main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Jedi_Junkie, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    I finished ANH up a month or so ago, I really loved the "deleted scenes", if you want to call them that. Such as Luke's interaction with Biggs, Camie, and Fixer. Also interesting is the internal thoughts of characters such as Vader that are supposedly running through thier heads during scenes. I just picked up Force Heretic 2 yesterday as well as a Episode 1 visual dictionary slashed to 5 bucks. This might seem a wee bit off topic but on the subject of comic books, I find it nigh on impossible to get the comics that are supposedly released every month, nobody carries them or only carry a few copies that are grabbed up by fanboys like me who can go during the middle of the week when I have to work. There are so many kick ass stories about the clone wars right now and they are all slipping right by me! Im looking forward to getting the new Mace Windu novel next month, should be killer.

2. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, I feel terribly ashamed of myself now! You finished the book a month ago and I'm only on page 80-something.. And to think, this thing was my idea and I can't even keep up! *smacks hand* Lazy Sarah! -- Righto, well, I have noticed that most of the comic places around here don't seem to have a strong desire to keep in stock the ever increasing volume of Star Wars comics, seeing as many of them don't sell I can't blame them. But, good number of the SW comics do sell. I'm not an avid comic collector or reader, but I go to Fanatics in the Dayton Mall whenever I can. They not only have this guy named Craig who is very much into Star Wars (hm.......), but they also have a casual selection of SW comics, cards, and some figures. Another neat thing, I've noticed that some customers can special order comics. I'm not sure if everyone can do it, I've never tried, but if you're really after a certain comic you could try. I personally like to go in and chat with said clerk, and ocassionally actually purchse something....

3. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I just got done reading Tatooine Ghost. It started out pretty good and the diary entries were cool but man did that story just die about halfway through. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing ever did! As far as comics go, Borders(at least the one by tri-county mall) has an excellent selection of Star Wars comics and graphic novels.

4. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    The new book Shatterpoint comes out this week and it sounds like it's gonna be pretty kick butt!

5. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I can't believe myself, I've read/listened to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire twice since I started A New Hope, and I STILL haven't finished the book. Is there a version of A New Hope on tape? That'd be excellant.. I just don't have much patience, or time to sit and read. Especially since I'm going bonkers about finishing the silly HP robe I'm working on.

6. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I haven't started it either, Everytime I think about starting it I see another book I would rather read and end up going with that book instead. :)

7. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I've been to Fanattics and tried to get comics ordered but they screwed it all up so I told them to just forget it. I guess I will start driving to Dark Star in Yellow Springs, they usually have a decent selection of SW comics and even some vintage figures. Does anyone know the name of the book where the Emporer comes back in clone form and Luke is seduced temporarily to the dark side? I really would like to read that book but can't remember the title.

8. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    It's the graphic novel Dark Empire Trilogy. You should be able to find Dark Empire 1 & 2 but 3 might be kinda hard to find. I liked Dark Empire 1 & 2 but personally I felt that the end of #3 really sucked. I won't ruin it for you but let me know what you thought of it. :)

9. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Aw, that really sucks. When did you try the ordering thing? Recently? I haven't been to the mall in ages, Mommy never wants to go in(I need a job something awful -_-).
    I go to Dark Star occasionally, I'm usually rushed by my family so I've never had a chance to properly parouse the comic books.

10. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I picked up a really great SW book today called A Galaxy Not So Far Away. It's a collection of 16 different essays from various journalists, musicians, directors,etc. that loosely gives thier view on the whole SW phenomenon and it's impact on our society. Im about halfway through it already, a good read if you have $15 bucks to spare. Hoping I get the new Mace Windu novel from Kim for my birthday so I haven't bought it yet.

11. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I had to return SW to the library, overdue. Never finished ANH, I'm very irritated with myself. Perhaps I can pick it up again? I was scarcely at page one hundred, I seem to have developed an avoidance of the book, although I honestly enjoyed it when I did read.

I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in less than three days' worth of reading. Great book, very different than the other four. We will all miss Fred and George.

12. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Sarah, make sure you don't say anything that happens in the book around Gwen. I haven't had a chance to run down to work to grab her a copy yet. By the way, How was the little party? :)

13. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Aw, shame on you Sean! ;) Can't even get your gal her book, tsk tsk.

