main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boot help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ithorian, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    Just a curiosity thing, but I'm having difficulty getting boots for my Jedi costume. Does anyoen have good tips on where to get boots? I tried the stuff on Amber's website, but one of the links is dead.

2. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    If you pick threw the posts, there are a few really good options for boots. There out there. The option that I've heard is to go to a Army surplus store and find old German boots.

Beyond having some helpful people here on the board tell ya, I'm at a loss, beyond riding boots, which can be kinda expensive.

Lotus..= )

3. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    For my boots I bought a pair of short boots at a thrift store and will be making taller by making 'wraps' that will go from about my ankles to just below my knees. If you look closely, it appears that some of the Jedi boots in the movies were actually made like this, IMO.

The boots I got were $4 and the pleather I bought for the 'wraps' was about $20 (at http://www.equilter.com - but I got more than I should need, in case of screw ups, so you could easily get what you might need for less. Unfortunately, I haven't yet had the time to put these together. :( I will post pics when I have, though!

Also, if you look in the VD at the boots all the different Jedi wear, you will see that not all of them are even similar to Obi-Wan's (Ki-Adi-Mundi being a good example), so you could easily style the boots however you want and they would be perfectly acceptable as a Jedi's.

4. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks, guys. I've just been looking for boots in general, not really Obi-Wan boots, but just some tall boots. I'll swing by my local Army surplus and see what they've got.

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Boots for any costume are probably the hardest part of the costume and the part of the costume most fans sluff off.
    Boots are a huge detail and costumes that use rubber work boots suffer greatly. They aren't like other details such as Jedi pouches which you can hide or can be written off as "custom." Bad boots are bad boots, and any serious costumer doesn't overlook the footwear, especially if the rest of their costume is great.

There are lots of ways to do Jedi boots. Here is some info:

The first place to try are local thrift and boot stores. Although it's pretty rare, I've seen some really fantastic boots made from a couple of $5 boots someone found at a garage sale or a Goodwill store. Someone found a nice set of ankle-high leather shoes and made the rest of the boots from vinyl. You could also use leather.
    But don't get your hopes up on this option. Your options dry up pretty quickly as your shoe size goes up. if you find some great boots buy them then or they will be gone. Good stuff disapears fast at thrift stores and garage sales. Hope for this option but plan on going with one of the others listed below.

Jedi Boot Tut recommends getting the Cadett Synthetic Boots from Grand Prix. They are around $30.00. Be warned, although the pics show a brown boot they are black and they only come in black. His tutorial uses Nu-Life viny/leather spray and some leather straps from Tandy Leather.

Horse Fly boots sells some nice boots for around $220. They are leather.
    Personally I would avoid this option, for another $5.00 you can get some accurate leather Jedi boots made to fit you.

The Boots of Star Wars
    "Because Boba doesn't wear Reeboks"
    This is a site that shows you info on allot of the SW footwear and wear you can buy some of the original items.

These are the boots I got:
    [image=http://www.nashvilleforce.com/goonies/Boots01.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nashvilleforce.com/goonies/Boots02.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nashvilleforce.com/goonies/Boots03.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nashvilleforce.com/goonies/Boots04.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nashvilleforce.com/goonies/Boots05.jpg]
    They are made by a talented leather artist in Thailand for $225. I had to send him something like 9 measurements of each foot and leg and it took only two weeks for them to arrive. They are the best boots you can get without breaking into the LFL Archives. If you want these boots I can hook you up with the guy who makes them. He also makes Solo boots, Stormtrooper boots, and Rocketeer boots.

Whatever you do, don't use rubber work boots. They look horrible and they are made in one piece and are pretty thick so the ankles don't flex very well and they will trap your sweat in your boots and it will stay moist for DAYS. My first boots were modifed from some rubber work boots and around Halloween 1999 I wore my costume allot and once it had been a week since I wore my boots and they were still damp. The lack of ankle flexibility and the fact that it traps your sweat and heat inside the boot will make this incredibly uncomfertable for Halloween events, conventions, and other costumed events. Just ask someone with an accurate Vader costume how fun it is to get back into smelly, sweaty costume on Day 2 of a convention.

At the very least go with the Cadett boots.

As for what Jedi has what boot, as far as I know each Jedi has a different boot. Qui-Gon's are different than Obi-Wan's, which are different from Ki-Adi's and Mace Windu's, etc.

6. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, personally, all of the visable stitching on your boots have absolutely no appeal to me, JediToren. I couldn't bring myself to spend $225 on them if I were rich ... Which is why I'm being creative with mine, and offering my ideas to others to use if they wish. :)

And yes, all Jedi do have different boots, which makes creating your own look more authentic ... from a certain point of view ;)

7. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Right, be creative. That's what it's all about. I never found good boots to start from so I went with those.
    The problem is that allot of the time costumers use the word "custom" to explain bad work.

"Those aren't my dad's rubber work boots, they are custom Jedi boots."

BTW, I'm not rich, just a starving college student. I take on extra jobs to help for my projects and spread the cost out over a period of several months to a year so that I can afford it.

