main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Books: Which do you prefer? Borrowing from the library? Owning? New vs. Used? Comics?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I buy all of my books. I think I've only read...maybe ten from the library. I do use the library's DVD collection, though.

However, for books I hate libraries because you're not supporting the author and most libraries don't even bother to get the stuff that I like. It's all too mainstream.

Plus I hate to know that other people have probably sneezed in the library book or taken it into the bathroom.

Finally I just love the feeling of getting a brand new book.

2. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Yup, that's another good reason to own them - the reread value. And I hear ya on the full bookshelf - I have one whole bookcase devoted to Star Wars books that is almost full and two other bookcases crammed tight with all my other books. ;)

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I prefer to buy new books. I like the freedom of taking my time and reading at my own pace (which tends to be extremely slow, by the way).

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I like owning because I tend to return books late to the library.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I've not been to a Public-class library in . . . since mid-90s. I remember seeing some sci fi books like Dr Who in the children's section. It's been suggested to me I borrow books I ordinarily wouldn't like or buy, and a good one it is. But no way in Padme's breath will I if from a children's section. Still, I ought to see if things have changed.

6. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    It mainly depends on the author or subject matter. Authors I love I'll get hardback without a second thought. Authors I find to be more average or I have no experience with will get libraried or used copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.