main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Book conversations

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by SirLancelot, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    Hey, I just thought it would be a good idea to set up a board for those of us who keep talking about the books in other forums.

Now we can discuss novels, answer questions, and debate the EU versus the trilligies.

2. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    Sounds like a plan.:) Does anyone here have an opinion on Vergere? Is she a Jedi gone bad, or does she have another motive?

3. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    I could nover figure out whos sice vergere was on! funny thing is, i have a hard time remembering some of the earlier books in the series. Wasent she explaind as being a bird like creature that was in leauge with Norm Anor?

If you are paying attention after Anikans death, what happend to Jacen? HE vanished going after the vile vergere and hasent been heard of scence. So far there have been three or four books without him. Has he been captured? Just another offshot idea.

4. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, in Rogue Planet, Obi-Wan and Anakin go look for her, because she turns up missing. And, it does mention that she goes off with an alien race from outside the galaxy, leaving a message that Anakin is able to pick up on. I personally think that she left on purpose to find out what she could at the time, but the Vong have somehow turned her to their side. I understand that Jacen is going to turn up, I believe in the next set of paperbacks. But, will he still be the same person? It's possible that Jacen will no longer be the person he was, or completely gone to the dark side.

5. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    Wait, im confused. I never read rouge planet, nor do i intend to. I just remember some bird thingy that had a similer or the same name. Im gonna read that again and try to get things straight. Man my head hurts right noe just trying to remember

6. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    Ok, New topic.

Isent Thrawn brilliant! I mean, creating strategy from studying a cultures art! He learns their art and then knows how to combat them.

Second, we know that Heir to the Empire was first published in 1991, in your opinion, would you go according to the past that the Eu shows, or the past that George Lucas shows? and why.

7. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Yeah, that's pretty radical about Thrawn using art to take them out so to speak.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question regarding "Heir to the Empire". Are you asking if I had a choice between the past of EU or the past that Lucas states, which one would I choose? If you are, then I don't have a choice, because to me they are separate. I know most people don't see it that way, but I tend to keep my thoughts on the movies and the books apart. Two different mediums.

And, yes Vergere was the one with the feathery things on top of her head. She is the reason that Anakin and Obi-Wan are sent out on a mission to look for her, as she turns up missing. And, then to show up nearly 60 years later with the Vong, well there is something there. If Del Rey had intended for her to be a minor character, we would never heard anything about her again, but turned out to be much more. As we will probably find out when the next paperback comes out in September, as that's when Jacen is supposed to come back.

8. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    I have no idea why i brought that Thrawn thing up, maybe cause i have been reading Heir to the Empire again, now im on Dark Force Rising.

That answer you gave me for the EU past vrsus Lucas's past is kind of what i was expecting. From the two sides we have two views of the past. What i ment by being published in 1991 is to say that Zahn wrote his past before Lucas did, so as a result we get a line in the sand so to speak. The result is we get two different Star Wars stories, so some people cant chose, others stay strongly on one side. By what side you chose we get two kinds of Star Wars fans so by determiningh what side your on can be seen by who you side with, Lucas or the EU.

9. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i think i killed this thread

10. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    lets get this going again

i want to know what your favorite books are, any book, not only star wars. keep the list to 10.

mine:
    1. The Killer Angles- Micheal Shaara
    2. Black Hawk Down- Mark Bowden
    3. The Martian Chronicals- Ray Bradbury
    4. Patton: War as i Know it- Gen. George Patton
    5. Heir to the Empire Trilligy- Timothy Zahn
    6. I, Jedi- Micheal Stackpole
    7. The Hunt for Red October- Tom Clancy
    8. Clear and Present Danger- Tom Clancy
    9. Into the Wild Blue- Steven Ambrose
    10. Band of Brothers- Steven Ambrose

11. ChromiumTHC

ChromiumTHC Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm more into Cyberpunk actually. And I definitely can't give a top 10 cause there's too many books.

But mostly Neal Stephenson and William Gibson stuff.

Although from the star wars stuff I think the Thrawn Trilogy still tops it.

12. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    is it just me, or has the life gone out of here

13. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    I have been computer-less for a week or so, so I didn't see your message until now.
    There are so many books that I think are excellent, I don't think I could name them right off the top of my head. But, some of my favorite books are:

1. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant(all 6 books)
    2. Foundation books by Asimov
    3. Mindstar Rising,A Quantum Murder, & the
    Nano Flower by Peter Hamilton, great
    British Sci-fi author, and excellent
    trilogy.
    4. Dune

That's all I can think of for now.

14. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I've stumbled across Terry Pratchett just recently...very humourous (kind of Douglas Adamsy but even more warped if that's possible!) fantasy/sci-fi. Good if you're in the mood for that kind of humor.

15. ChromiumTHC

ChromiumTHC Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I've heard good omens is good by pratchett but havent had the chance to pick it up.

16. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    For some weird reason I went against all my philosophies and bought 5 of his books (including Good Omens) sight unseen and having heard nothing about them. So far so good! (I think I'll start omens next and let you know).

17. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Two different people I've talked to in the last couple of years loved "Good Omens", so I think you'll enjoy it.

18. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Skyra, I am LOVING The Hutt Gambit! I am so glad I checked it out!

19. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    I knew you would! I will try and keep an eye out for the first and third one for you, so you can get the whole picture. It's really a great trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.