main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Book Chat

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by varza, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Okay opening an area for our SW book readers. To talk, discuss fight etc over the different SW books....

2. Lorithavon

Lorithavon Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    What if you don't know how to read?

-lor

3. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    well then if you listen to books on tape you are free to join as well... its just an area to discuss different books.

Like Sunday I picked up this new book "A Galaxy NOt so Far Way: Writers and artists on 25 yrs of Star Wars."

So far I am only in the intro but its looking okay and has some promise expcet the guy made a big mistake in my book:

while Star Wars' robots are for the most part at least loyal, and in the case of 3po, quite useful.

makes me wonder if he saw ther movies. I thought R2 was the useful one. I must right the gentleman a letter to see if he intentionally did that.

4. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Anyone reading Tatooine Ghost?

Kind of a cheezy premise, but the sarcastic banter between Leia & Han make up for it.

Cool descriptions of Tatooine & various aliens...makes it much more interesting than the pile of dirt it appears on film. If anyone would like to borrow...let me know!

5. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    I'm up to chapter 21... so close to the end! 8-}

6. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    hi from up north.

that is a good bokk overall, but i have some gripes with it.

7. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    I finally got my copy of "Tatooine Ghost" on Wednesday from the library and finished it on Friday night.
    It has a few flaws, mostly having to do with continuity, but I enjoyed the banter between Han & Leia, plus the banter with the Squibs.
    It was also interesting seeing the journal entries of Shmi, getting more details on how she got her freedom, etc.

8. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I went through T-Ghost a bit ago. It was a bit predictable here and there (Especially when they said "new admiral"), but I did like the playing up of the contrast between Darth Vader and young Anikin. The journal entries was a really neat way of expanding on Shmi's character too.

I don't know how many people played, or read, the old West End Games version of the RPG...but I think they did a real good job with the Squib characters comparing them to how the species was developed in the game.

Trivia...The first appearance of Mace Windu was as the name of a Squib in Star Wars Adventure Journal (By W.E.G.) at least 5 years before Episode 1 came out

9. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    right now I am currently reading Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (I know I/m behind!)

10. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    I just finished reading "Shatterpoint". It deals exclusively with Mace Windu and his padawan Depa Billaba. It was pretty good.

11. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I hope it's good. I just picked it up from being on reserve at the library. Maybe I can cruise through it before the meeting...

Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....

12. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Brother:

I had mine on reserve as well. Since I work at one of the libraries I'm able to find out when the book has been ordered, so I put my name on the list right away. Let me know if there are any books you are itching to read and I can get you on the list sooner.

13. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Shatterpoint

I just finished this last night, and I'd like to say it wowed me.

What I liked:
    1. I liked Matthew Stover's writing style. Captured the essence of the Prequel universe.
    2. Mace Windu is one bad MF. Not only does he show he's the master of all lightsaber styles, but he even created one of his own.
    3. The inclusion of a background Jedi Council member.

What I didn't like:
    1. Some of Matthew Stover's writing style. Granted, Master Windu doesn't have a ton of screen time, but some of his dialogue seemed out of character. He's awesome, he know's he's awesome, but he doesn't show it. In the novel, he does more than that, he proves it nearly every chance he gets. Granted, this takes place after the Battle of Geonosis, and he's been changed by those events, but he's still been disciplined by the Jedi code longer than the war. Plus, I thought he was supposed to be second only to Yoda in the art of dueling, but Depa shows herself to be quite the swordslass as well... Kinda conflicting, if you ask me...
    2. Other dialogue from other characters. Tusker poop anyone?

Overall, though, I really liked the book and feel that it starts off the Clone Wars series rather well. You can see that it's not only Vader that destroy's the Jedi, but the whole event of the Clone Wars. You get a slight insight into Palpatine's mind. He's not the Sith Master for nothing. He's smart and slicker than a grease stained oil slick. Everything is falling right into his hands. Mace Windu shows why he's second only to Yoda. He is one bad man.

So, I highly recommend it if you are into non-canonical EU. It would be cool if this were referred to in EpIII, the same as Ansalon was in EpII. (By the way, another good book, The Approaching Storm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.