main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Book Club Update: Stacky's Special Presentation

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Hello fellow readers this is the Book Club Fuhrer. Tomorrow (Tuesday, April 24, 2007) will be that magical time of the month when we gather to discuss SW novels/comics. As many of you know April is without a new SW paperback novel and the SW comic books are in the middle of storyline arcs. So tomorrow Stacky will give us a preview of a non-SW novel series by Matthew Stover. The author Stover is a former/future SW novel author. I look forward to learning more about Stover's own creations from Stacky. So join us at 7pm at the Evansville Borders bookstore for the meeting.

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I have a feeling no-one will have read the book, mainly as the only one sold was bought like a month before I was given go-ahead to use it for book club :p

But oh well, I can do a book report :p

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    If I said that I read the book, would you believe me? :confused:

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    I dunno, it's kinda text-heavy for your usual preferences, Cole :p

Although I'd be very pleasantly surprised if you have. (Take no offence at the surprise ... it's just I know nearly no-one who's read the thing :p)

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Actaully, I didn't read it. :oops:

I just wanted to see what you would say.

6. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Once in a while no new SW novels or finished comic book storyline arcs will be available for club REVIEW. So it makes sense to open the meetings to non-SW novels and comic books. It is the perfect opportunity for PREVIEWS. Note the differences between reviews and previews. Special speakers (like Stacky's presentation tonight) should use the meeting to introduce a potential reader to the speaker's favorite non-SW material. So it is no big deal if the non-SW novel or comic book has not been read by those attending the meeting. Stacky hit the nail on the head when he stated that it is akin to a book report. It is a chance for those attending the meeting to see what else is out there on the shelves. After being introduced to the non-SW material the attendee may want to read the material previewed. All-in-all this method is a win-win situation. This month and next are SW dry spells. This month Stacky will preview Stover's non-SW material. Next month will also be without fresh SW literature in paperback form. Sure I'd love to review LOTF Book 5: Sacrifice - but it is a hardback. So we'll have another meeting centered on non-SW material. The topic for the month of May will be the first ten issues of the Battlestar Galactica comic book (based on new show). The material for the month of June might be the paperback edition of Darth Bane: Path To Destruction. Beyond that will be the next wave of LOTF paperbacks and Republic Commando: True Colors.

7. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    I will be unable to attend this month as I am at work.

8. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    *stab stab stab* :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.