main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC [Book Club] Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn, Sat Feb 16 @11am - Jumper the movie to follow

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Book: Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
    Date: Saturday, February 16 at 11am
    Place: Beatties Ford Road Library

As we have discussed in the Book Club planning thread the period before the book club meets is a "no spoiler" rule meaning if you post spoilers they must be Highlight-To-Read. Example: This is highlight to read. After the meeting spoilers can be posted without the markup codes.

Synopsis:

"It began as the ultimate voyage of discovery - only to become the stuff of lost Republic legend ... and a dark chapter in Jedi history. Now, at last, author Timothy Zahn returns to tell the whole story of the remarkable - and doomed - Outbound Flight Project." "The Clone Wars have yet to erupt when Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth petitions the Senate for support of a singularly ambitious undertaking. Six Jedi Masters, twelve Jedi Knights, and fifty thousand men, women, and children will embark - aboard a gargantuan vessel, equipped for years of travel - on a mission to contact intelligent life and colonize undiscovered worlds beyond the known galaxy. The government bureaucracy threatens to scuttle the expedition before it can even start - until Master C'baoth foils a murderous conspiracy plot, winning him the political capital he needs to set in motion the dream of Outbound Flight." "Or so it would seem. For unknown to the famed Jedi Master, the successful launch of the mission is secretly being orchestrated by an unlikely ally: the evil Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, who has his own reasons for wanting Outbound Flight to move forward ... and, ultimately, to fail." "Yet Darth Sidious is not the mission's most dangerous challenge. Once under way, the starship crosses paths at the edge of Unknown Space with the forces of the alien Chiss Ascendancy and the brilliant mastermind best known as "Thrawn." Even Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, aboard Outbound Flight with his young Padawan student, Anakin Skywalker, cannot help avert disaster. Thus what begins as a peaceful Jedi mission is violently transformed into an all-out war for survival against staggering odds - and the most diabolical of adversaries." Timothy's Zahn's unique mix of espionage, political gamesmanship, and deadly interstellar combat breathes electrifying life into a Star Wars legend.

Previous Book Club threads:

Darth Bane by Drew Karpyshyn
    Shadows of the Empire and Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas
    Han Solo: Rebel Dawn by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves
    Darth Bane: Pathway to Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Lucerno
    Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover
    Labyrinth of Evil discussion

Also, just so folks are aware we do use the Book Club as o

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We'll be going to see the 3:10 showing!

3. MrEBeast

MrEBeast Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2007
    Sorry, I am not going to make it after all today. I'm fighting a bad cold that has gone haywire since yesterday. I hope to see you guys next month.

Aaron

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Very understandable Aaron. Feel better soon.

We had a nice discussion at book club:

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0401010011.jpg]

and then went to lunch. I had a fantastic burrito. Keela wants one next time.

The movie was good but it left a lot of questions so now we need to read the book :p

After the movie I left TK-2970 for McDreamy :p

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0401010012.jpg]

5. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I'm not sure if everyone's copy of Outbound Flight included the short story Mist Encounter but mine did. I went back and read it and I got to say that it was a great story. If you have not read it you need to. I was glad I went back and read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.