main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book lengths from DRIN

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin SkySolo, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    When will these people learn?

2. _admiral_kettch_

_admiral_kettch_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    I'd say more Star Wars is always better than less Star Wars.:)

3. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    Amen to that brother.

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think that VotF is a pefect example of 'bigger being better.' In my opinion, it is easily the best SW novel to be released so far. Sure, it was a bit inconsistent in some places, but it is still leagues ahead of the majority of EU novels. And, call me crazy, but I think SxS will top even that. Will it be the best SW novel ever ? We'll know soon enough.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    There's two factors, in the main, that will ruin a longer book in a series:

1) Author incompetence. If the author can't pace the story well, if the author can't write well, if the author can't make you care, then it won't be good.

2) Boredom. If the book is long but boring, if it doesn't go anywhere or isn't relevant to the plot of the series, it probably won't be as good.

The most frequent problem that authors run into writing longer books is that they lose focus; they'll spend too long with minor characters and plot points or whatever. Either that, or they'll fill a long book with so many characters and subplots that it doesn't work out.

This is the problem with Jordan's latest two books. You'll notice that book nine of Wheel of Time takes place before the epilogue of book eight. If they had cut out about 50 pages of Matt wondering about the cannon, 200 pages of Perrin standing around doing nothing, another 200 pages of incompetent Aes Sedai running around the tower, those two books could have and should have been 1 long, tight, focussed awesome book. Instead, they were two unfocussed, subpar books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.