was about Boba Fett. The only thing cool about that issue was the cover.

17. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Actually, the newer Han Solo trilogy is really good, and fits in with the movies. I belive A.C. Crispin wrote them. The third one litterly ends with him sitting in the Mos Eisley Cantina, and looking as an old man, a boy and two droids walk in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.