main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Book signings

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Errant_Venture, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Does anyone know if any of the SW authors do book signings via the mail?

I know Kathy Tyers (according to her FAQ) does it as long as one provides the book, the stamps, self addressed return label, what you want her to write, etc. Does anyone know if any of the other SW authors do the same thing, since well...book tours can be a pain if they never go to your general area. :(

EV Edit: Adding in the Author list

Alan Dean Foster
    Aaron Allston
    Michael P. Kube-McDowell
    Michael A. Stackpole
    Kathy Tyers
    Elaine Cunningham
    K.W. Jeter fan site
    Terry Brooks
    Timothy Zahn
    Donald F. Glut
    Vonda N. McIntyre
    Kristine Katherine Rush
    Michael Reaves
    K.W. Jeter
    R.A. Salvatore*
    Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta*
    Barbara Hambly**
    Ann C. Crispen**
    Greg Bear**
    Roger Allen McBride**
    Walter Jon Williams**
    Sean Williams and Shane Dix**
    L. Neil Smith**
    Troy Denning**
    Greg Keyes**

The following authors I have not yet found a site for:

Matthew Woodring Stover; he did inform me back in April that he does not have a site right now. He does mail signings, but he is currently moving right now. Now that six months have passed, I suppose it's time to see if he has a site.

Jude Watson
    Dave Wolverton
    Steve Perry
    James Luceno
    James Kahn
    Paul and Hollace Davids
    Brian Daley; I'm not sure if he had a site, but he recently passed away. :(

Please note the *s
    *=Have to pay for the copy via a fan club (KJA) or e-signing which provides the book and shipping. I don't know yet if one can supply the book and cut the price. (Salvatore)

**s= I did not find any information regarding signings, but I threw in the site because they are a SW author. Greg Bear has a contact me form and a newsletter, so I'm hoping the newsletter has information in it. Then of course I will ask via the contact form. (

The Terry Brooks site is displaying the infamous "Page not found" site as of this moment. The Timothy Zahn page is rerouting to some advertisement page. The Kristen Katherine Rush site has been disabled.

I need to start looking for the sites again for all of the author's who don't currently have a link.

2. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Up

Anyways, I also found out that Stackpole, McDowel, and Allston that do signings via mail.

Does anyone know an author who also does this? I'm considering buying some of their books off of the SFBC with the sole purpose of getting them signed with a brand new hardcover, to be stored in a place for safe keeping.

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Just a note, EV: if you're going to get a book signed in hopes of it being worth something, use an original printing. From being in the used book business, I can tell you that book club editions are usually not worth as much. Also, a first edition is preferable. Then again, finding first edition hardbacks in good condition from the authors you listed above would probably be rather hard. So on second thought, just do whatever. :p Just thought I'd let you know. ;)

4. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't care if they become worth something, so much as they can stay in better condition longer. I think it would be cool to have some of their books signed.

I know the first edition is always preferable, but some of these books that would be next to impossible to find. I'm curious though, would the SFBC hardcover of say Traitor signed be worth more than the paperback version of it? Traitor only came out in paperback, so would the harder to find hardback be worth more?

Thanks for informing me Pez, about the monatary value of the books. I shall keep that in mind. :)

Oh, and Alan Dean Foster has a pretty sweet site. Alan Dean Foster

Just fixing up the link a little...

5. Lord_of_the_Siths

Lord_of_the_Siths Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    well, there you go

6. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Tim Z said he'd sign them when he was a DCon in Sept. Just like Kathy T. just need to send return postage etc.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Elaine Cunningham had a thing where you send your address w/envelope etc, she'll send an SW book plate signed by her to put in your book.
    Stackpole and Allston will sign books if you send them yours.

8. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I have the Stackpole and Allston sites where they give the mailing information.

Does Cunningham have a site, if not, where would it be possible to get Zahn's and Cunningham's information?

dp, what was wrong with the link? I appreciate you fixing it, whatever was wrong with it. :)

I'm curious, am I the first person in a long time that has asked about this in the Lit forum? I don't recall seeing any threads like this one. Do you think it would be a good idea to compile a list of authors who are willing to do mail signings to put in the FAQ or something like that? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curius in this.

9. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I'm curious though, would the SFBC hardcover of say Traitor signed be worth more than the paperback version of it? Traitor only came out in paperback, so would the harder to find hardback be worth more?

Hmm...not too sure about that one. Sorry.

How about this: ElaineCunningham.com. She says you would have to send the book through the publisher, which might be a lot of trouble.

And yes, I'd like to make a nice little index out of this. Anybody else know of any authors' sites?

10. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Hmmm, Mrs. Cunningham has to be a problem. :p

Thanks for the link!

I went ahead and ordered Traitor if not for the sole purpose of having that book in hardcover today. I am hoping that Mr. Stover does signings, and I'm eagerly awaiting his answer in the A&A forum.

I might as well start a list, where the link will take one to the general area where the mailing information is located at the site.

Alan Dean Foster
    Aaron Allston
    Michael P. Kube-McDowell
    Michael A. Stackpole
    Kathy Tyers
    Elaine Cunningham

I did not find any information at either Troy Denning's site or Walter John William's site. Zahn apparently does them as well, but I have yet to find a site that would tell me the information and he does not post here. :( Oh yes, there is also Shane Dix and Sean Williams, Greg Keyes and James Luceno for the upcoming NJO books.

Tommorow night, I shall search for some Bantam era authors not mentioned yet. It's 1 a.m. for me and I have school. :(

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I had Zahn sign my copy of The Last Command when he visited a WaldenBooks in Corvallis Oregon several years ago. I think he lives in Coos Bay Oregon now, but I'm not 100% sure.

12. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Thanks for the info Bib, and you are lucky to have a book signed by him.