The scholastics party wasn't much of one, I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed.. No one hung around to talk, and it was more of an assembly line appearance. They just wanted people in and out. But I was happy with my hat, and goodies bag. Not to mention the book itself, although I found a good many screw ups in the book. Ink smudges, words half missing, I had half a mind to buy another one -- .. Well, not really.
    I went to another release party, at Barnes and Nobles at Fairfield, that was amusing. There was a costume contest, photos, we could've made chinsy little wands and hats too. They also gave everyone Potter glasses. I went in my (entirely hand made!) costume, and lost to this git in a crappy LOTR cloak, hooch tye-died peasant shirt, and crinkled skirt claiming to be Prof. McGonagall. Gr.

14. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm sorry the party was a let down. But look on the good side...you got the book cheaper than anyone plus you got a free hat/goodie bag, ect. :)

15. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hey, it's not your fault! I was really pleased to tell people I got my book for fifteen bucks, along with the hat and goodies. I was also fairly happy to get to do the driving to West Chester, I never get to drive.

16. Gwen_Amidala

Gwen_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Okay, Sarah, finished Harry Potter over the weekend. I agree, I will miss Fred and George, too. What did you think of the book overall? I thought it was pretty good, a little darker than the previous ones (chalk it up to teen angst). I thought it left several questions unanswered, too. But, I guess that's what leaves it wide open for a sequel, eh?

17. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Overall I thought the book was pretty good, it was so different from the other four I don't think it's fair to compare it to them. When I first got the book I read the first six or seven chapters, put it down and picked it up the next day so that I wouldn't find myself critisizing Rowling's slightly different style.

I especially enjoyed the titles of the chapters. Particularly chapter one, "Dudley Demented". Loved that one. And since that chapter, one must ponder over how muggle aunt Petunia really is. <_< That'd be quite interesting.

18. Gwen_Amidala

Feb 2, 2003
    Wouldn't it be crazy if Petunia was more magic than muggle? That would really be a good twist!

19. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I think it'd be interesting if Aunt Petunia were a witch, but I'm not sure if I'd really like it.. It'd debase the whole idea of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon being these horrible evil muggles, it just wouldn't be the same if Aunt Petunia were a witch. -- But then again... It might be what drove Petunia to hate Lily so much. o_O Hrm..

So what'd you think of Umbridge? I was kinda hoping she'd get a better comeupance...

20. Gwen_Amidala

Feb 2, 2003
    yeah, I agree with you on Umbridge. She was pretty shady. She definately deserved everything she got from Fred and George (and Peeves -hee hee). Who do you think they'll tap for their Defense of Dark Arts teacher in the next book? Do you think they'll ever give it to Snape?

21. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm not sure I really have any inkling who she'll use for DADA in book six, but I've always wondered why Dumbledore never taught it himself. I mean, he's an exceptional wizard, particularly in defense.
    I seriously doubt Snape will ever get the position, Dumbledore would have to find a new potions master. And either way, if they were to find someone already in the school it would cap off the running gag. Now that you have me thinking, though, I imagine she'll probably bring in an entirely new character, or maybe someone else from the Order. Wouldn't it be amusing if one of the Weasley's taught it? Bill or Charlie maybe?

22. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I just finished Shatterpoint, the Mace Windu Clone Wars novel. I won't get into any details on the story in case anyone is reading it right now, but in my opinion this is the darkest, most grim chapter in the Star Wars universe. Yes, even more than Empire Strikes Back. The ending has such a foreboding feel to it and there are no real winners, dark reading indeed. Now Im going to start Force Heretic 3, which I hope will be better than FH2, which should have been titled The Truce At Bakura 2.

23. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hmm.. I've been wondering if maybe we should start a new group book? I mean, every one who is going to finish ANH has already finished. Or are we abandoning that whole concept and continuing on with our independant endeavors?

24. ohiojedi

ohiojedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    After ep.1 released, i really got interested in reading star wars novels. I am reading the jedi quest series which you probably already know that it pertains to anakin and obi wan...i havent yet read ANH,ESB,ROTJ, all the originals..gosh, what kind of star wars fan am i...lol...i am getting better though. i jsut ordered " the approaching storm " i am trying to read the books between ep.1 and 2...oh well...i will catch up sometime.

25. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hey, Ohio, I'm just as bad (if not worse). I haven't read ANH, ESB, or ROTJ. I also haven't read the entirety of Episode I or II. -- Although I am almost done with Ep II. I haven't managed to finish any of the recent books. I'm currently trying to read Rogue Planet, but not getting very far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.