main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books BOOK OF SITH! Now you too can Force choke friends and family! Hours of fun and unlimited power!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    You should be able to remove and replace the crystal fairly easily, though there is a trick to it. After you remove it, if you run your finger over the plastic slots where it goes, you'll feel two indentations. The tips of the crystal fit into those indentations, and if you fit one end of the crystal into its indentation, the other end of the crystal should just snap in. If it doesn't work try putting the opposite end of the crystal in first.

Dan

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I wonder if that's a reference to Ghost, the comic from Tales 11 that involves a young Han Solo and Quin. I haven't read Book of Sith for context, it sounds like it might be.

3. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I have a quick question for Dan: People around me are understandably impressed with the Holocron, and want to see it open again and again. Will the case stand up to frequent use, or should I limit opening and closing it to prevent it breaking?

Also, you did an amazing job with the book! I especially liked the section with Mother Talzin's interpretation of the Force. I always assumed the Nightsisters were strictly dark side users, but it looks like they have a sense of balance, though it is twisted.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You've got them under mind control? This book of Sith is sounding better and better.

Make sure not to twist their minds too much. Don't want to end up with mindless husks as followers, like with Nihilus.

(Speaking of which, are Sion, Nihilus, Traya, or the Sith Triumvirate in general mentioned at all?)

5. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Regarding the case I don't honestly know, but my copy of the Jedi Path vault has been opened many hundreds of times with no incident so I'm guessing it's been built to last.

Thanks for the Nightsister comments! I was thinking they definitely skew dark side, but they take more of a predator/prey view of the world and therefore would have a better intuitive sense on how they fit into the natural balance. Unlike, say, Palpatine.

Dan

6. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Time to comment on that one. Since I have little time right now (I really like the holocron and its sounds - it's a most secure way to make yourself an utter fool in front of your girlfriend ;-)). And I mean this in a positive way, of course... Every sane man always secretly dreamed in his heart to open his own Sith Holocron!

But I have issues with it:

1. Most importantly, I resent the fact that Darth Sidious refers to Darth Tyranus always as 'Count Dooku'! Why is that, Dan? There is no 'Hego Damask' for Plagueis from Palpatine, nor a 'Skywalker' for Vader. I really don't understand this. Such things really annoyed me.

2. It's irritating to me that the original Dark Jedi who ended up conquering the Sith would refer to themselves in their own writings as 'Dark Jedi'. This makes little sense, as at least in my opinion they would either consider themselves 'True Jedi' or something like that (if they still considered themselves to be Jedi), or as something entirely else. Say, for instance, as 'Those Who Rule the Darkness' or something like that.
    But 'Dark Jedi' is essentially, at least in my opinion, a term to refer to fallen Jedi from the POV of the un-fallen Jedi, or from guys who have no clue about this whole Jedi religion thing.
    As a member of this cabal of rogue Jedi 'Dark Jedi' would incline that there is something like a 'Light Jedi'. And that's not the case. If I understand the various schisms correctly, the goal was always to change the Jedi Order as a whole! From Xendor to Darth Ruin. So those 'Dark Jedi' really would consider themselves the true Jedi, and the others (who exiled them) as weaklings, things from the past, cravens, etc.

3. There is a minor error considering Darth Plagueis: The Muun never was the chairman of the IBC. He was Magister of Damask Holdings - an enterprise closely associated with the IBC, but he himself or his cronies were never in control of IBC until Damask-schooled San Hill toppled the Toniths.

4. Lord Shadowspawn never was a Sorcerer of Rhand. That was Cronal/Blackhole, and Luke was aware of that fact. Lord Shadowspawn was a puppet (Kar Vastor) created by Cronal.

