main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book Club (ver 2.0 for real)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kosure, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    What about Chewbacca, and Han? What did people think of their story line?

I think its really cool that all the mining has to be done in the dark. I mean, we've all heard of the Spice Mines of Kessel. But I had no idea thats what they would be like.

What do people think of the Glassy Spider of Energy and DOOM? I think it was a little over the top. I mean, come on. A spider made of glass. That feeds off of energy. That doesn't seem very plausible to me.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Glass Spiders could be a theoretical possibilty if they are silicon based creatures (I remember reading something about silicon based life some where, and it wasn't Star Trek!!)

And why is no one responding with more regularity I thought this was meant to be a book club.

3. darthmace7

darthmace7 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 15, 2003
    I would like to join. You can tell me when we start a different one of I can read Jedi Search in a day or two... whichever you'd prefer.

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    So where are we up to so far.

I think it's commonly agreed that

1- Han and Chewie have their traditional fun which just become implausable (but no more than usual :p )

2- Luke is incredibly broody but this can be expected as he has the whole Jedi order to restart and has limited training material, no training site, is unsure of the support he will receive and worst of all no students.

3- Daala is either incompetant, naive, stupid or a combination of all three [face_plain]

Regarding the book I think most people agree that it's not one of the strongest book written and does have some character flaws and the writing style isn't fantastic but the book does introduce us too new potential Jedi such as Streen, Gantoris, Kyp et al which help make the EU the place we know and in the main love today. :D :D :D

What does anyone else think?

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, the book does introduce us to Kyp and he's okay in this one. In the next two books of the series, however, he would get absolutely insufferable.

Strangely, he was redeemed in the NJO and was one of my favorite characters in that arc.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Regarding Kyp I don't really think he was redeemed in the NJO, personally I think his approach in the NJO was correct but premature. Any good tactician knows the best course of action to take with an unknown opponent is to gather intel.

Luke approach was to gather intel, Kyp was all out assault, however kyp was on the backfoot as a result all throughout the NJO except for the last couple of books. This is why I don't yet think he is redeemed, he isn't far off but he has some sucking up to do yet.

Regarding the book, those who haven't read on will not be aware of Kyp "little slip" :p but the red shimmer on his scan shows he has the potential to head towards the red lightsaber club :D o_O

Now lets get this discussion back on track or should we head to the sequel? [face_thinking] :)

7. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    well, I dont think daala is stupid or naive.

1. She chases after sun crusher because its the most powerful weapon ever. She needs to do something ,even a desperate attempt to capture it.

2. I didnt like how they whittle her down though, that was kind of lame. one SD at a time. I;'d rather one blaze of glory.

8. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    What do people think about having an AIM chat about the book. I know this isn't on the topic of book discussion, but it'd be too hard to do it any other way.

I say yes.

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    AIM???? :confused:

Not familiar with this or at least I don't think I am.

I assume IM stands for instant messaging but the A=???

Either way if it helps and I find out what it is I'll be up for it.

10. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Maybe . . . depends on when you schedule it for.

And I didn't mean that Kyp was correct or anything, but he was turned into an interesting character. He was interesting to read about, his conflict was realistic, he brought a dose of energy to any scene he was in and his realization of truth (around Dark Journey, if I recall correctly) was emotional and resonant.

He became a sympathetic and interesting character in the NJO, two things he'd never been before to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.