main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books BOOK OF SITH! Now you too can Force choke friends and family! Hours of fun and unlimited power!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 21, 2011.

1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Do you remember in the KOTOR comics, when the Gryph asked Jarael if she placed a bet on Zayne and she said no, he beat his frustrations out on a plant? I feel like doing that right now, since you guys in the UK have this, and I got to wait another two weeks or so for it to become available here in the US. Why is it that you got it before I did?

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Because we got Plagueis, first.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Most likely answer is Amazon.co.uk screwed up. I can confirm what Zorrixor has said though, the light-up case is VERY cool.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly. [face_not_talking]

This is what you get for getting Plagueis a week before us. A week without Plagueis results in a month without the Book of Sith! [face_skull]
    He talks about death, immortality, etc in a lot of his chapters really, such as Philosophy of Life, Prophecy of the Chosen One (where he goes into the Mortis legend), etc. The "Transcending Death" section is mostly about essence transfer and ghosting, mixing the former with his earlier talk about animus, midi-chlorians and living Force, and the latter with his subsequent sections on pneuma, spirits and the Netherworld.
    I must admit, I'm currently actually torn on which to read first. Right now, I'm mostly just paging through Book of Sith and glancing at the parts that catch my eye. I might just sit down and blast through Plagueis really quickly in the next couple of days.

Usually I take my time... but in this case, I really want to know what happens, so my impatience is likely to win out over my desire to go it slow and take the time to savour it properly. :p

And the voice acting on the audiobook will more than makes a second "read" right after worth it. :)
    I've not come across anything in my current paging through, but that doesn't necessarily rule out me finding it later. ;)

On an unrelated note, there's an interesting line I came across in Bane's section where he talks about Juyo, and briefly mentions that his old blademaster had once strangely called Vapaad (referencing that typo in PoD, I assume), to which Quinlan Vos makes a comment in the margin about Windu, and ponders if Mace was a Sith. :p
    Contrary to my initial expectations, the Mother Talzin section is actually pretty interesting, going into detail about why Dathomir was of such interest to the Rakata (and later the Sith), due to the Kwa ripping unnatural voids in the Force with their Infinity Gates, which brought the "spirit realm" nearer to Dathomir (not read it fully yet, so not entirely sure what "the spirits" are exactly).

There's several comments by Luke that question Talzin's accounts though, with him pointing out that Yoda told him a different story about Allya, so Talzin's definitely as suspect a source as the Sith writers. (She listens to "the spirits" too much it seems. [face_mischief])

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

AWESOME, thx... whenever you manage, let me know more please ;) am impatient as hell for that book now. What news is there on Allya's story? her origins, hair color/picture or even retcons?
    I love the notions about Rakata and reasons for Dathomirs importance. absolutely fits and explains a lot.

PS: I also am addicted to Mortis, so what news is there about it and its legend?

PS: thx for all the spoilers! I appreciate it and will spoil you with whatever I get first, just ask ;)

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Epic win.

On many levels.

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'll take another look at the Talzin chapter when I get chance, CH. ;)

As for the Mortis legend? It's mentioned in a couple of places I've seen, but the biggest one is on the Chosen One chapter from Plagueis, where he talks about how the three all-powered beings are probably just an allegory to do with how the Chosen One is supposed to destroy these gods and demons to restore balance.

On a Sith Empire note, there are pictures of Xendor and King Adas, and actual names for the long rumoured engineer and slave castes of the Red Sith. I also really like the image of Ajunta and his Shadow Hands' citadels on Ziost. :D

For now, I'll jump from the Sith Empire right through to the penultimate pages about the Book of Anger...

In his own way, I suppose Sidious was simply distilling the dark side even further...

8. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    That Vaapad reference is hilarious! hey Zor can you keep your eyes out for any New Sith Wars related trivia? thanks! oh and how does Xendor and Adas look like?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Old hat, by that point....[face_mischief]

Fifty years earlier, Plagueis said almost as much to his former Master.
    "Go to your grave knowing that you are... last, of the vaunted Rule of Two..."[face_skull]

What a failure, Plagueis was.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    After seeing teh video of the holocron case in action... I now demand that, in the future, we develop the technolgoy so that fans can have such a device in their house, press a button to purchase a new release, and then have a physical copy materialize from within as this book does.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    To be honest, I think I would have preferred that Path of Destruction typo just be left a typo... I'll have to read it. But I haven't even read Jedi Path yet :)

Can you buy this book only?

12. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I second that. And toss in Plagueis, too.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A "typo" refers to a specific kind of error which generally results from mechanical failure in typesetting or slips of the hand/finger. The term is not meant to include errors of ignorance. Changing "Juyo" to "Vaapad" is not a typo. It's a mistake born of forgetting that Mace invented Vaapad. It would only be a typo if the author had actually intended to type the letters J-U-Y-O but somehow the keys V-A-A-P-A-D were hit instead.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Question is, DID Drew misspell Vaapad when he used it?
    [face_mischief]

15. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I concur. [face_peace]

16. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Awesomeeee! Funnily, I was looking at the Sith page on Wookieepedia and was thinking "its a shame they don't have names for the engineer and slave castes" and behold! Can't wait to get this book now... if only I had the money :(

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    There's images of the engineer and slaves too.

If you thought Massassi were ugly, just wait to see the slaves. They make a Hutt look attractive.
    While I'm sure it was an error back in PoD, I actually seem to remember Vapaad being mentioned somewhere else last year... not sure if it was a sourcebook or one of the TOR novels, maybe? That's why I'm happy with this new idea of earlier failed attempts to "complete" Juyo, as I expect PoD and [insert that other source] won't be the last time someone fluffs the terminology, so we've now got an explanation next time. :)

Fittingly, it took a Jedi to complete the Jedi Arts. Sith attempts evidently all led to self-destruction.[face_mischief]

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Regardless of technicalities, it was still just a mistake, nothing more. The author even urged readers to "pretend" that it said Juyo, not Vaapad. Don't care for the name now being lifted from the past.

I have no idea why it wasn't fixed in the paperback, anyway.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I wonder if the Mortis twins are one and the same with the Dathomiri "Spirits"?
    The fanged god and the winged goddess or whatever they were called.

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

oooooooooh... I love and second this idea!!!

add to that, if the strange station through which Anakin & CO entered Mortis realm in TCW in fact is a THO YOR ;) one of few left in deep space across the galaxy. And the people taken from their homes in pre-Dawn of the Jedi time, thus met the Celestials and learned something, then were sent back outside the Tho Yor stranded on Tython...

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Talzin has two entire sections on the two gods. I'll take a proper look at them in a minute to look for possible connections.

As for Mortis itself? There's this hollow, skeletal drawing of it in the "legend" image, where Plagueis talks about the legend of the Chosen One. Thinking about the Tho Yor, it is indeed curious that a Jedi legend has an image inspired from devices not seen since the dawn of the Jedaii.[face_thinking]

Sorzus's earlier chapter mentions how the Jedi of his time no longer remembered half of Tython's secrets, so there certainly seems to be something funny going on, especially as he talks about the Exiles as the spiritual heirs to Xendor's earlier rebellion, so it's not like Sorzus had forgotten Tython.

22. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Could possibly be explained that the early history of Tython became forbidden by the order? Perhaps there are some dark secrets from the Tythonian era which the later Jedi decided to suppress in fear of more going to the dark side? I mean, its not like even later era Jedi such as Exar Kun were not curious about checking into the forbidden.

Also, is there anything on Darth Andeddu? I am curious to know which era did he actually belong to.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    nice new stuff!

unorthodox question: anybody with a scanner able to show us some of the great art in the book? or even a few more sample pages?

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Given Sorzus mentions how much old knowledge has been forgotten by the Jedi (and was being reclaimed by the Exiles), the idea of Tythonian Pre-Jedi knowledge having been censored sounds like it'd make sense, yeah. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how DOTJ approaches the two sides of the Force, back in those days of "Balance" when everything was still seen as one big happy Force. It's definitely Plagueis who goes into the most detail about the Force itself though, dissecting it into the aperion, the anima and the pneuma in an almost Aristotelian manner, and typing this straight into his analysis of midi-chlorians and the Living Force.

As for Andeddu? He's briefly mentioned in Bane's chapter on the Darth title, where Bane confirms Andeddu as predating Revan and Malak. Beyond that, I've not come across any more yet. No exact date though, just that he's obviously very old. (And the Darth title stuff is mostly what we already know about how it was rumoured to have possibly come from the Rakatan language.)

EDIT: Going back to the "spirits" of Dathomiri belief... I'm indeed glad you all made me look at Talzin's chapter again. The Winged Goddess appears as a white gryphon with healing powers (lot of talk about how the "green mist" stuff in TCW works too -- it's distilled spirit ichor), and the Fanged God appears as a black gargoyle of the hunt. Talzin says that Nightsisters draw from both pools to keep the universal energies in balance. The Mortis Son and Daughter?!:eek:

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The in-thread descriptions, made me visualize the force-twins of Mortis....

I love it when a hunch proves correct.
    :)