main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidWest book fans-

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Club_333, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    it looks like the indy knights will host karen traviss in june. we are looking to avoid dates with really bad conflicts. we are looking at june 9. if anyone can give good reason to avoid that, let us know. otherwise, please feel free to join us... especially if you can't make c4.

and we're thinking about adding a paintball event to go along with it.

please share with the rest of the midwest.

thanks!

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I would love to come, I just worry about my finances around then. After C4, I'll be quite broke. But then again, Indy is only 3-4 hours from here, so the drive wouldn't be too bad.

The date sounds fine to me otherwise, don't think anything else is going on around then. Please keep us updated!

3. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Is this a book signing like with Aaron Allston last summer, or is Ms. Traviss just making a guest appearance at an event/meeting?

4. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    assuming everything works out just right, it will be a booksigning

5. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Awesome, I'll be there!

6. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    official date& time for karen traviss signing:
    thursday, may 31, 7 p.m.
    barnes & noble
    14709 us 31 north
    carmel, in 46032
    317-844-2501

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yikes, that'll be a seven hour drive. No promises, but I'll see what I can do :) Thanks for the update!

8. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    karen's only in the u.s. for a short time. i had to take the only day free in her schedule. we are working with a couple other noteables to make the signing worth the trip.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm holding out hope to be able to make it. Putting something on TFN now for you.

10. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    add special guests:

Tom Hodges
    www.tomhodges.com

Matt Busch
    www.mattbusch.com

11. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Oh I love Tom Hodges!! Maybe we can pack into one car Dajuan...

I will see if I can generate some interest here in St. Louis; this sounds like fun! :D

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I would be coming from Des Moines though. It's only a three hour drive from St. Louis.

13. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Oh, I didn't realize you would already be up there...

14. GoldLeader74

GoldLeader74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    I am hoping to be there. Im sure more of the Hoosier Alliance will be there too.

15. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    Next Saturday, May 19, The Indy Knights, Indianapolis' premiere Star Wars Fan Club, will be hosting a fundraiser at Paintball Indiana, just south of Camby. The event starts at Noon, but you will want to arrive around 11-11:30 in order to register and gear up.

Cost is $35, if you need to rent equipment (masks, paintball marker, pack); $30 if you bring your own. Paint is $15 for 250 balls, or $40 for 1,000. Visa and MasterCard are taken at the field. Personal checks are not allowed. It is acceptable to bring your own paint balls. Directions to the field:
    www.paintballindiana.com/web-content/documents/directions.pdf

Please let me know if you are planning to attend! I need to let the field owner know how many players to expect so he can have adequate staffing for the event. As an incentive for attending this event, the first 25 paid entries will be given a Group 1 line ticket guaranteeing you priority placement in the line at the book signing. In others words, you will be moved to the front of the line!

Anthony

Frequently Asked Questions:

1- Does paintball hurt? Does getting tackled in football hurt? Does getting kicked in the shins in soccer hurt? There is a small amount of pain followed by some bruising. Most people come to accept these as badges of accomplishment.

2- How old do you have to be? The minimum age allowed at the field is 10. Kids actually have a strategic advantage because they are usually smaller than adults making them harder to hit.

3- What should I wear? Paintball is a dirty sport. Even if you manager to avoid getting shot all day, you will be playing in the woods on a dirt floor. Many new players wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Knee pads and elbow pads help with sliding. If you are so inclined to look like a paintballer, I recommend a visit to Indy Extreme at 96th and Keystone (http://www.indyextreme.net/). Tell Dan I said 'Hi'. Also, remember to bring an extra set of clothes (and shoes) to change into after the event. The 'paint' used is water soluble and washes out in the laundry. I recommend washing the clothes immediately upon getting home.

4- What should I bring? Bring a towel. They do sell snack food and soda at the field, but if you think you might need more, feel free to bring some. Bring an extra set of clothes for after the event.

5- Is paintball safe? Paintball is actually one of the safest sports. It is safer than Mountain Biking, Skiing, Golfing, Bowling, Softball, Football, Soccer, Skateboarding, Baseball, Hockey, and Kayaking, just to name a few. It is even safer than being a Sports Mascot. The main way to be safe is to wear your mask as directed. The field is insured, just in case.

6- How much? $50 per person will get you a basic day of fun. $10 of that will go to the Indy Knights to help cover the cost of bringing the artists to town. MasterCard and Visa are accepted. You can bring your own paint.

7- Can I bring friends? Yes! Paintball is a very friendly game. After almost every single game, people sit around and talk about who shot who and how bad they are going to get them next time. I recommend inviting everyone you know.

8- Won't I just get pasted by the experienced people? The field tries to balance experienced players with inexperienced players so that no side has an easy advantage. Most experienced players try to teach the newer players better skills (it is more fun to shoot a skilled player). Listen to the experienced players and you should do fine.

9- Do I have to be a Star Wars Fan for this event? NOPE. You just have to be willing to support the cause!

10- Is the line ticket transferable to any other event? No.

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Hey, how'd the event go? Pics?

17. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.