main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books BOOK OF SITH! Now you too can Force choke friends and family! Hours of fun and unlimited power!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ahh... that kind of darksaber.

Can't say I've come across anything so far. The bulk of discussion about weaponry is more to do with amulets, Sith swords, alchemical enhancement, etc. Bane talks a bit about the normal sorts of lightsaber variants (double bladed and such), but I've only really skimmed that.

2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Oooh, the Dark Reaper. Cool, any new details on it or just a mention? Also, any mention of Leviathans or Silan? Only discovered recently that the KotOR CG mentions Silan as being a Sithspawned creature so I wonder if they are another experiment of Karness Muur as well.

3. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    What about Revan era sith lords? The sith civil war after Malaks death?

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Nothing much about Revan or the Jedi Civil War, to be honest. I found Malgus's section the least interesting though, it's also probably the shortest, so it might be there's a new name drop or two in there which I didn't notice (it felt more like the obligatory TOR section though).
    The Dark Reaper was mostly just a mention by Malgus (albeit there's also a picture) in the context of the Dark Council's desire to try and obtain as many superweapons as they could. As for Leviathans? Sorzus was the one who created them, so lots of new info, yes. [face_mischief]

(Krespuckle the Ever-Hungry was his favourite. :p)

5. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Anything about Zonama, Langhesi and Feroans?

6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Alas, sadly Vongerella didn't manage to make it into the Book. :p

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's because Kyle Katarn destroyed her so much that all records of her existence simply shriveled up and died.

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Vongerella might not have appeared, but what about references to the Vongs, or the Far Outsiders. I mean, Palpatine knew about their existence at least several years before the Clone Wars.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I have to add that I was most pleased when Luceno didn't touch that subject directly, or should I say blatantly?:p

I appreciated the subtle phrasing that he used when describing the events of the Muun's out-of-body-force-trip. IMO: The reason we didn't get more about Plagueis and his experiments, is because of this Sith book. The things we've questioned, discussed and argued over in other threads, were smacked squarely on the head in Plagueis' own handwriting.

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Interesting to hear I might have been privy to the biggest mysteries before reading the novel then, S3. [face_mischief]

I like what you're saying about Luceno being... open enough about things. Dan's very much done the same in the Book I think, as he's raised all kinds of questions, giving us a LOT of reason to agree with [Insert X Sith's POV], whilst leaving open the get-out clause that this whole book is in-universe, so if a reader doesn't like what Plagueis thinks, you're obviously free to ignore it.

Of course, me? I'm just loving how many things sound like they could have come right from some of the old speculation in Wherefore Art Thou Darth? The number of times I've gone "Hey! I thought that once!" has repeatedly brought a smile to my face. :)
    I don't recall anything about the Vong, no.

If anything, I'd say Darth Sidious's writings remind me of the character that we all knew until the retcons about him being this goodly man trying to save the galaxy from extragalactic invasion. These are very much the thoughts of the Dark Mastermind, discussing his Grand Plan, his new Sith Order, his Rule of One, the laughable Jedi prophecies, and how he alone is the sole master of the Force who shall rule the galaxy for all eternity.

The Vong? Pfft. Like all others, they'll just be swatted aside like the silly little nuisance that they are, for he is the galaxy's new dark overlord. For whoever reads these pages (and hey, they won't be his successor, for he has none!), this is his victory speech.[face_skull]

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    With the recent rash of multi-source tie-ins and what not, (I'm purely speculating here when I say that) I expect MOST of the answers that Plagueis didn't provide, to at least get some sort of mention in TBOS. For example: the DP novel doesn't mention Shmi by name, but mentions unnatural-pregnancies and gets specific about Jabba being an ally to Plagueis. Luceno says alot about the force in this novel, but doesn't really tell us anything. If that makes sense.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The idea that a lot of Plagueis's crazy experiments that we didn't get to see in the novel might show up in the Book of the Sith makes me want to get it even more. I don't have the moneyz, though :(

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, it sucks to have to shell out more dough for the answers that may, or may not be what you're looking for. [face_mischief] Darth Plagueis, TPM-2.0 and Wrath of Dathomir's red son were it for me. I'm done buying SW books, since my lingering PT questions have basically been answered, so now I'm at the mercy of this Forum and the Wook for all things TBOS.

Scary, I know....
    :p

14. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Is there a Lomi Plo or Welk image?

15. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    Hi Zorrixor, can you give us some spoilers about Sorzus Syn? Being facinate by bio-engineering, eugenics, ... I was always intrigued by the process of interbreeding between the original Sith and the Exiles.

