main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books after return of the jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jrock2004, Apr 14, 2015.

1. jrock2004

jrock2004 Jedi Padawan

Apr 12, 2015
    Are there books that explain what happens after the return of the jedi? If so what are they as I would love to start reading them. Sorry if this has been posted before

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If you don't mind about labels there are several series and trilogies worth and stand alone novels probably numbering in the hundreds. What are you interested in?

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Bear in mind though Cushy that those stories will almost certainly be 100% at odds with TFA. Better not to create confusion for a new reader, no?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's up to the individual. I consider confusion unlikely.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Moving to EU Literature.

7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Do you want to know just what happens after ROTJ or are you wanting to know the events after ROTJ and leading up to The Force Awakens? Because right now there is nothing leading up to TFA, that's been released I mean.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    As others have implied already it all boils down to what you want to read. If what you are looking for are stories that will be considered to be in the same universe as the movies that will be released soon then you are better off skipping everything that has come out previously and wait until September when the post ROTJ stuff in the new canon starts up.

If you don't care about that then there is a ton of stuff out there (some good and a lot bad) that you can delve into and you can just consider it an alternate universe to what will take place in the films coming up.

9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Thrawn trilogy?

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I consider the NJO book series my ST equivalent with the Legacy comics as my FT equivalent. The X-Wing series/Thrawn trilogy/Dark Empire trilogy/Jedi Academy trilogy/Hand of Thrawn duology and other stories are important stepping stones as well.

Havoc123 likes this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

If he doesn't care about canon to the new movies then those would be good choices to get into.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They do have issues at times but they work for me. Wouldn't trade them for the world. Try them. That's all I can say.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

To be honest the NJO does kind of contradict the PT (and as a result of that the OT) movies in a major way in the sense that after only a couple decades the Jedi Order was already rebuilt to the point to where they could fight off and battle an alien invasion.

Now of course the reason for that is that many of the rules for the EU New Jedi Order treated Luke's training as ordinary while the movies treat Luke's training as extraordinary (mainly because those EU rules were written down before the PT came out).

In the new canon it would likely take hundreds of years (if not longer than that) for the New Jedi Order to reach the point that it did in just a couple decades in the EU.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    100 Jedi in about 14 years. Down to 50 after the NJO war. Then skyrocketed to multiple hundreds if not thousands by DNT/LOTF/FOTJ. Not all of them were masters. Bit much? No idea but I can work with 100.

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It will be interesting when the new canon decides to build their New Jedi Order (whatever they choose to call it) will they keep the very slow process that we saw in the PT or speed things up and allow Jedi to train multiple padawan's at a time.

In anycase there is one designated fact that is solidly implanted into the ground and that is that it takes a long time to train most all Jedi (much longer than what was implied with Luke). That right there would automatically slow the process down a great deal.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see 5 to 10 Jedi max.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I agree 5 to 10 will be the max we will see during episodes 7-9. When they get around to making 10-12 though it will be interesting how they set the Jedi training up (I imagine they will jump ahead quite aways as the new actors won't really be old enough to play older characters). They will either have episode 10-12 take place shortyly after the end of the ST or long after when all the characters we see in the ST are dead.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Ok, so when:

* Han and Leia's kids - Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin - never happen;
    * Luke's Grand Master title, academy of knights, and restoration of Jedi - never happens
    * The Empire's gradual decline after Thrawn's death up until the peace is signed between the Remnant and NR, never happens

You think there's no confusion?

TFA gives no ****s about the books. It's not beholden to them, it's not deferring to them, and it's telling a story as if those books never existed.

So when this new reader reads stories which are expressly contradicted by the new films, to the point of being irrelevant by virtue of the new films, you think that's all fine?

Your optimism is boundless, as it can afford to be - not being tethered to reality and all.

19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    If you go in knowing you are reading an alternate universe to the upcoming movies, I don't see how that is confusing? Its too hard to keep straight which Solo kids were from the books and which were from the films?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure, and reading a book in which Chewie is crushed by a moon is gonna look a bit silly when this happens:

[​IMG]

Face it, for new people, not reading the 90% terrible EU back catalogue is a good thing and we should envy how untainted they are

Edited out bashing

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    where did you get that pic from Ender. Chewie looks totally edited into it.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Just the Force Awakens trailer man, it's probably fake. You are quite right.

23. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

It's just like reading stories in Marvel's back catalog that don't match up in detail with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I think the anti-EU crusade is just as ridiculous as the anti-StoryGroupCanon (SGC) crusade.

I'm in the final stages of finishing up (finally!) a read of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project for the first time, as a parallel/alternate/often complementary perspective on the SGC Clone Wars era. I'm really enjoying it as part of the Legends Star Wars Universe.

The Legends post-ROTJ era, actually, would be far less confusing for a reader who is aware of the alternate Story Group Canon, because it's incredibly easy to compartmentalize and branch off on this 'what if' narrative strain. I never read the NJO back in the day, but I'm actually starting to consider it. It'll be fun.

As has been said before, the LEGENDS canon hasn't been wiped out, it's just been, for all intents and purposes, become a 'closed canon' in and of itself. You can enjoy it as a (mostly) separate entity from the SGC, for people who enjoy stories inspired by the Star Wars films, worlds, and characters. And those familiar with the LEGENDS line will be able to appreciate little easter eggs and nods that content creators from the SGC can't help but place in there - because they are LEGENDS fans, too.

I think it's awesome that there's now going to be two whole branches of 'what might have happened after ROTJ' stories. One branch is now open for new content and ideas by the holders of the licence. One is presently closed. That's the only real difference. That's a lot of Star Wars stories! It's fun! Don't try and and keep people from having fun in these worlds.

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    My mind can't comprehend the existence of Ender Sai on this board dedicated to the Expanded Universe. It just boggles me. I guess I'll go to the ST Board and say how crap the new trilogy will be and its best to just read the EU instead?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    The old original expaned universe novels are still official.

The true post return of the jedi stories are these.

Truce at Bakura
    New Rebellion
    Courship of Princess Leia
    the X Wing novels
    I, Jedi
    Jedi Academy trilogy
    Crystal Star
    Heir of the Empire Trilogy
    Survivor's Quest