main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boot help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ithorian, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Ropers are a style of cowboy boots. One of the features of them is that they have rounded toes, rather than the pointed ones you usually see. They also usually have a crepe sole. Did the ones you bought come like that? If they did, you will find that to be very beneficial. I have a pair of Tony Lamas Ropers that I wear for barn work and stuff like that. They are extremely comfortable and if you are planningto wear them to a show like CII, they will be comfortable to walk in. The only drawback you might run into is that the average cowboy boot is too short for a traditional Jedi look. Are you planning to put leather over them, or something like that?

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Doright, where did you find these boots? If they are just a single pair at a thrift shop or a bargain pair at a shoe shop you better grab them before someone else does.

3. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    Ok, I've taken some time to consider my reply to the post from JediToren. Now maybe he was having a bad day, or such, but everytime I read that post, I still come away feeling...well, a little insulted. Now, I know JediToren is a great help to us all. Even I have recieved the "pm of knowledge" as I refer to it. And I have respected all the information in there, and have passed it on to no one. So I keep telling myself it wasnt meant the way it sounds.

But I would like to at least reply to a few things he said.

"We keep unlicesed replica info a secret because we don't want these guys to get screwed."
    Of course, to a degree I agree with you. But my reply to this is a comment you yourself made in the same post: "All it really takes is a quick search on eBay to find out anyway." If this is something he wanted kept "Secret" and not sold, then why place an auction on Ebay? As a matter of fact, when I did a search for "Jedi Boots" on ebay only 2 auctions came, both his.

"I doubt many here will bid on it." Thats fine with me, I have no stake in the sale. We were on the topic of boots. Your yourself in posted pictures of these same boots, and swear by them. Trust me, if I could have fit them, I wouldnt have told a soul. But I cant, so perhaps there is one person here, who originally thought $250 boots unattainable, and here they are for $50. At least I brought them to his/her attention.

"but in some of the more "professional" communities like the RPF..."
    Pardon me if I now come across 'tudy, but....so? I dont post there, or even read them, so why do I care what they do? I am doing this for fun, not to be considered a "professional costumer." Part of the fun is helping others have fun too. You'd better believe if I know someone who needs a pair of boots to complete their costume, and who might wear a size 11, that I am going to point them to that auction. Even if that auction triples in price, its still way cheaper then buying them direct. At least someone will get an awesome pair of boots for way less then normal.

"If you have such an attitude, keep it to yourself. It WILL find it's way to the prop replicators and after that will end your future as a prop/costume buyer." Like I said earlier about the "secret" aspect, I agree to a point. Dont worry, all the links and info you pm'd me will be safe. I respect that and have no qualms about it. But when you move from the realms of "secrecy" onto ebay...well so much for being "Secret." I would much rather work one on one with someone then thru an auction, believe me. In that way it is kept secret. But like you said, "All it really takes is a quick search on eBay to find out anyway," then it isnt very secret anymore is it? And because I dont consider an online, public auction secret, someone who sells thru other means wont sell to me? Fine, someone else will.

Now I could go on, but I feel myself starting to sound snippy. Thats the last thing mesa wantin. You were right JT, I was just trying to help. I also want to immediately apologize if you take this the wrong way. I dont mean to offend. You are a great help to many a young padawan, myself included. I see your point of view and will respect it. I hope you understand mine. We dont have to agree, but I dont want to dislike.

pcx

4. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    Do you think that a 10 in tall boot will work for a Jedi costume?

5. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    "I still come away feeling...well, a little insulted"
    I apologize for that. I never intended to insult you or anyone else.

In regards to the rules of the RPF:
    "I dont post there, or even read them, so why do I care what they do?"
    The RPF's rules are just a detailed explanation of an unwritten rule followed throughout the ENTIRE replica props community: You always ask the seller regardless of what they are selling or how they are selling it.
    It doesn't matter which forum your at or whether or not that forum has it's own rule listing (most don't), this rule is almost always followed and it rarely needs explaining.
    These guys are taking a huge risk and devote their spare time to these projects, and we get some really nice stuff because of it. These people are doing this as a labour of love and are lucky of they break even. We should be polite and honour the small requests that they make.
    Half the problem is that most people here are newbies to costuming and simply don't know any better, and I shouldn't fault people for that. This is why I finally decided to start working on a FAQ for this forum:
    Official TFN Costuming and Props Forum FAQ Thread. Feel free to contribute to it.

"If this is something he wanted kept "Secret" and not sold, then why place an auction on Ebay?"
    You may think it's bizarre for someone to post on eBay and expect it to stay a secret, and I certainly agree with you. But this is a hot issue for prop replicators and all that matters is what THEY think. You are certainly welcome to disagree with them, but those who don't play by their rules are likely to end up on a replica props blacklist.

"You yourself posted pictures of these same boots, and swore by them"
    There is a big difference between what I did and posting links to unlicesned stuff. Not only did I ask the permission of the dealer who made my boots, I only posted the pics, the price, and the fact that they were made in Thailand. The details stay as a Private Message.