Is the book addresses this issue through the perspective of Syn, which from what I understood was the chief alchemist of the Dark Jedi ? I don't know what was the species of the Dark Jedi or Syn, but the books should probably give details of the rituals or the technology used by Jen'jidai to succeed in this blending of the Red Sith and Humans (Ajunta Pall), or other species (Dreypa, Xoxaan, Karness Muur, Sorzus Syn, ...).

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Looks very interesting, and sounds right up my alley. I just hope they release the book, or maybe I can pick it up on Ebay. I just don't have the shelf space for that pyramid and all that fluff!

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I just love this fleshing out of the Exiles. Would love to see more of them being developed. Could the Exiles = Immortal Gods of the Sith? With each one representing something for the Red Sith? Like a Sith god of death, life and so on? Plus, I hope that future material leads to all the Exiles leaving some distinctive relics behind as part of their legacy. Like Karness had the Muur Talisman, so what did XoXaan leave behind? So much to see and so little time :(

18. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    I just hope Stover will do an another Cronal book.

19. Basilews

Basilews Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    Got this one from Amazon.co.uk while it was still 'in stock' there. The book arrived yesterday.
    The vault is impressive, even more so then in the Jedi Path, where there was a big inscription on the plate to "place the book here" (for stupid Padawans obviously), after which you had to close the doors manually. Here, the vault not only opens with sinister evil sounds but also closes automatically after you push the same button.

The binding is quite a thing - as was mentioned, various authors wrote their manuscripts on different paper, with Malgus using a simple checked notebook.

I am not so impressed by the comments, though. It's hard to pinpoint but they seem to be rather repetitive. The Jedi Path was a text book and thus had been read and commented by arrogant and sometimes wide-eyed youths which created a feeling of someting like a fun banter through generations. The Book of Sith is by its nature more serious/restricted reading, so it was commented not by children but by Jedi Masters and Sith. Also, there isn't a consistent set of commenters, aside from Sidious and Luke, the former mostly making notes of useful thoughts while gloating at the Jedi and the latter berating Sith for selfness and cruelty. Mace, Vader, Voss and Ventress commented different chapters. (Voss' notes are funny though).

Still, the texts themselves are very interesting and instructive. For example, I learned that the Muur Talisman was created not by Muur himself but by Sorzus Syn on his request. Sorzus also writes that she intended to create one for Dreypa and one more, the strongest, for herself. Now reading Mother Talzin's manuscripts, where she tells of the Winged Goddess and the Fanged God. :)

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Taking place before or after LS&TSOM?

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wookieepedia indicates that the Darth Andeddu holocron from Dynasty of Evil is the same one that later ended up on Korriban and came into Dooku's possession. But this holocron was the source of Bane's knowledge of essence transfer, so why would Palpatine need Ashka Boda to learn essence transfer if Dooku had the Andeddu holocron?

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Andeddu might not have wanted to share his power with these Sith, especially since his "holocron" was inhabitated by Andeddu's spirit/

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sorry to bother, but I can't resist asking, any mention (or even better pictures) of Sith ships, just curious? The Jedi Path had a few ship pictures (an ancient Jedi starfighter, an Aurek, what eventually became the Chu'unthor, and a few others). But then the Jedi Path was more unified (being an actual Jedi handbook) than this work. Still, this book sounds awesome, can't wait for my copy.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    In my mind, Cronal died in Shadows of Mindor. I have... selective memory when it comes to canon :). Keeping him alive afterwards feels pointless to me.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Regarding all the Lomis, Welks, Cronals, etc, the last entry in the Book -- Sidious's -- was written before the Battle of Endor, so there isn't anything about any of the Sith groups who came after that. Having said that, Mother Talzin talks about the Prophets of the Dark Side, the Kanzer Exiles, the Sorcerers of Rhand, the Mercrosa Order, the Blackguard, and the Shapers of Kro Var (most with some nice new pictures). :)
    Sorzus talks about it in broad strokes (and how Dreypa had the hots for this one priestess :p), albeit she doesn't go into the sort of scientific detail of Plagueis's research. Reading the two in conjunction though, I'd say it's possible to read more into what Sorzus talks about, when she describes the dangers of living matter's energy fighting against the process (i.e. the midi-chlorians fight back against the alchemist?).
    Like Basilews mentioned, Sorzus was hoping to craft one for each of them (albeit I presume she never finished her work). ;)

(Sorzus doesn't seem to like Ajunta and hopes he'd hurry up and die, so I suspect there may have been disagreements. :p)

Nobody: I'm afraid there's not a section on ships, sorry. (Malgus probably is the person who discusses space combat the most, but I can't remember if he actually mentioned anything that's new as such, since we already know the names of the TOR warship designs.)