main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Book Reviews

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by sirliam, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirliam

sirliam Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    Hi all,
    I have just started reading Cestus Deception, and was thinking it'd be a good idea if we had a book themed thread. Favorites, reviews, advice on where to get background, that sort of thing. Opinions?

-Liam

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I think it's a great idea, liam! Fire away! Are we doing SW only boks or other books as well? I've just finished reading one of each, so... :)

Hey, Mike and Catherine say hi, BTW. They're on their way to Las Vegas for the weekend, I'm farmsitting for them. :)

*Derisa*

3. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    ...And I'm babysitting for ^^^her^^^. :p Good to "see" you Liam, hi from all of us too!

Book thread idea = Good Thing?

4. sirliam

sirliam Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    Cestus Deception was good fun. Set after EP2 it does a decent job of developing the character of Kit Fisto, and also adds dimension to the clone troops with a little nature vs nurture exploration. One problem I had with it was that the characters at times referred to the ongoing conflict as "the clone wars." Now I could see the separatists possibly referring to it as that but the republic forces would more likely call it the separatist wars or maybe the secession wars.

I also just finished Balance Point. Not all that impressed. The whole use or not use the Force dilemma that Jacen goes through just isn't presented in that convincing a manner. Too much else going on in the book for the conflict to be adequately illustrated, so while it is supposed to be a "balance point" the issue essentially gets marginalized. Too bad, could have been a great development in understanding the Force.

Now, NO library in Glasgow has Recovery! Multiple copies of every other book in the series, but not that one. Damn! Maybe I ask on the Scotland Fanforce Board.

Cheers all.

Derissa and Reni- Big hugs and give some to M&C too.

5. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    There were problems with Destiny's Way. The writer kept referring to Vejere's being with the Vong for 40 years. Let's see: Anakin was roughly 11-12 yrs old when he and Obi-wan encountered the world ship, and that's roughly when Vejere left with the world ship. Anakin was approximately---what---20-22 yrs old when he sired Luke and Leia. Leia is approximately 30 when she gives birth to the twins. Jaina and Jacen are between 16 and 20 yrs old when they have the run-in with the Vong. Something doesn't quite compute here.

There are times when a writer really does need to draft out a timeline. I very nearly fell over myself with HALF A RING (sequel to my first novel, HALF A RUNE) because of the time difference between the two. Fortunately I managed to catch myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.