main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read, PA Book of the month

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pugglethelesser, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugglethelesser

Pugglethelesser Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    I was bored so I started re-reading some of the older books, has anyone read " Tales from the Empire" or " Tales from the New Republic"? I liked the side stories, they didn't connect with main characters but I still found them interesting, also did anyone read " Allegiance "?
    Just thought I'd start a thread related to the books, see if anyone else is as bored as me.

2. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    I haven't read any of them. But what I did just finish reading.......wait for the outcry.
    The New Jedi Order: Balance Point. While most people shun this series, I quite like it. But Balance Point is not a reason I like this series. They're soo many things I dislike about this book.

Lets list -
    Jacen is a whiny moron
    Luke and Mara's conversations through the force are annoying
    The whole Selcore refugee plot is boring
    and most of all the plot really has no impact to anything

So I advise everyone to skip it. I did start NJO Edge of Victory 1, which I fine really good so far. I like Anakin Solo, he's one of the better EU characters in my opinion. The books been mostly focused on him and his role as a leader. It's to bad he had to die.

And un SW related, I bought the Transformers Ghosts of Yesterday movie prequel. I'll try to read that before the movie.

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I've read all the "Tales of..." books, and I have to say that I liked most of the short stories. I've found that I like to read about the background characters and surrounding environments. In the PT I loved the Medstar books. I actually wish they'd kept Anakin and Obi-Wan out of Outbound Flight, they just didn't need to be shoe-horn them into the story.

I'm presently reading the Darth Bane novel, and it is an interesting read. Not perfect, but definitely a good read.

4. Pugglethelesser

Jul 13, 2006
    Yeah, I agree Dave, they should have kept Anakin and Obi-Wan out of Outbound Flight. I liked " Tales " for the same reasons as you, the stories filled in the background, gave things more depth.
    Scott, I'm sorry to say that NJO only goes downhill from there. Not that it had a high starting point in the first place.

5. Pugglethelesser

Jul 13, 2006
    The new " Death Star " book looks interesting.

6. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Yeah, that's on my "to buy" list, I just wish that they hadn't cancelled the Darth Plagueis novel.

7. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    Speaking of the new Death Star novel, http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20070418.html

I'd say the cover is just about what I expected, but as least it's not photoshopped!

8. Pugglethelesser

Jul 13, 2006
    Yeah, I was a little bummed out over the cancellation of the Darth Plagueis book.

9. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I'm not a huge fan of the cover, but as the saying goes: I'm not going to judge it by what's on the cover.

What I don't like is the vague reason for cancelling the book: it's not the right time...

10. JediSoccerDad

JediSoccerDad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Ditto on Darth Plagueis.. I was excited that they were going to pick up the story & now they canceled it.. [face_frustrated]

I'm reading the Darth Bane Novel as well, at the moment..

11. lightning-girl

lightning-girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    I haven't heard of any of those books, I've been vering away from my usual books at the book store (sorta) lately in favor of my summer reading list for high school, it's as follows:
    Watership Down
    LotR trilogy
    The Hobbit
    Golden Compass (and it's companions)
    Three Shakespeare Books that I've forgotten the titles of
    Autobiography of Ben Franklen
    Frankinstine
    Dracula
    The Scarlet Pimpernel
    Les Meserables
    The Hunchback of Noter Dame (probably spelled that wrong)
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
    The Black Cauldron
    and some others I forget, I'm pretty sure that grand total with all the ones I'm forgetting it's 21 books, unless Golden Compass and it's companions are more then three books. Here's the funny part I only have to Read Watership Down and two others of my choice.

12. Patches37

Patches37 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2007
    Yar on that one, not that I have a summer reading list (not being in high school anymore) but I am trying to read a whole bunch of stuff I have. re-reading some, but mostly re-starting things I never finnished.
    My book list for this year...
    Harry Potter series (before the next one comes out gotta read 'em all again)
    House of Leaves (re-start)
    World War Z (re-start)
    Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (re-read)
    Dreamcatcher(re-read)
    Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way(re-read)
    Everything's Eventual (presently in the middle of)

But these are all things I highly recomend!

13. lightning-girl

lightning-girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    YAY a fellow HP fan come lets run away from the insanity to a hp board...ok now I is running away by myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.