main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Book

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by xanatos1975, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    I've been wanting to write a fanfic for some time now, but just didn't get around to it until now. I will be trying my hand at writing in the Star Wars universe and I am hoping some of you would be so kind as to help me with the story. I have some notes thus far about what I want to write about but I really need someone who is "adept" at creative writing (maybe taken some classes in college or an English major or something lol) but I will be happy for everyone's input. My story will be set in the clone wars (at the beginning) and since I am a huge fan of Karen Traviss, I will be basing a lot of the story around some of her characters, but the main character will be a new one I will be making up myself. It will be more of a story like the Bourne books and movies, dealing with Black-ops, but obviously set in the Star Wars universe.

2. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    ok let me re-phrase the last statement lol... it seems that I may have come across as only wanting help from someone who has previous experience in creative writing... actually I am wanting help from ANYONE who is willing to help me. I am a first time writer so please have patience... other than that I would gladly accept feedback and criticism

3. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I would say just write for yourself...write what you would like to read...and keep writing, like anything else you get better with practice. I know there used to be a local sci-fi writing group. Not sure how active they are anymore but might want to check them out.
    http://www.meetup.com/scifiwriting-1/

4. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    cool... thx for the heads up

5. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    This one slipped my mind. A while back Vox started a collaborative writing thread but it was just a couple of us participating.
    http://boards.theforce.net/louisville_ky/b10165/30879823/p1/?8
    It's locked just because of inactivity but we could ask Echo to reactivate it or you might start a new one and see if anyone bites.

6. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    lol i remember that thread. i have an idea what i want to write... i would just need help critiquing it if anyone would be interested.. i could send them a copy when i am finished and they can tear it apart (critiqing that is lol) and tell me where they think i need to change and what i need to change.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    If you want, I'd be happy to. My undergrad was in English writing (not that you can tell from my typos on this site), I have taught English Comp, and I have 2 short stories and one greeting card published (not kidding).

PM me when you are done or stuck: and please have a thick skin (don't take any comments personal!). A good writing style (grammer, tone, spelling) and internal consistancy (the hero crashes his x-wing in the first part of the story, yet it is just fine at the end?) are two big keys to good writing.

Best!

Jammies

8. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    wow thank you very much... yes that would be a HUGE help. Don't worry about me taking it personal... its my first attempt at really writing something so i am sure i will make plenty of mistakes. I know I will probably have to edit it and rewrite it like 100 times lol.

9. DarKyram

DarKyram Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2010
    Good luck at your writing. I've been working on quite a few Star Wars fanfics myself. I posted a link I think before, but I'm not sure if you've seen the thread (if it was here I posted it) so here it is. https://sites.google.com/site/theskullking84/home/stories

Its about my Mandalorian costume/character I have and my Corellian character. Take a gander (not all stories are finished) and hopefully it'll help you come up with some good ideas. I do my best to stay strictly with in-universe canon (mostly in the later eras and avoiding that Clone Wars retcon nonsense) so I can stay as close with continuity as possible.

10. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Neat stuff Dar.

I hope my last post didn't come off as too big-headed or cocky. I'm just happy to help.

Jammies

11. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    I have had to change my idea of what I wanted to do already lol.... like i said before I want to do something in the clone wars timeline dealing with black-ops with a little Karen Traviss influence for good measure (not stealing any characters but a couple would make small cameos here and there but mostly mentioning). At first I was planning on having an ARC trooper being the focus of it but I have changed it now to a unique Mandalorian of my own creation... and to Jammies.... your help is more than welcome :)

12. jedimaster91

jedimaster91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    I'd be happy to help proofread for typoes and flow. My degree is in medical imaging, but I did take a creative writing class in college. And I've always been a huge English nerd.

One thing that helps me when I write is to have relevent Wookieepedia tabs open in the background. For ARC troops, you might want to read up on Clone War eara blasters and ships if you aren't already familiar with them.

13. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    ty jedimaster... your addition will be a great help.... I was thinking of writing my story with an ARC as the main character but I changed my mind and now it will probably be a unique mandalorian warrior but it will still be black-ops style. I will be throwing some things from Karen Traviss' books in as well but it will be minimal at best... I want to make it as close to original as I can.

14. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    ok I have decided to change the direction of the book... since I am a big fan of Xanatos in the Jude Watson Jedi Apprentice series, I was thinking of writing the story of Xanatos' fall to the dark side and Qui-Gon killing his father. any thoughts??

15. jedimaster91

jedimaster91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    That sounds like an AWESOME idea. I too love the JA series and would love to see more about Xanatos.

16. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    sounds cool. I plan on writing the full story of my character. just havn't started yet, due to the fact that:
    1.) I have written in years, and only wrote short stories. This would require a longer format. Even in short installments, it would be the longest thing i wrote.
    2.) I would have to write dialog. I hate writing dialog. It just does not come naturally to me. I write in either prose, or in 3rd person narrative.
    But i'm going to try. at some point.

17. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    There is a series of comics comming out next month that tells the story that I was going to write about myself lol... its called "Star Wars: Jedi - The Dark Side" It tells of Qui-Gon and Xanatos going to Xan's home world and Qui-Gon having to kill Xan's father.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.