5. Not sure about Sidious admitting that he had no clue what Plagueis was doing/aiming at with his life-creating experiments. It is not in Darth Sidious's character to admit outright (even in private) that he does not understand what somebody else is doing. He would ridiculed him insted, I guess. It would also have been more fitting if Sid had referred to Plagueis in his commentary as his 'teacher' or 'tutor' rather than his 'Master' considering the '(...) but Master, never!' line from DP.
    It might have also been interesting to elaborate something on Plagueis and Sidious force-shifting ritual closely about the time of Anakin's creation. Apparently, Plagueis - despite his scientific approach - did believe in something like 'the will/balance of the Force' (every action causes a reaction, and thus the Sith have to be consciously wary of the force striking back if they were to be successful). Not so Sidious. That's why he failed. Together Plagueis and Sidious had the potential to rule for all eternity. But I have to compliment you on that section. Reading it has fully reconciled me - and possibly many others - with the whole PT concept of midi-chlorians.
    Although it would have been fitting if the artwork showed Muuns instead of humans, and Plagueis certainly would have used 'muunoid' instead of 'humanoid'. But that are really just tidbits ;-).

6. Thinking about the whole immortality thing, it would have been quite interesting to jump on the chance and reveal that Sidious actually was privy to the midi-chlorian-eternal-youth-technique (in DP it's at least inclined that Plagueis shared that secret with his apprentice). Thus it could have been explained why Ian McDiarmid looks this much less rotten in ROTS (pre-lighting) than in AOTC! And it would also explain why Palpatine has not visibly changed between ROTS and ROTJ!
    This would not necessarily contradict the clone-transfer-stuff since it's evident that clon

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Vitiate is not a Darth.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I was afraid this might had happened.

9. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Makes sense to me. For Palpatine, Dooku was nothing other than a place holder for Anakin.

10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    He does call him Darth Tyranus in attack of the clones.

11. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I might not be remembering well, but wasn't that because he's speaking to him face to face? :confused:

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    And more than just that. Under Palp's Rule of One, all of his "apprentices" are nothing more than tools.

Like Vader, Dooku was nothing but a pet to carry out a specific role. [face_whistling]

Rather than Dooku/Tyrannus, I actually found Palp's self-identification as Sidious more surprising.

13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I personally don't find too much fault in Palpatine calling Tyrannus Count Dooku. I always felt that he never saw much use for Tyrannus beyond his role as political instigator and his stand-in for ensuring the Clone Wars continued. Maul was his assassin but Dooku was more publically known by his real name instead of Tyrannus and I just never felt Palpatine saw him as much of an apprentice.

Indeed, would have make old Dooku suspicious as well:
    Palpatine: You have done well, Count Dooku
    Dooku: Dooku? Shouldn't you be calling me by my Darth name? I am after all your apprentice
    Palpatine: Uh yes, sorry about that Tyrannus. You are after all my *snickers* apprentice *snickers*

:p

14. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Well Brecker and Mayer came through for me. Yesterday I received my defect free holocron as promised. Now I am completely happy with my Book of Sith!

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I now want a BOOK OF CHISS... with sections by my ImpAgent TOR character, a NSW Chiss Sith, Sev'rance Tann and Grand Admiral Thrawn

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    What would the special packing be?

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Tasteful.

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Calm yourself. Calm. [face_coffee] - [face_shame_on_you] No more for you.

19. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Well... in Force Heretic II, we did have them go into the Expeditionary Library where all the books were inside a simple box for storage and to keep them from being damaged by the environment... just saying :p

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A protective box, eh? Hmm...

I suggest a cryogenic box that comes with your own can of liquid nitrogen that freezes the water in the air when it opens. :p

[image=http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/7/15/23716157-414-Cryogenic-Treating-chamber.jpg]

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    So artistically done.

RC-1991 likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes and no. Cronal was masquerading as Shadowspawn as well (for instance, his hologram messages). It was all just a facade. At one point Nick Rostu was disguised as him in order to capture Luke (and I think you meant Rostu, not Vastor?), but it was Cronal's gig.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, Adas.
    [image=http://www.thegryph.de/stuff/Adas.jpg]
    Total Boss.

That said, I'm both surprised and a little disappointed he just ended up being based on the TotJ guy, after all.

And I'm super disappointed he has five digits on each hand rather than the Sith species' three*. Though I suppose he was a mutant. :p

* Yes, I'm aware that complaining about ancient Sith being portrayed with more digits than they should is becoming one of my "things"

24. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it's precisely because fans speculated it might be "TOTJ guy" that they based his image on him.

I've noticed many instances of artists basing their depictions on similar cases.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's why it bothers me.