main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Book catalogue for 2018 (so far)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 4, 2018.

1. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Solo will actually get an Ultimate Visual Guide combining Visual Dictionary and Cross-Sections, same as with Rogue One. Art of is a given, too. :)

Reference books (which you can already find on Amazon) also include Star Wars Lightsabers (Updated and expanded from its 2010 release, by Pablo Hidalgo) and DK's Encyclopedia of Vehicles and Starfighters by Landry Q. Walker. Both are out in April.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Great news! Loved the RO Visual Guide and I think that's the format they should use for the Saga movies as well.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I like the Combined Visual Guide for the Anthologies and the TV series formats (maybe if they decide to for the comics and books as well at a later stage). But having the separate ones for the main nine films actually is good (even if it costs more which I don't care).

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As I understood it you're contracted for X books over a period of Y years--no? I know calendar-wise there aren't specific slots but isn't it fair to say that every novelization, barring special cases where a new book is added to the contract, means one less original?

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    That's good to know. But there is still a limited number of publications per year, right? Iirc Leland Chee recently said that they're not planning to release more Legends books as they don't have enough resources for marketing and promo (can't find the tweet rn). So I'm assuming there is a limited number of books per year due to staff and resources restrictions involved with publishing and marketing of those titles.

As awesome as DK books are at worldbuilding, they don't fall into the story progression novel / short story format as Del Rey stuff. But it'd be handy to have a listing for those too.

6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm not permitted to discuss contracts in any form. So all I'll say is, see my previous post again.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Thrawn, Han, and Padme books will all be on my to-read list :D

8. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Just on this, down the track I'd love if they did dip their feet into releasing a Legends book to see how it sells.

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Not a new book, but they did re-release Zahn's The Thrawn Trilogy in 2016 with new cover art. Not sure if there is any data on how stuff sells though.

10. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I did like the new cover art, but not enough to buy a third edition of Heir to the Empire. :p

11. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    They actually released a combined version of TFA Visual Dictionary & Cross-sections in 2016 at Costco, also the Ultimate Visual Guide for Rogue One in 2017 in that format with an exclusive art print and also a reprint for the original six movies.
    https://www.costco.com/Star-Wars-Th...plete-Visual-Companion.product.100387709.html
    https://www.costco.com/Star-Wars-Ro...Guide-by-Pablo-Hidalgo.product.100388082.html
    https://www.costco.com/Star-Wars:-The-Complete-Visual-Dictionary.product.100387715.html
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Likely DK is going to release one for TLJ Visual Dictionary & Cross-sections this year and Solo maybe by Christmas if lucky but likely early next year.

MrDarth0 and lordpixie like this.
  12. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    So other than the Thrawn sequel the only scheduled novels are novelizations? I know there’s been strong speculation about a Solo prequel similar to catalyst, but I really hope there are some novels not yet announced. Seems like lately the focus has been on the YA novels. No hate towards the YA novels, I still rent them and make sure I check them out, but the Del Rey novels are the publications I most enjoy and collect (cant collect every Star Wars entry — Id end up with stories in like 3 or 4 formats haha). Even two of the most recent novel entries from Del Rey were at their core short story collection — From A Certain POV, Canto Bight. Again, not trying to sling mud at either of those titles, I just find their typical novel entries my favorite story format. Hope to see these get ramped up soon with upcoming publications

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Del Rey is probably still keeping things under wraps until after Rebels Season 4 wraps up and Solo: A Star Wars Story is released.

There's probably a few stories to follow whoever survives the Season 4 finale plus one or two prequel novels following assorted characters from Solo.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A Sabine and Zeb meet Kanan and Hera story needs to happen.