main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book Club (ver 2.0 for real)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kosure, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Alright ladies and gentlemen, lets try this again.

We're starting up a book club. Only older books for now. Starting with the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and the book ;

JEDI SEARCH
    by Kevin Anderson

This bookclub is to create a place where people will be more inclined to stay and read all the posts, and help to continue a dialouge, as opposed to the 'hit and run' posting that happens in just plain book discussion threads.

In addition, I'd like to say that I'd like it to contain less chit-chat or al least as much chit chat as actual dialouge, so its easier for people to read, and begin to contribute to the dialouge than if they have to wade through thirty pages of inside jokes that they don't get.

So post and say you're in, and when we get a few people We can start reading.

-Kosure

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Spookily enough I just started re-reading Jedi search this morning on the bus to work.

Get to work and what do I see?

Sound good I'm up for it.

3. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Excellent FATBURT.

Now all we need is some more people!!!

4. anakins_right_arm

anakins_right_arm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    this is a really good idea, and you should keep it going, but i cant join in untill i finish rouge planet, attack of the clones, (i read the clone wars novels) then revenge of the sith... then i was gunna read anh, esb, sote, rotj, truce at bakura, courtship of leia, and then thrawn trilogy

when im done with all those, id love to be a part of a star wars book club via tfn literature forums

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, geez . . .

I'm in. Always up for real in-depth discussion of literature. Or, if literature isn't available, Kevin J. Anderson. :p

Kidding . . . kidding.

6. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Awesome. Keep 'em coming people. I'm shooting for more than five.

COME ON, its a LIT forum, you guys (and gals) read right?

7. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    I'll join, but I have to finish the book in my sig first (hlafway done)

lets all get AIM, so we can discuss in a chat once a week. saturday, maybe. Then move on to the next book. this has potential.

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Right finished Jedi Search yesterday just started dark apprentice..

What's the plan with this by the way are we just saying read this book next or are we actually looking to discuss them?

9. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    This is totally about discussion. Unfortunatly the rest of us havn't started reading it yet. So maybe read something else until we finish this one, and discuss it, so we can read and discuss the next one, together.

10. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    I'll join, but I might not be as active as I'd like till summer. Then again, I have been meaning to reread all those good old books. And start Hard Contact, are you sure you don't want to read that too? It's kinda old.

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Or, if literature isn't available, Kevin J. Anderson.

[face_laugh]

No I'm not in. I read JAT a month or 2 ago. I'm reading the NJO right now. Then I'm scouring Marvel, CSW and GoDV for continuity errors to torture people here with. Then I'm going over the Clone Wars again before RotS.

12. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Awesome YODA DA MAX, great to have you on board. Any comments we can get that will further our discussion will be greatly appreciated.

EVERYONE, I think that I'll leave things open until Saturday, to see if anyone else wants to jump on board, and then we'll offically start reading.

-KOSH

13. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    whoops, double post

14. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Well Everyone Saturday (for me Central Time) ended twenty nine minutes ago. So, that means that we're offically starting to read. I'll probablly get around to sending PMs to everyone tomorrow. So, that puts our finishing date at exactly [bold]Saturday April 9th[/bold]

Everyone else. That doesn't mean you can't join us, in fact we'd love it if you did. Get yer hands on a copy of JEDI SEARCH, and finish it by April 9th.

Happy reading.

15. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Ill join in your book club, I'm almost finished with Jedi Search.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Any PM to me will bounce at the moment as I have no connection at home, only through work and I can't use work e.mail for this.

I should be on at home by the 9th though.

17. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    done.

Should I get started on the next one or what?

If you dont mind looking dorky, you can take he book to school and read it on the bus or whenever, or at work or whatever. I read it during my free time when there is nothing better to do (school/work)

how close are the rest of ya'll to being done?

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've....er....finished the trilogy, read SOA, a book on supermarket monopolies and just started Yoda DR.

So I think I'm ready for the the 9th

19. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    we can read the whole thing? hot dang, ty for the note.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I think the idea is just to read Jedi search so it can be discussed and we would move on to the rest of the book over time.

I'm just a stupidly fast reader and due to the amount of time I spend on the bus each day I have plenty of time to read.

21. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Optimally everyone reads all of them at the same pace. Its okay if you've already read it. (or them) If you have though, you might want to leaf through it so it can be fresh in your mind for discussion.

You can go ahead and start the next one if you want, but keep in mind, the freshness of the material, in your mind.

22. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    ok, I already am deep in (150pg) the 2nd one. I think we should bump the date to b4 april 9th. I'll write down some points of topic I want to discuss.

I used to think this series sucked. after re-reading it, its not so bad.

23. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Alright everyone. Today is April ninth. That means TIME IS UP!!!
    I think first we should all go around and say thumbs up or thumbs down.

Me; Thumbs UP

(first timers: You are more than welcome to Join us, but scroll up to the top, and look at my first couple of posts. we are about creating a dialouge, thats why this is called a book club and not a discussion thread. Thanks)

24. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    This thread is a great idea. I'm in. It's been a really long time since I read Jedi Search, but I'll leaf through it and jump in the discussion at some point.

25. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    sorry double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.