main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit books like the essential reader's companion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    what other books are there that have a bunch of brand new illustrations created for the book showing characters from the novels (that they wouldn't normally have pictures of them since novels are just text.)
    or where are other sources/books/etc that have pictures of characters who are in novels (i know somtimes there are pictures of the characters on the cover's, but for example there is an image in the reader's companion that shows the cast of the medstar dualagy who prior to that had no images of what they looked like...

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Basically every Essential Guide has a lot of original art. Some art comes from other more obscure sources, like say Star Wars card games.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm unashamedly hijacking this thread to ask who the woman wearing Jedi robes is in this picture from the New Essential Chronology:
    [​IMG]
    I know Luke, Kyp, and Kirana Ti, but I have no idea who the other woman is, and I can only assume that the guy is Streen. It doesn't look like Tionne and I'm pretty sure it isn't Madurrin. I'm so confused!

4. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Madurrin's not human, and it doesn't really look like Mara. Isn't that Tionne?

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

[​IMG]
    That's Tionne. I think it looks more like Mara than Tionne. But I don't think it looks like any character from Luke's first class.

6. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.

Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd imagine it was the artist's attempt at Tionne. From an in universe perspective the first Tionne could be one that is 30 years younger than the one in the Guide to the Force.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It's probably Tionne, but I am unashamed in saying that isn't exactly the best representation of...anyone. Then again, that artist also did this:

[​IMG]

Nice picture, until you realize this is probably supposed to be from Darksaber, where only Kyp, Luke, Cilghal, Dorsk, and Callista had lightsabers...so who are those Jedi with lightsabers slashing up the tank?

9. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    Why are they all wearing Jawa robes? I thought Luke's order only started doing after the Vong War that so they could blend in on Coruscant with its weird fashion trends.

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nah. They started wearing Jawa robes in 1999 when they saw Episode I in theaters and realized that the Colorful Pretty Robes salesman had trolled them.

In all seriousness, they should never have gone back to those ugly brown robes.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Pictures are accurate like 1% of the time.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's why, while the drawings are fun to look at (OOH, PRETTY PICTURE!), rely on the initial image you got in your head. It's usually better.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Mr. Purple is most likely Streen. Mr. Red looks like Brakiss but is most likely Kam. Dude in the middle looks like Dorsk 81.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We can actually blame KJA for this one. [face_dancing] Dark Apprentice specifically states that they're all wearing the brown robes.

KJA. Making fans roll their eyes since 1994.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Technically shouldn't those tanks be hovercraft? Weren't they AT-ATs with the legs replaced with repulsorlifts?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If everybody in this thread is going to bash Tommy Lee Edwards, I may have no choice but to hide in the corner and cry.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Hey I just want to know who that woman is supposed to be because I can't figure it out and it's driving me insane.

18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is the essential Readers companion still worth it even though it was outdated the moment it shipped?

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Outdated in what sense?

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Its info on Mercy Kill is vague at best, and it has nothing on Into the Void, Crucible, or Kenobi–though that was inevitable due to books being constantly released and it doesn't bother me whatsoever.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, unlike the in-universe essential guides, the background and "making of" information it provides on stories will never be "wrong." Whereas if you read the original Essential Guide to Characters, or even the newer one... or the original Essential Chronology.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, but at the same time it leaves out the possibility of a New Essential Reader's Companion–because 3/4s of such a book would be the exact same as this one with the newer books added in–and that one would subsequently be outdated instantly, too.

23. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Raltharan?

24. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Cray Mingla... Before she channels Callista?

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I think I've shown quite a bit of restraint so far.