"We dont have to agree, but I dont want to dislike."
    Don't worry. Just because we hold opposing viewpoints doesn't make us enemies. I may get very passionate about this and other subjects but I don't think any less of those who disagree with me. None of my posts have ever been intended to flame, insult, belittle or otherwise put down other people.

6. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    Good enough for me JT. Its in da past. And I will try to keep my super bargain finds in pm land from now on. :D

And I do want to thank you again for the "pm of knowledge" (go ahead, you can use that one). It has been an invaluable resource to me. Do you look for input on it? Some of the links appear to be dead.....

7. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    I like the sound of that.

THE PM OF KNOWLEDGE!

8. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Argarathoo: If you're going for the standard Jedi look, you will want boots that come up to just below the knee. But if you're creating your own look, anything goes. I wore 10" boots with one of my first Jedi costumes, and they looked fine.

-ObiWill

9. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    I just am having trouble finding a pair that goes up no my knee with my calf size. My calfs are 22" around at the widest point so I just got those GI combat boots and modified them with some leather straps and a flap to hide the laces.

10. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Do-Right - I have black Justin ropers that I bought at a local boot shop for my Amidala Battle Dress costume. I love them, they are very comfy, but like everyone has been saying, they are really short only, mid calf height. Because my pants are black and so are the boots, it's not really noticeable, but for a Jedi costume, they would stand out if your pants don't match.

Regards,
    M.

11. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Argarathoo: Find a pair of knee-high boots and take them to a shoe repairman. It might be possible for them to cut a "V" down the back and sew in an elastic patch... this is exactly what a local shoe repair shop offered to do for my boots. It's a rather expensive alternative to boot stretching (he wanted $40), but you might want to consider it. Good Luck!

ObiWill

P.S. I opted for stretching instead... three days on the boot stretcher made them fit comfortably.

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Ooo, ooo, ooo!! Love this thread!! Love Toren's boots (still)!! Love love love!! Heh heh... Mrs. M, do you mind if I post the boot info you put up over in the Phoenix FF board? We have a little SW costume compilation thread there. :)

Thankees much!
    kreleia ^.^

13. PunkJr

PunkJr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Here is a good photo of Anakin's boots.

Nice design if you ask me...

[image=http://www.operationsombrero.com/headlines/2002/mar/episode2/newpics/20.jpg]

14. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Nice. They remind me of Vader's boots.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Kreleia, go right ahead! I'm only glad to be of some help! Being a newbie on the whole SW subject, I usually feel pretty useless around here! haha But when I saw a topic that actually brushed my personal area of expertise(horses/riding/etc.) I was only glad to be able to help out! [face_clown]

16. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    [image=http://home.attbi.com/~jedi-valens/costume2.jpg]

my costume!

17. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Oooooh, that pic of Anakin just screams "Vader" to me. :) That, and Hayden Christensen... **drool**

Thanks Mrs. M.!! Gonna go post it right now! :)

HEY!! Valens, Finney, Valens, Finney... what up with you guys? **laugh** Either one of you sneaked into the other's yard and took pics, or you know each other. Or else you both have the same "Forget the Dog, Beware of Owner" sign in your window (and identical houses). I would assume friends/acquaintances is correct...?

kreleia ^.^

18. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    JediToren I found them at a Feet-farm. I did pick them up. I have them in my possession. I will try and get a picture of them on line. I am at work now and we have been busy the last couple of days.

Yes they only come up to my calf but I kind of like that. For one thing I have kind of big calves. Tall boots are very uncomfortable to me. For boots like this I usually have to get a larger size than my foot size just so blood still flows past my calves. The shorter boot will be more comfortable to me.

19. jedivalens

Apr 2, 2001
    yeah i think we're the only star wars freaks where we live

20. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I just noticed the typo in my previous post.. That was a FLEET FARM not A feet farm. [face_blush] I guess this thread has me thinking feet.

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, feet farm, boot help... we all just figured you knew about something that we didn't. [face_laugh]

22. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    Being that I am an avid equestrian also, I have a pair of boots very similar to the Concord boots mentioned in Mrs_MayimNaar's post. They are really very good boots. They are warm in the winter, cool in the summer (it gets to the 90s and 100s in Georgia so I should know!), and they are priced just right. Since I am only a teenager, it's hard for me to buy all that fancy stuff, so I'm just going to wear my boots like they are. I did it a few years ago for Halloween and they looked just fine. So it you aren't rich, like most of us here, I'd say that's one of your best bets.

23. jedivalens

Apr 2, 2001
    for all of you female jedi out there im selling some boots on ebay that might make some good boots for your costume.

click here
    if you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me

24. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Hey ya'll, I just bought some boots from Ebay that did not look like the picture. :_| Like a moron I took the picture at face value and didn't ask what color they were. What color do these look like to you all?

[image=http://thedasofamily.com/germanboots.jpeg/image.gif]

I will be selling these, so after I reveal the 'true' color i'll offer them here at a discount before I re-ebay them.

25. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Sorry about the bum link, hopefully this one works.

[image=http://thedasofamily.com/germanboots.jpeg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.