There are thousands of Jedi costumes out there, and the only way to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack is to do a great costume.
    When I say "great," I'm not talking about dead-on accuracy, I'm talking about details. Great costumes lie in the details. The little props on the belt, great boots, a great cloak, and so on.
    My Jedi costume is certainly not accurate, I made many changes, some based on making the costume more comfertable for me, others based on things I didn't like about Obi-Wan's Ep1 costume (which I based mine on.) It isn't accurtate, but it IS detailed. The details not only make your costume more interesting (even lay people always ask questions about my belt details) they tell a story about your character.

"Well, personally, all of the visable stitching on your boots have absolutely no appeal to me, JediToren."
    There are more to my boots than visible stitching.

8. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    Black is fine, black is good. Brown would work, but with the color scheme I'm using, black will work, too. Plus, I haven't bought the fabric for my outer robe yet, so depending on the color of the boots, I may go with something other than brown, anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, while we're on the subject, does anyone know what the deal is with choosing a size. I can't find any description on how to choose a boot size other than pages saying "Boot sizes are different than shoe sizes."

9. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    My feet are quite small, and since I wanted men's boots there was virtually no way I was going to find a pair of boots that was actually going to be even close to fitting me. The boots I got are HUGE on me. WAY too big. To help fix this I've inserted two Dr. Scholl's double padded foot 'pillows' into each boot. They're still lose, but VERY comfortable. Once I get the top parts done I don't see any problems with how they will fit.

So I just recommend that if you're ordering online, get a size or two bigger than what you usually wear .. it's easy to add padding to a boot, but your feet are going to hate you if you guess too small. It's not worth the risk.

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    As an equestrian, I know quite a bit about riding boots, and the style of boots used in SW. I even used to work at a tack shop where we sold lots of boots, from synthetic all the way up to custom made. Even though the word "rubber" may turn you off, please hear me out. You can buy synthetic boots that look very realistic. I have two pairs myself that I use for riding in the rain. To look at them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real leather ones. Plus they are easier to fit into and a fraction of the cost of leather boots. You can get a decent pair of synthetic boots for $30-50. If you want to buy actual leather boots, however, you are looking at at least $100 for them, and upwards of $400 for actual polo boots. Another option is to buy half-chaps that can be worn over the top of work boots. Half-chaps come in smoothe or suede finish and are very easy to fit to your calves. They also have the strappy look that many Jedi boots have. They come in a wide range of prices as well, but usually run for $30-90. Here are links to many of the different sites that offer each of these options:

Half-Chaps:
    Grand Prix
    Ariat
    State Line Tack

Synthetic Boots:
    State Line Tack
    State Line Tack 2
    Chicks

Leather Boots:
    Devon Aire
    Grand Prix

Custom Boots This is the best site you will find for any kind of custom boots.

11. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    But like Ithorian asked, "what about fit?" I wear a size 10 in everything I've had, so can I just buy a size 10 riding boot too?

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    You can definately buy a size 10. Most manufacturers offer up to a 13EE at least, and if they don't offer large enough sizes usually they will special order for you for a minimal extra charge.

However, after rethinking the question, you may have to make adjustments based on the height of your knee and width of your calf. I will do a little bit of research on sizing and post back in a little while.

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Most websites that sell boots offer sizing info. However, if they don't it is a good idea to go directly to the manufacturer whith questions on sizing. For example, if you buy boots made by Ariat, go to Ariat.com. I have actually looked up their sizing page, however. You can find it here.

As far as half-chaps go, they come in different widths and lengths, but are usually somewhat universally sized. If you require a Medium in one brand, you'll probably need a Medium in the others. Here is a good example of sizing for half chaps.

I have always tried on boots in an actual store, rather than buying them online. That is really your best bet (in any purchasing situation) as far as sizing goes, but if you don't have that option, just buy the pair that best fits your measurements.

Another thing to remember when you try on your pair the first time, is that leather will stretch out and conform to your own feet and legs, in their own time, after you wear them. The first time you wear them they may be difficult to put on. That is why it is reccomended to buy boot pulls to help you. You also should keep them very well conditioned with a good quality leather conditioner, such as Bick 4 or Lexol

14. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Cool thanks! One more question though. How about the synthetics? That was the way I was considering going, as black is not a problem for me. Do you size them the same way? I notice Grand Prix has no sizing info for them.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Synthetics generally are more of a one-size fits all thing. They usually don't sell them by widths, just foot sizes. I guess it depends on your legs. My synthetics fit really well. They are loose, but the lining makes them fit snugly.

If you are worried about a fit, though, I would reccomend looking for a tack shop somewhere near you to try them on in person. Brand's like Devon-Aire are popular and are usually carried everywhere.

16. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    I just got some GI combat boots from WWII and put a flap of leather over the laces. They lok really cool and it only cost me around $50.00 for everything.

17. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    "Even though the word "rubber" may turn you off, please hear me out."

