main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Boom-Lay, Boom-Lay, Boom: The Expendables

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Sep 13, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I assumed it was a combination of Crews taking Snipes's slot in EX1 (thus the swap out) and Crews's Brooklyn 99 schedule (facilitating the swap-out).

BigAl6ft6 and rumsmuggler like this.
  2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't know Snipes was supposed to be in the first.Crews was awesome, but the swap out makes sense.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah Crews took Snipes place since he was in jail and the one villain was supposed to be JCVD since he declined/wanted a larger role or some such.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really enjoyed the last Rambo movie for the sadistic grindhouse-like feature that it was.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, Rambo actually ended with him in a happy place. Or at least isolated and at peace. Give Rambo his happy place!

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    At least it seems that Sly has abandoned the long rumored Predator knock-off angle in favor of Rambo vs. a Mexican drug cartel. As long as it doesn't involve Rambo mentoring the next generation of wandering one man army commandos, I'm okay.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If Stallone basically does Expendables 3 lil' Expendables again but with Rambo I shalt be disappointed.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I think Expendables 3 was a teachable moment for Sly, but my one concern would be that he's sorta-kinda doing the old guy mentor/handing off the baton thing with again with Creed, the Rocky spin-off/sequel where Rocky mentors Apollo Creed's son or grandson, can't remember which. I actually think that could be promising (written and directed by the guy who did Fruitvale Station, starring Michael B. Jordan as the titular Creed), but I want no part of a youthful, monosyllabic 'tude-filled MMA fighter side-kick for Rambo, and I sure as heck won't shed a tear if none of the Gen-Y MMA types he brought in for Expendables 3 suddenly become, well, expendable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed, I don't have a mad-on for the idea behind Creed (even if it is, y'know, basically sounds like Rocky 5 again) but when it comes to action flicks, you don't need the whole "training the next generation" thing. Rocky movies are (kinda, sorta, mostly) supposed to be realistic but you can really stretch plausibility of the old guy kicking ass motif in Expendables and Rambo. Those should be more like Unforgiven of action movies where the hunter goes out for one last ride. We really don't need the younger generation in those flicks but that could work with Rocky.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Agreed. And at some point The Expendables series will need to go that "One last adventure" route that Sly seems to be steering Rambo towards. I know the purpose of the series is to recapture some of that clever quip/empty clip magic of the 80s and 90s, and I wouldn't want to stray too far away from that, but my biggest issue with this franchise as a whole is that the stakes always feel too small and impersonal. Killing off Mickey Rourke in the first one and tying Mel Gibson's character to the team really hasn't done much to help the latter IMO.

12. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    To a large degree, this was also the foundation of Rocky Balboa as well. Not a direct mentoring situation, but still, Rocky passed this off to Mason Dixon. If you have seen Grudge Match, then that movie should have been what Rocky Balboa was, and then the upcoming "Creed" would have been the final "pass the torch" type of bookend. As it stands, Rocky 5 and Rocky Balboa sort of end up making Creed redundant.

The final Rambo seems more like a "final ride" type of movie, although without knowing much about it, it seems to undo the best scene out of any of the Rambo movies- when Rambo starts walking down the long driveway home. Like above, it's another example of if Stallone had any idea he was going to do another Rambo after the last one, he should have saved that scene for the real finale.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The end of Last Blood Rambo walks down the long driveway home again. With a cane.

If it just ends with Rambo dying, that would be weak. I think he's kind of like Jack Bauer where he's the one who survives, which is kind of a bit of it's own ironic torture.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They didn't kill off Mickey Rourke's character in the first film. He just didn't return for the sequels due to scheduling (at least in the case of the second film).

I do agree that the one thing this franchise has missed has been higher stakes- for a series called "the expendables", they have a very high survival rate. They could have easily killed off a few members of the team to rotate in other action stars in a way that would have made this a more sustainable franchise beyond just 4 films. Instead the only casualties (that I recall off the top of my head) has been the not-Thor Hemsworth in the second film and the villains.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Fixed :p

For some reason I have memories of them finding his character stabbed to death in his bar in the first one, but I've only seen it the one time, and that was 4+ years ago now.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sly gives a small update on the fourth film being prepped.

Apparently he's hinting at a connection to Cliffhanger, which might imply a costar from that film or Renny Harlin being involved in the new movie.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wait, I thought Stallone had washed his hands of the franchise :confused:. I've been largely indifferent to the franchise, but the idea of an Expendables w/o Stallone just didn't make any sense, so glad he's back.

Now let the "What former action star(s) will they try to snag this time?" speculation begin.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Supreme Leader Snoke should have some free time in his schedule.

Juke Skywalker and vin like this.
  20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Carl Weathers
    Jackie Chan
    Nicholas Cage
    Pierce Brosnan
    Dennis Quaid
    Kevin Costner
    Mr.T

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    reginald veljohnson

vin likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Mario Van Peebles.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Teasing a fourth on the 4th:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fourth film is shooting.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have their been any rumors about Expendabelles? I hear Gina Caranino has some time on her hands. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.