main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jersey Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BellaSabrina, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I just finished this book today. This is one of the best books I have read in a very very long time. I am lending it to Gary now, and when he's done with it, I'm reading it again. Anyone else read this?

2. DropKickAnt

DropKickAnt Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    I started reading it, but never got past the first few pages....b/c i was reading a different book

word is that a movie with Tom Hanks is in the works

3. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Yes. Tom Hanks will be playing the role as Robert Langdon. They made a great choice.

Ant, finish the book. It's worth it.

4. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I meant to read that book over the summer, but I just ran out of time to actually sit down and read it. but I hope to read it soon.

5. DarthYJTyranus

DarthYJTyranus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2002
    Awesome book! I agree Marie. So suspenseful and full of twists you never see coming. I have also read Angels and Demons which also involves Langdon and is sort of a prequel to the Davinci Code. Almost as good as Davinci and also worth a read. FINISH IT Ant! It's so worth it.

JERRY T

6. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I read the book in roughly three days, an absolutely incredible book. However, I enjoyed Angels and Demons more. You should definitely check that one out Marie, along with Deception Point, both are great.

7. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I still have yet to buy Angels & Demons. I have three books on my shelf right now that I just got. Angels & Demons will probably be on my list by February.

I want to start reading it again. But Gary needs to read it. Breaking the DaVinci Code is on National Geographic on Sunday. Can't wait to watch it!

8. DarthYJTyranus

Jan 5, 2002
    It's a really well done documentary. I saw it a few weeks ago. I don't know what you think of religion, but for me after reading the book and seeing that special I sort of believe some of the stuff. I'm not religious at all, but being raised Catholic, I can understand why the church would want those ideas kept quiet. BTW I'm curious, what books are you planning to read next? I pretty much am always into some book, but I need to start looking for more material. I usually stick with sci-fi horror/fantasy stuff, but I will read anything if its good.

JERRY T

9. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I read the Code and it was one of those that was hard to put down. There's been a ton of sites that rip the book apart, pointing out the inaccuracies in things. But it is a work of fiction so...like, whatever :) It made for a good read!

10. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    What people failed to realize is that Dan Brown wrote a work of FICTION. LMAO! I love the religious people all up in arms about it, when they should realize that it is only a fiction novel! I had a hard time putting it down too. I read on my way to work and on my way home, and sometimes on my lunch break if it's quiet enough. I few times, I almost missed my stop and I went back to read a few more sentences before going back to work!!

I'm now reading Northern Lights by Nora Roberts (she's a romance writer). On my list is The Nighttime is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark & 3rd Degree by James Patterson. 3rd Degree is in a series. 1st To Die & 2nd Chance are the other two. VERY GOOD BOOKS. I love James Patterson.

11. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    My reading these days doesn't much get outside of SW stuff, since I try to keep up with all the new books! Almost finished with the MedStar duology then it's on to Jedi Trial, the lead-in to Ep3. And I have a good amount of kiddie books to catch up on too, oy!

Re: religious folk. I can't wait to see the protests when the movie opens ;)

12. DarthYJTyranus

Jan 5, 2002
    I know who Nora Roberts is only because my mother reads her stuff. Never read any Patterson, but his book titles are great. I am still very behind in my SW reading. I'm still in the New Jedi Order books. It's a little depressing now that I'm less than 200 pages rom finishing the final book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I've read almost all his books except for three. The Dark Tower is kind of his master work. It involves characters and places from almost all of his books. I might try another Dan Brown soon. Didn't the Teacher in the Davinci Code remind you of Palpatine/Sidious in SW?

JERRY T

13. DropKickAnt

Dec 4, 2004
    Jerry you should check out some books by David Gemmel or Raymond Feist

my two favorite authors

I recommend you star with "Magician" by Raymond Feist

marie maybe we should have this be a book discussion forum

14. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Good idea. I'll get the thread title changed so we can discuss literature!

Believe it or not, I haven't read ANY Star Wars books. I really have no desire to, because I just can't get into EU. I bought my brother the Young Jedi Tales, and I'm sure he'll read those. Who knows. I might start reading them, IN ORDER. I know Meri gave Gary the order once, and I'm sure a few of you know the order.....that's the only way I'll read them.

Yes, the Teacher DID have shades of Sidious. It was great! Oh, and the documentary that's on National Geographic on Sunday is called Unlocking the DaVinci Code, not Breaking the DaVinci Code. My error!

I asked for a gadzillion books for Christmas. One of them is James Patterson's new book London Bridges, which is part two to his book Big Bad Wolf. It's an Alex Cross novel, and if anyone's read James Patterson, it's the same character from Kiss the Girls. I also asked for Sean Hannity's book, and I forgot to ask for Bill O'Reilly's. Oh well....Barnes & Noble, anyone? Oh yeah, January!

15. DropKickAnt

Dec 4, 2004
    I have been meaning to get hannity's and oreilly's books its just that i have been reading so much that i havent gotten to them yet

perhaps sometime this summer i can get to them lol

16. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Bella, I'd highly recommend you at least read Shadows of the Empire. IMO it's one of the best EU books ever. It covers some time between ESB and Jedi with only a few new characters introduced.

17. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Shadows of the Empire was a good book, I read a few years back. :)

18. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    DarthGyos has it, and lucky for me, I know where I put it when we did a cleaning :) I think I can fit it in between the books that I bought off of Literary Guild and the book my mom lent me tonight.

And, I got $75 worth of gift cards to Barnes & Nobles too :) (Thanks to Antknee & my parents!)

19. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    YESSSSS!!!!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince has been annouced as completed according to JK Rowling's official website. The release date will be announced tomorrow!! I'm so excited!

20. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    This was the first thing I saw when I signed on. I was about to post it too. I am absolutely excited about this! Call it a birthday present from JKR! :)

21. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Yeah! I love the Harry Potter books! :) [face_dancing]

22. DarthYJTyranus

Jan 5, 2002
    It's great news, but it stinks that we have to wait til July 16.

JERRY T

23. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    I know, but at least we don't have to wait at least a year or two before the book comes out. :)

24. DropKickAnt

Dec 4, 2004
    The new Feist book comes out in March and Book 2 of the Eragon Saga comes out in August after like a year and a half of waiting

25. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    YEAH! the next Eragon book comes out in August, sweet, I liked the first one. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.