main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit books like the essential reader's companion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Sep 2, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Me, too.

[​IMG]

BookExogorth likes this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have hard time dealing with TERC, because as I understand it, it does a lot of whitewashing of TCW redoing the Clone Wars and the disastrous Denningverse. Of course, I can't really blame Pablo Hidalgo for that, because that's what he had to work with due to the fact its all canon.

3. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Just joined the forum after finding this thread. Sorry to necro it but I am in search of repositories of art from the old EU. Does anyone know if there are places in this massive site that house the art from books like this or even a repository of art from card games or the role playing games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Your best bet is to figure out who the artist is for a piece you like and check their website. A lot of artists for the late essential guides and for the FFG RPG post their stuff on their sites, or deviant art, or artstation.

From this book in particular, i know specifically that the character portraits by Brian Rood are all very easy to find online. Other art, like the great Trevas pieces, are also easy to find in places like Wookieepedia etc.

In fact, maybe start your search there -- the Wook should have an image gallery for the Essential Reader's Guide.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    Finally, I have an opportunity to bring this up. What the **** were they thinking? [face_sick]

[​IMG]

It's a real shame, because The Essential Reader's Companion has a lot of fantastic artwork. Most of it is good and does justice to the source material, but then there's stuff like (pic related) that doesn't deserve to be featured in the same book. It's even worse when the victim is some lesser known character who doesn't really have any previously established portrait/visual rendition, so they'll be represented by a crude photoshop for eternity.

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was going to suggest Brakiss since he is described as somewhat androgynous but then I remembered that he was blond

7. kalzeth

Aug 26, 2017
    Those pics are crazy. How many pictures of never before featured characters are in this. I am mostly looking for pcs of mandos, jedi and sith

8. kalzeth

Aug 26, 2017
    Thanks for that. Didn't find any new ones that I was looking for but Trevas has some great work as does Rood. Any others I should look at?

9. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  10. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    But they are monks. Vanity in clothing wouldn't be in keeping with their philosophy.
    Also friendly reminder that the force ghost ending shot in RotJ confirmed what Jedi Robes looked like.

Daneira likes this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    For art...you have to take what you get. How many people, ships, etc..do we still not have art for and are left up to our imaginations.

I would love to see new Essential Atlas and Warfare books....give us a history of the GFFA up to TPM and make it the Story Group Bible that all writers have to honor in their writing. Possibly even a series of Atlas books that allow them to go into more detail for all the planets, sectors, etc...