main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books BOOK OF SITH! Now you too can Force choke friends and family! Hours of fun and unlimited power!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Most interesting, [face_thinking] thanks for the replies Zorr :) I do wonder though if perhaps Vergere should have been part of the comments section. Might have been interesting to see her views in the comments section of the book.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ooooooh. That would have been very interesting to read, since she could have got her hands on it during her brief Sith candateship before she high tailed it from Sidious, so there could have been a chance to see a more Stoverish side of her again, before she went off the rails.[face_thinking]

3. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    After of course.

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Wook, and I saw a bunch of powers that I don't recognize. First off, can you give any tidbits about any powers mentioned. Aside from the midi-chlorian manipulation experiments Plagueis performed.

Second, I recall from The Jedi Path that they used Latin to name specific Force powers or to catalogue a group of powers. The same thing seems to have occurred in this book, but the language is definitely not Latin. It looks German or it came from the same language family as German. Anyone got any ideas on which language inspired the names?

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Are these what you're referring to:

Sutta Chwitskak
    Odojinya
    Qazoi Kyantuska
    Dwomutsiqsa
    Tsaiwinokka Hoyakut

If so, I believe they're all mostly powers that I've come across before, albeit just in the original Sith language (Sorzus also gives the Basic translations for those ones). That said, there's also an image of a script that Sorzus had only partially translated, so if the writing isn't just random scribbles, it might be possible there's some others hidden in there if somebody is able to work out the letters from the known spells?

As far as the powers Bane talks about... there's a few of the rarer ones, like convection and cryokinesis, which have nice write-ups (I especially like the one on cryokinesis, as it makes it sound more realistic and less to do with conjuring ice balls). Hmm... I suppose Inertia and Memory Walk might be new? Albeit I'd probably say Memory Walk is essentially the Sith sorcery that Zannah used to dig into people's worst fears. But the ability Bane describes was stolen from the Guild of Vindicators, so it might be something slightly different.

Hmm... Mother Talzin mentions some less common and possibly new things, although I'm not that good on some of the more esoteric WOTC powers. But putting aside the abilities that she gives an actual "name" to, I'd definitely say the applications she documents are likely new -- or at least write-ups of some of the more sorcerous stuff we've seen in TCW, as all her green smoke and head taps get full descriptions of what's going on.

6. Basilews

Basilews Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    As for the Latin, Plagueis uses Latin names to describe three aspects of the Force working: aperion (physical interactions and also the Unifying Force), anima (the life, an area of the midichlorians) and pneuma (the area of thought and consciousness). There is a diagram depicting these areas akin to Da Vinci's drawings or some medieval schemes. By the way, the manuscript itself is really that - it's written by hand. While Mother Talzin in the jungle typed her book into some datapad, Darth Plagueis in his sophisticated lab used a primitive pen (though it could be augmented by Sith magic).

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Guild of Vindicators! Good to see some Devilworlds love.

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Speaking of aperion, that reminds me of a question I had:

Strictly speaking, in real life it would be apeiron, not aperion, so I've been wondering ever since I read that chapter whether the word's been intentionally varied, or if we should simply regard it as a simple typo?

9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, I thought of it only just today that "You know who would else have been nice to see an entry from? Vergere" and as you said she did have that brief Sith candidateship that would have led to her getting her feathery paws on the book. Would have been amusing to see her scribble comments around Sidious since I always imagined that she was intellectually quite close to Sidious in the sense that she was a mastery of deception.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Typo. Given that the other two were properly transcribed.

11. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Does Tulak Hord get a picture.

Anything about the Hundread Year Darkness and Khem Val?

12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Yes, it has to be a typo. Why would a letter be moved to make the word nonsensical? "Pneuma" and "Apeiron" are Greek, not Latin words, by the way. ("Pneuma" is "spirit" and "apeiron" is "infinite." "Anima" is Latin, but it's just stolen from Jung. :p)

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The main reason it threw me when I read it was because I believe the typo was repeated again on another page.

But yeah. I'm glad everyone is in agreement with just treating it as a typo. :)

(Though no doubt Wookiepedia will go to war over it. :p)

EDIT: Oh forgot to answer. No Tulak Hord pic if I recall correctly (I haven't got the book to hand right this moment though). Yes to the Hundred-Year Darkness; but no to Khem Val (I think).

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/DarthTenebrousCustom.jpg]

Uli shamed me into taking this pic down before anybody knew what Tenebrous was.
    [face_mischief]

15. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    My Book of Sith came in last week and had paint defects. It appears as if the paint was still curing when it was placed in the box as you can see where the paint has smeared on the cardboard inserts. I contacted Barnes and Noble and requested a replacement and it arrived yesterday. Opened it up and the paint defects were even worse than the first. Is there anyone else having this problem?

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The only possible explanation is that it was damaged by Force lightning.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've not had that problem, no... my copy was fine as far as I'm aware.

18. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

You got yours already? And from B&N? Do you live in the US?

19. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes, I live in the U.S., Georgia to be specific. My 2nd replacement arrived today (that equals 3 Book of Siths total) and all 3 have the same paint damage to the top of the triangle button. All 3 came from the Doraville, GA warehouse. I contacted Brecker and Mayer and they are going to send me a replacement holocron when they get more in stock. I was assured by them that they will personally inspect their stock to ensure the replacement is free of defects.

You can see the damage here:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/Jerec350/DSC01155.jpg]

20. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, that's discouraging. I hope it is not a problem in the manufacturing process or there are bound to be some pretty upset people out there fairly quick.

21. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

No offense, but I'm looking at the picture, and I don't see any problems.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm assuming it's the stains on the box at the top of the picture? (Which I'm guessing are where the paint's rubbed off or something?)

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, now you'll get 4 for 1? :p

24. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002

25. Jerec350

Jerec350 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Well I have to send 2 back to BN.com and I have to send the 3rd back to Brecker and Mayer when the flaw free replacement arrives.