main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book by Book #3: The Dark Rival

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Summary: "Picking up right where the first book left off, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive on Bandomeer. Qui-Gon still does not want Obi-Wan as a Padawan learner, mainly because his last student turned to the Dark Side. (I assume it is possible to turn to the dark side without being a Sith cult member.) That student was Xanatos, and as Qui-Gon arrives, he receives a note from the former student. It was he who called Qui-Gon to mediate in the mining dispute, not the locals. Turns out he is working for one of the factions, but in what way? Meanwhile, Obi-Wan goes off to his farming duties.

Qui-Gon soon learns that Xanatos is in an evil partnership with the mining faction and he works to stop him. Xanatos eventually kidnaps Obi-Wan (assuming he's Qui-Gon's new Padawan) and puts him to work on an offshore mining platform. There, Obi-Wan meets a funny character named Guerra who helps him survive. Qui-Gon rescues Obi-Wan and then the dynamic duo face Xanatos in a deadly showdown in a deep mine.

Before the story concludes, we learn that earlier Qui-Gon treated Xanatos like a son, and also ignored all the signs that he was heading to the dark side. Compelled more by his family's wealth than doing good with the Jedi, Xanatos leaves Qui-Gon and helps his father take over their home planet. Qui-Gon helps the people there stop them, but he kills Xanatos' father in the process, slashing him and slicing his wedding band. Xanatos picks up his father's ring and brands his face with the broken circle. The broken circle becomes a symbol throughout the novel.

Of course, by the end of the book, Qui-Gon takes on Obi-Wan as his Padawan learner."

My Opinion: I really enjoyed this book. Who would have thought Qui-Gon had a padawan who went to the darkside. Xanatos was a cool character. I really hated Guerra. NO SO, I LIE! Classic line there. Xanatos escapes so there is room for more. Finally Obi-Wan finally becomes Qui-Gon's padawan.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I liked Xanatos. He's a cool villain for the series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.