main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC [BOOK CLUB/EVENT] Allegiance by T. Zahn and StellarCon in High Point, NC Mar. 15th

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Book: Allegiance by Timothy Zahn
    Date: Saturday, March 15th Time TBA
    Place: TBA (See second post for details)

Synopsis

Never before has the incendiary mix of action, politics, and intrigue that has become Timothy Zahn?s trademark, been mmore evident that in this new Star Wars epic. On the heels of the stunning events chronicled in Star Wars: A New Hope, the newly minted heroes of the Rebellion?fledgling Jedi Luke Skywalker, smuggler turned reluctant freedom-fighter Han Solo, and Princess Leia Organa, a bold leader with a world to avenge?must face the harsh realities of the cataclysmic conflict into which they have so bravely plunged. From this point forward, legends will grow, treachery will abound, and lives will be irrevocably altered, in the long, hard fight to counter the fist of tyranny and restore hope to a galaxy too long in darkness.

The destruction of the Death Star by the Rebel Alliance was a decisive blow against the Empire, but Palpatine and his monstrous enforcer, Darth Vader, are no less of a threat. The brutal extermination of Alderaan not only demonstrated the magnitude of their murderous power, but served as a chilling testament to their resolve to crush the Rebel uprising. Standing against them, Skywalker, Solo, and the Princess remain uncertain opponents. Luke is gifted and brave, but unschooled in the power he possesses. Han has doubts about waging someone else?s war?and his contentiousness is one more burden for Leia to bear as she struggles to help keep the Rebellion alive. The three have been sent to mediate a dispute between Rebel Alliance factions in Shelsha Sector?agitating matters by forcing Han to deal not only with pirates, but with his more dreaded enemy, politics. At the same time, Mara Jade?all of eighteenand years away from her fateful meeting with Luke?is serving her evil master, Palpatine, well in her role as the Emperor?s Hand: tracking suspected treachery in the Empire to what may be high places?while trying to stay out of Darth Vader?s way.

But the Rebels will prove to be only one of the Empire?s concerns. For Imperial Stormtrooper Daric LaRone, his faith in the Empire shaken by the wanton destruction of Alderaan, will commit a sudden and violent act of defiance, and take four other enforcers with him, in a desperate bid to elude their masters? wrath.

Each of these fateful actions, whether sanctioned, secret, or scandalous, will expose brutality and corruption, spur upheavals destined to shake the Empire to its core, and shape momentous events yet to come.

As we have discussed in the Book Club planning thread the period before the book club meets is a "no spoiler" rule meaning if you post spoilers they must be Highlight-To-Read. Example: This is highlight to read. After the meeting spoilers can be posted without the markup codes.

Previous Book Club threads:

Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
    Darth Bane: Rule of Two by Drew Karpyshyn
    Shadows of the Empire and Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas
    Han Solo: Rebel Dawn by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin
    Dart

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We are working with Cheralyn Lambeth of the 501st to get a meeting with Timothy Zahn on Saturday the 15th at Stellarcon.

We're hoping to take him to lunch or when he has a break have him sit down with us so we can ply him with questions. [face_batting] If we take him to lunch I hope everyone will pitch in for the cost.

Stellarcon is a fun little con. There is a lot to do on that Saturday from a Costuming Workshop, to the Star Wars Extravaganza, readings by Zahn and Stackpole, a Costume Contest, Klingon Karaoke and more. Here is a link to the Programming. A Saturday only pass is $25. Plus there is a dealer room and maybe you too can find a shirt just like mine that says "DANGER - next mood swing in 5 minutes" :p

Here is the place to ask questions.

~Jada :)

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Peeps! I need your responses! Please!!!! [face_batting]

From T. Zahn to Cheralyn:

As to getting together with Jada's group, that sounds great. I don't yet have a final schedule, but we can either do the suggested pre-panel lunch, a later post-panel lunch, or just a sit-down-and- drink-Dr- Pepper group chat. (I'm inclined toward one of the latter two, just so that we don't have a forced end time if the discussion is going well.) Just ask her to poll her members and see which timing would work best for them, and as long as I'm not already booked I should be able to fit into their schedule.

See you all soon!.

Tim

With Tim's comments in mind please go to the StellarCon programming page and take a look at the schedule for Saturday. My initial thought is about about at 2:30pm?

4. Jedi_Stardancer

Jedi_Stardancer Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2007
    Yeah that sounds great! I'm in!

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey folks,

As any of you who have attended Cons before know the schedule always changes. Timothy's changed and he isn't free at 2:30pm anymore.

He is now available at 11:00 a.m. My suggestion is that we maybe consider an early lunch in the hotel. Last year they had a special menu for the Con (otherwise it is pricey).

What say you?

6. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2008
    sounds good, i eat lunch at 11 anyways

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, with the feedback I've gotten we are going to make it official for 11am unless Timothy says otherwise.

8. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

9. MrEBeast

MrEBeast Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2007
    Unfortunately, my car went out of order yesterday costing me a lot of money, so i am out for tomorrow. Do me a favor though Jada and ask Tim Z. when is he going to write the definitive Mara Jade origin novel? :)

Aaron

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Aaron, so sorry you missed this. :( It was a lot of fun.

I'm still pretty tired [face_tired] but I will post a recap of our lunch with Zahn.

11. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Aaron, I asked Tim your question. His answer was that half the fans want the backstory of Mara and the other half does not. He feels that there are certain things about her past that should remain a mystery. So it does not look like we will see a book about Mara's history. [face_frustrated]

We had a great time with Tim and his wife Anna. Instead of going to the hotel restaurant Tim invited us up to his room. We hung out, ordered pizza and talked books. Again, it was a great time and we were very lucky that Tim took the time to talk to us. Here is a link to pictures from the whole day and the pic's from lunch with Tim are in there. Enjoy...

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/StellarCon%202008/?start=all

12. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Tomorrow I'm handing over to Cheralyn Lambeth a packaged t-shirt with the following letter:

July 3, 2008

Dear Timothy:

We?d like to once again thank you for meeting with our book club at Stellarcon this past March. We all really enjoyed meeting you and discussing your books with you. Thank you for allowing us this unique opportunity!

Enclosed is a Charlotte Fan Force t-shirt. We hope you will enjoy it!

May The Force Be With You Always,

Jada
    Chapter Representative

Luis and I covered the cost of the t-shirt. It was $10. If anyone is interested in donating a dollar our pockets are open. :p [face_money_eyes]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.