I'm not against the user of rubber (well other than the fact that it traps sweat in your boots which is very uncomfertable), I'm against the use of Rubber Work Boots. They are way too short, usually only coming up to the middle of the shin, they have large, fat toes instead of semi-pointed toes like riding boots and most of the other boots out there. Most of them have molded ridges and lines that look dorky, not to mention the army boot-like soles of those things. Most, if not all, rubber work boots are cast in one piece and have very inflexible ankles, which is a royal pain if you plan on wearing your costume to any place that requires walking.
    For a few bucks more you can some boots that are easily modified, look better, and are far more comfertable. Like the Cadett boots from Grand Prix.

Riding boots are great, especially those Grand Prix boots. My original plan was to use Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy's idea of getting some nu-life spray and some leather strapping from Tandy Leather. Unforunately the Cadett's dont come in my size.

18. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    i always wondered if you could try something other than boots....i think Jango Fett uses rugged mountain shoe shaped shoes, and then they covered it with armor and stuff, i think if you're creative, and you're making a costume for a non-Jedi, you can use any type of old shoe and add modifications to it, like a piece of bent metal over the top or you could paint it silver or blah blha you get the idea...

19. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Antilles01, that sounds like a great idea, but there could be a few problems.

First of all, a Jedi's footwear needs to fit into the look of the whole costume. It would be difficult to pull off some good looking ankle high boots on a traditional Jedi outfit, but a more original Jedi design could certainly make excellent use of them.

If you want a traditional Jedi boot, you could start with a leather shoe or an ankle high boot and use leather and/or vinyl to make the portion of the boots that covers the calves.

The problem with short shoes/boots is they leave a dangling pant ankle that must be dealt with. It looks pretty ugly if the end of your pant leg isn't tucked in and is just hanging there like regular clothing. Very few, if any, Star Wars characters have pants like that. Most of the SW costumes have tall boots or cover the ankle with armour.

Pants are usually the most boring part of a costume, which is probably why the boots are usually so tall.

In the end the issue of whether or not a short boot/shoe would work comes down to how you deal with the ankles and the pants. This sounds like a great idea and I would love to see someone try it on their Jedi costume.

20. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I recently found Russian Dress boots, that are knee high, and black. They have very little sitching along the ancle, but for what you get they aren't bad. I found them for 89.00 but I am definately sure you could find them out there for cheaper.

There are two kinds of these boots, one is all leather, and the other is leather and synthetic, in the same boot. So besure if you go this route, that you really ask.

Lotus..= )

21. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    But Toren, didnt you read my post? I specifically said footwear for non-Jedi!

edit: even though this topic started out as a Jedi-footear question, the multi-post answer encompassed all SW footwear pretty much...

22. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Doh! I need to stop answering posts so early in the morning.

23. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Just to let you boot shoppers know....there is a auction on ebay right now for the same boots JediToren has starting at $49.00! The catch you ask? You must need a size 11 boot. They were made for someone who never paid. But if thats your size, and you want some awesome looking boots, there you go!

Jedi boots

24. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    "The catch you ask? You must need a size 11 boot."
    Also the whole boot is finished which means it may not fit your leg if your legs are too small or too thin. Loose, baggy boots are bad and tight ones are even worse. Before you think about bidding it would be good to grab a tape measure and take some measurements of your legs.

It's a steal at $49.00, but there are 6 days left on the auction. All it takes is a few people like those at the RPF or ASAP to get wind of an auction like this and the bidding will get pretty competitive.
    But if it stays off of those forums, I bet it won't be a problem. I doubt many here will bid on it. Many posters here aren't even old enough to bid on eBay anyway.

I know that you were trying to help, but in some of the more "professional" (for lack of a better term) communities like the RPF, posting links to eBay auctions is frowned upon for a number of reasons.
    The main reason is because it can push what was a $50 item into the hundreds of dollars. Imagine how it feels when someone who isn't even bidding on the item comes in and basically takes whatever chance you had at getting it.
    Chances are that if a great deal like this one shows up on eBay, there are plenty of people in the loop who will know about it and there is no need to post it. All it really takes is a quick search on eBay to find out anyway.

It's considered appropriate to post eBay auctions if:
    -You are the seller or a bidder in the auction.
    -You suspect the seller may be running a scam.
    -The auction is so outrageous nobody would bid on it (eg. Tatooine sand for $500)

You should ALWAYS ask the seller for permission when posting links to their auctions, even if you are a bidder. We keep unlicesed replica info a secret because we don't want these guys to get screwed. This forum is often considered a serious security threat because so many posters aren't careful with their links, hence why so few people advertise their wares here.

I imagine some here have the attitude that if they get caught it's their own fault, they're playing with matches and it's their funeral.
    If you have such an attitude, keep it to yourself. It WILL find it's way to the prop replicators and after that will end your future as a prop/costume buyer.

I know that you were just trying to be helpful, paperclipx, and that's really great. But we need to be careful so that future costumers can have access to the same products that we have now.

25. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I found a pair of dark brown "roper" boots. They are just plain brown cowboy boots with no patterns or shapes on them. The toe is more round than most Cowboy boots I have seen. I think they may work. I will have to look at them with the rest of my costume a bit. Anyone else use a similar boot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.