main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Books: Which do you prefer? Borrowing from the library? Owning? New vs. Used? Comics?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I think this is an interesting subject because I am a big proponent of using the public library and its assets and I love to go to the library and find books that I might not otherwise read.

If I didn't go to the library I would be completely broke from buying books.

When I buy my books, I try to buy them used if possible. Where I live I have a department store type used bookstore called Bookmans. I've gotten probably 90% of the books I now own from there at a fraction of the cost. It was there that I was introduced to one of my favorite fantasy books Slay and Rescue

But there are some books that I am glad to have in my collection that are new.

I also know that you can get comics new or used and some libraries carry some of the older graphic novels.

So, which do you prefer?

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I prefer completely new books when it comes to novels.

However, for hardcore, serious, non-mainstream reference, I go to the one of the local university libraries.

I mean they got these big, fat Occult dictionaries and all that good stuff... stuff you can't get anywhere else!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When I was growing up the libraries near my homes were lousy for SF books. I got into the habit of buying those and haven't stopped. Most of my books are new but I have found some gems in thrift stores and in the charity box of the local corner store. (Found a UK First Edition paperback of ESB there for 50 pence..). The bookstores in town here are OK for some of the SF books but every few months I go into London to Forbidden Planet to shop. I also use Amazon quite a bit, both the UK and US site.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    There is something special about reading a book knowing its pages have never been turned before. If I can afford it I always buy the novel I want to read. But sometimes that's just not possible, especially in regards to non-fiction.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I tend to buy new books, for two reasons.

Firstly, because it's rare that the library has the books I'm interested in, and it's even more difficult to find them in used book stores. And secondly, because I like supporting authors directly.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I prefer buying books if they're fantasy or sci-fi. Anything else I'll read once and never read again. There are rarities. Plus if you love the book or series buy it.

I haven't borrowed from a library in years.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    If its an author I haven't read before, I usually get their books out from the Library first or go to a used book store. I only buy new ones if its a series I like or I like the author.

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've always prefered buying books rather than using the Library. My Library was very bad for not taking good care of their Sci-Fi books. They'd never seem to buy anything new either. So I grew up determined to build my own collection of books. One that would be vast and well cared for. And I'm very delighted to say that it is very much those things. Five large book cases and two shelfs worth. :p

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I prefer paperbacks, and ones i can bend the heck out of. New or sued, I don't much care. I do also like going to the library because there are a lot of books that i want to read once but never again.

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Sued? Who's sueing who? :p ;) Sorry. [:D]

I do like paperbacks for that reason.

But I do like to take books out of the library [when the Library Police aren't carrying a warrant for my arrest for overdue books :eek: [face_worried] ]. Especially ones that I couldn't read otherwise because I only want to read them once and if I really like them I'll buy them.

Then there are books that I buy like Dressing A Galaxy. I took 3 days just to take it out of the plastic seal. Then . . . I couldn't bring myself to open it. Finally I did and I savored it. It now sits in a shrine and I pay homage to it. :p ;)

I guess I am a big fan of the public library. I like it when libraries have networks that they borrow and lend from. :D Makes the selection bigger. The "public library" system sure has changed since I was a kid. I remember the days of a card catalogue! [face_laugh]

11. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I perfer to buy books, but being tight on cash, I use the library. And I don't care if it's new or used, so long as all the pages are there.

12. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I am definitely a buyer of books. My library is impressive, at least for someone at my age. Until I came to college, the library was just not in a part of town I was often around, so I never really hung around there except for the year or so when they had their temporary location during renovations. Now I could easily walk to the library, but I'm just used to getting my own books. As for new versus used, I'll take either. I definitely buy my textbooks used wherever possible, mostly because they're cheaper that way and textbooks are RIDICULOUS. Other books, though... meh, I get most of my books new, but that doesn't mean I won't buy a used one as long as it's still readable. For instance, I bought Myst: The Book of Atrus used because it's out of print. So really, as long as it's a book, I'm happy.

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I remember those too. I studied them in English class. :p

I tend to reread, so I buy more often than not. New or used, I'm happy with both. :) If it's a book I'm not too sure I'll like, or something rather expensive, I use the library.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I prefer to buy books, because generally I'll end up reading them several times, but with the exception of SW books (and a handful of special cases, such as Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams because of a booksigning) I'll wait for the books to come out in PB, since thats what I collect. If I can get them at a used bookstore, great, if not, oh well. There aren't any really good used bookstores around here, so I don't get to go to used bookstores all that often (though when I do, I rarely leave without at least one book in my hand). Library... only in a few cases, and very rarely.

15. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Quite honestly, I haven't been to the library in years. I buy all my books. That way, there is no time limit to read them and if I accidentally mess up a book - an extremely rare occurence, I'm the owner and the one who paid for it - it's my loss only. Plus, I've seen people do some whacky things with library books - reading them while they're on the toilet, eating over them, and other unattractive and unhealthy things. At least I know where my books have been. ;)

16. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I love old books, so I use the library regularly. I know one that has really unique titles, not available in bookstores anymore.

I also wish the habit of selling/buying/exchanging used books and book-crossing developed in Poland.

17. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I like to own books! They are neat.

18. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    You're wrong...

tan paper >>>> white paper :p

19. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I own my books cause the books at the library are either written in or not there when you want them. I also tend to read my books again so im glad that they are there on my bookshelf (which is getting too full btw) and i can grab them anytime i want. So i prefer new and i also like comics which too but i have been getting them used.

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    New, from the bookstore, and preferable in paperback. However, since I'm fifteen and therefore not legally old enough to have a job other than babysitting, I edn up going to the library for most books. The library gives me a lot of grief, though. I've had an amazing amount of problems with it :mad:

21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    One of the employee perks of the 'Huge Souless Retail' giant of a bookstore I work @ is an 'employee bookloan' program where you can check out a new hardcover book w/ a dust jacket so long as you sign and leave the dust jacket, how else would I be reading "Outbound Flight' right now?
    back when I was trying to catch up w/ SW EU ,I totally went to the library, they had a decent audio book library but they haven't botherd to update themselves recently - it sucks...

22. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I prefer to own books, preferably older paperbacks. It's annoying having late fees. :mad:

The Hooded Soul

23. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    *is jealous of mrsvos* ;)

24. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I do both. It just depends on the book and author for me.

25. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005

Yep that's the argument... [face_laugh] Maybe you should learn to read quicker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.