main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOOK ROOMS NOW...I DID!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Amidala081499, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    You can take the flyaway bus for $3 + cost of transfer from Union Station to your hotel (metro rail about $1.25; taxi about $5-$8) or use a shared van for about $15.

2. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm sure they will too but my confidence in GenCon is next to nothing. Were you at C3? Did you see the people who were lined up for hours just to get into the convention? Now imagine the thousands of people in line at the shuttle busses... not hundreds, but thousands.

3. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm sure they will too but my confidence in GenCon is next to nothing. Were you at C3? Did you see the people who were lined up for hours just to get into the convention? Now imagine the thousands of people in line at the shuttle busses... not hundreds, but thousands.

I gotta agree. I wasn't at CI or CII so I don't know how they were run, but CIII was horrible as far as organization. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED BEING THERE. It was a blast, but over two hours to get in and day long lines for the store were ridiculous.

In the official announcement, they admitted that last year some things went wrong. That's why they are opening the store for 24 hours and having self service and allowing fan club members one full day access before the genral public gets in. Honestly, I think this year will be better. They aren't blind to what happened last year and appear to be making the appropriate changes.

As far as shuttle service, that will be hard to judge. If it's a constant all day thing anmd each hotel has one shuttle running, we might be OK.

4. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    Wouldn't there be more than one shuttle going back and forth more than once? What if there are like 4 different shuttles for each hotel, and then go to and fro?

5. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Possibly, but somebody has to pay for them...my guess would be the cost will be passed on to the people using the shuttle whether it is per ride or day pass or whatever. Its not enough to be shelling out around a thousand for the hotel stay and another hundred or so just for admission. :rolleyes:

6. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    If anyone's interested, I was able to book a room today (6-13-06) at Quality Inn & Suites Downtown. The reservation was made on-line. I went to the LA Convention Center Website, clicked Downtown, and clicked on Hotels. Then scrolled through and clicked on hotel websites until I found one that was taking reservations. Quality Inn & Suites Downtown is located 1 mile from the Convention Center. That's closer than my other reservation of 8 miles away.

Of course I'm still going to try to get one closer, but if that ends up not being possible I've got this one.

It's worth checking out if you don't have a room yet. :)

Quality Inn & Suites Downtown
    1901 West Olympic Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90006
    213-385-7141
    http://www.qualityinnla.com/

7. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005

[/quote]

you have confidence in GenCon???? wow. I thought they would have beat it all out of us ;)

I'm really glad I got a room so close. a line to get into a shuttle at each end of the trip dosn't thril me. And considering GenCon is running it they'll probabily tell you the wrong time for the thing anyways

8. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    That looks great, thanks for this. I've been going crazy trying to find something close and that looks decent to the concention center. The hotel looks nice as well from the photos. I'll book a room from here tomorrow, as I'm too tired to do anything with that right now. Again, thanks a lot for this.

9. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    you have confidence in GenCon???? wow. I thought they would have beat it all out of us ;)

I'm really glad I got a room so close. a line to get into a shuttle at each end of the trip dosn't thril me. And considering GenCon is running it they'll probabily tell you the wrong time for the thing anyways[/quote]

LOL, I gree. GenCon seems to have problems with these large fan events. I am glad I am at the fig and can walk there in like 2 minutes :D

10. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I usually take reviews on TripAdvisor with a grain of salt because many people write reviews out of anger but you might want to check out reviews of this hotel. It's ranked 139 out of 167 LA hotels reviewed on TripAdvisor. One guest/reviewer posted photographs from their recent trip. In this case I think the negative review was justified.

11. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, this place is on my list to go check out. I'm hoping to do that today or Friday.

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I checked out the reviews for the Quality Inn & Suites Downtown. I admit they were a bit disconcerting. I think I'll wait and see what ValedaKor turns up when she drives by there and make my decision then.

Just in case though, I also booked a room at the Omni Los Angeles Hotel (1.4 miles from Convention Center). Rated #3 of 167 on TripAdvisor's website (a lot of good reviews) and looks to be a nice place, a bit expensive, but nice. Below is the info for that one although I think it's already been mentioned before.

Again, I'm still looking for something closer and hopefully a bit less expensive. :)

Thanks for the info.

Omni Los Angeles Hotel
    251 S. Olive St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

Toll-free: 800-788-6664
    Phone: 213-617-3300
    Fax: 213-617-3399

13. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    The Omni is normally a very nice hotel - I have stayed at the ones in Orlando and Jacksonville. I think I'll try booking at the LA one just for peace of mind!

14. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I was at the Omni in Indy for C3 and it was fine.

15. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    The Omni looks incredible from the photos. I think I will definitely book there. I will hopefully be able to get a room online, and it seems like I can when I checked out the dates to reserve a room.

16. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Hey! A little advice - Don't book online. Call the 888 # and get your reservation that way. I did it online and the rate was $20.00 more than what it was over the phone. Alos, sign up for the rewards program. It's free and they will give you some free stuff like drinks and upgrades.

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Isn't that some crap? You book online which really should be cheaper for them and more automated and they want to charge you more. That is so frustrating.

18. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah it does stink Grump, but how cares now. I just saved almost $200.00. I'm good. :)

19. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Hey, thanx so much for the Quality Inn tip!!! I'm gonna use that reservation as my "just-in-case" room. In case something crazy happens and I don't get a blocked room for rebel legion volunteers. It puts a load off my mind.Thanx!!
    ~Tally

20. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    No problem. Hey if this was me and my 15 year old cousin like last year, I would stay anywhere, but I don't want my wife in a dump that has alleged shady characters hanging around. Plus I want a darn pool that has been cleaned once since the 60's

21. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Yes, a pool that resembles the swamps of Dagoba would not be appealing...I agree.

22. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I'm coming all the way from Finland (hopefully coming if I have enough money).

Because of the airline costs and all, I'd want to ask if anyone knows a youth hostel or something similar=CHEAP near the convention center aka within walking distance. The place doesn't need to be nice (as long as the cochroaches don't come while the lights are ON :p it's OK).

Just something to crash in for the night and safe enough that I don't have to worry about leaving my sister there alone if she doesn't want to be with me all the time :(

Pool would be nice, but not necessary...What can you ask if you don't have credits...

23. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004

24. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    There are NO hostels anywhere near the convention center. Closest are the ones in Hollywood, a bus (maybe the shuttle, don't know yet) or subway ride away.

25. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    Thanks for the information ValedaKor.

I think you are right pwinklespi. I mean, this is once in a life time thing and we should try to find the money from somewhere. I'll re-negotiate our budget with my sister and try to find a hotel that we can afford. She'll be probably attending the event too, but I am surprised if she has the enthusiasm to stay there every day, all the time. So, it's good to think ahead :)

Thanks for the wise advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.