Here's some more:

R.A. Salvatore*
    Michael Reaves**
    Vonda N. McIntyre
    K.W. Jeter***
    K.W. Jeter fan site
    Barbara Hambly****
    Ann C. Crispen****
    Terry Brooks
    Greg Bear****
    Roger Allen McBride****
    Timothy Zahn
    Walter Jon Williams****
    Sean Williams and Shane Dix****
    Donald F. Glut
    L. Neil Smith****
    Kristine Katherine Rush
    Troy Denning****
    Greg Keyes****

That is all the authors so far that I have found a site for, well that and the ones above.

Matthew Woodring Stover; he did inform me that he does not have a site right now. He does mail signings, but he is currently moving right now.

Jude Watson
    Dave Wolverton
    Steve Perry
    James Luceno
    James Kahn
    Paul and Hollace Davids

Please note the *s
    *=Have to pay for the copy via a fan club (KJA) or e-signing which provides the book and shipping. I don't know yet if one can supply the book and cut the price. (Salvatore)

**s=Can not do signings or email until his life is back in order (Health, divorce, moving)...more important things. (Reaves)

***s=FTP "site". In this case it's K.W. Jeter and his "site" which is in FTP format. I have not yet looked through the FTP for any information regarding the mail signings. I did list a fan site though, and I'm not sure how in depth that one is yet. (Jester)

****s= I did not find any information regarding signings, but I threw in the site because they are a SW author. Greg Bear has a contact me form and a newsletter, so I'm hoping the newsletter has information in it. Then of course I will ask via the contact form. (

The Terry Brooks site is displaying the infamous "Page not found" site as of this moment. The Timothy Zahn page is rerouting to some advertisement page. The Kristen Katherine Rush site has been disabled.

If anyone is wondering the order of the *s, it is in the order that I found the site. I'm too lazy right now to arrange them all in a neat * order.

That's all I've managed to find, and I hope this helps someone.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Nice list.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    you can also track author signings at different stores when they are on tour, and possibly get the store to either get you an autographed copy, or even let you mail in your copy to be signed and sent back.

my local sci-fi store will get autographed copies for people who can't make it to the signing, and does ship.

in addition, there are also other fans who could make it to a signing that might be able to help out.

last month, Troy Denning was in town and we had a good turnout for him with SBS and TG.

later in the summer, authors galore come out for comic-con.

15. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Wow, this is a thread that I thought I would never see again. :p

Thanks Jedi.

Jawa, the problem is I live in Florida and perhaps once every 15 blue moons a SW author comes anywhere near Florida, it seems like. I'm sure a lot of other readers are in the same situation, especially the fans overseas.

It is nice to hear though, that stores that do have authors come to signings do ship to people who can't make it.

16. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Up.

Since I can now unlock this thread (which I hoped was locked due to it's age) and retrieve all of the links, here is a revised list.

Alan Dean Foster
    Aaron Allston
    Michael P. Kube-McDowell
    Michael A. Stackpole
    Kathy Tyers
    Elaine Cunningham
    K.W. Jeter fan site
    Terry Brooks
    Timothy Zahn
    Donald F. Glut
    Vonda N. McIntyre
    Kristine Katherine Rush
    Michael Reaves
    K.W. Jeter
    R.A. Salvatore*
    Barbara Hambly**
    Ann C. Crispen**
    Greg Bear**
    Roger Allen McBride**
    Walter Jon Williams**
    Sean Williams and Shane Dix**
    L. Neil Smith**
    Troy Denning**
    Greg Keyes**

Matthew Woodring Stover; he did inform me back in April that he does not have a site right now. He does mail signings, but he is currently moving right now. Now that six months have passed, I suppose it's time to see if he has a site.

Jude Watson
    Dave Wolverton
    Steve Perry
    James Luceno
    James Kahn
    Paul and Hollace Davids

Please note the *s

**s= I did not find any information regarding signings, but I threw in the site because they are a SW author. Greg Bear has a contact me form and a newsletter, so I'm hoping the newsletter has information in it. Then of course I will ask via the contact form. (

I need to start looking for the sites again for all of the author's who don't currently have a link.

17. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    "Jawa, the problem is I live in Florida and perhaps once every 15 blue moons a SW author comes anywhere near Florida, it seems like. I'm sure a lot of other readers are in the same situation, especially the fans overseas."

but if you know of a store (like Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego) that is going to have a signing, you could send them the book, and have them ship it back to you (at your expense). While I'm not sure on their exact policy for accommodating these requests, they do get many copies signed for mail-order customers. They may be able to even get a signed copy to be personalized if you order the book from them.

looking at their website right now www.mystgalaxy.com, one sees that they have Tatooine Ghost in signed first editions available still.

if people are interested, i will check on their policies involving signed copies, mail orders, and people just sending them books to get signed when an author makes an appearance.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Jan Duursema is willing to sign comics as long as you send them..

19. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    In no particular order:

Steve Perry previously had a site, but it disappeared earlier this year (and had been out of date for a while). I don't have the link here--it may be on the computer at home, but I can't get at that until Thanksgiving at the earliest.

James Luceno probably doesn't have a site; at least, I've not found it, and it's not advertised in The Unifying Force like the other authors' sites are in their books.

Brian Daley very probably doesn't have a site, as he passed away before the Internet really blossomed.

For Terry Brooks, you want terrybrooks.net, not terrybrooks.org.

KKR's site has changed slightly; it's now http://kristinekathrynrusch.homestead.com/mainpage.html.

Vonda McIntyre's site is http://www.sff.net/people/vonda/. (You apparently merged her URL and KJA's; his is right, hers was mangled.)

You misspelled Ms. Crispin's name. (And Ms. Rusch's middle name, while I'm at it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.