main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boot help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ithorian, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Hmm.. they look brown to me. What color were they supposed to be? You could try some nu-life spray to get them to the color you want.

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Responding to several posts:

The half chaps idea from Mrs_MayimNaar is a good one. I went to site and found more. I think I like the Mountain Horse Chaps/Leggings. However, they're about $80.

The photo of Anakin's boots looks like they might actually have that sort of half chap.

The boots I use for my Ep I style Jedi garb are new waterproof leather boots I got a couple years ago on sale from Lands End on-line outlet. No longer available there, but I'd seen them twice so one could keep a watch. I think they were $100 boots I got for about $50. They are plain riding boot style.

However, they are black and rather plain. I'm on the lookout for brown boots cheap (Target, Kmart, on sale) so that I can add straps and details to them a la some tutorials I've found.

Jedivalens: very nice garb. Nice to see you have "all the parts": undertunic, overtunic, tabbards, sash, belt. Great details!

3. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Boots for women at Chadwicks. Four shades of brown. $19.99 in both medium and wide

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/product/product.asp?pf_id=9539&dept_id=472&parent_id=55&
    Unfortunately, the 7-8 range in two darker shades of brown are out of stock.

The riding boots are cool and $69. I actually bought them and sent them back as they were too narrow.
    http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/product/product.asp?pf_id=25090&dept_id=472&parent_id=55&

4. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I thought they were brown, too Jedi_Riibu, but alas, they are black. No good when you are a 'brown Jedi'.

I have asked like 50 people, 47 say brown, 2 say black, and 1 says maybe green?!? :eek:

Would I have to strip them down to use the nu-life spray? I guess if i did that I could just do leather dye too, huh? ?[face_plain]

Oh well, thanx for the help.

If anyone wants some BLACK size eleven russian boots for 45 shipped, let me know. My ebay id is jarik33 too, so you can check me out, or I may just put up an auction.

5. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    thanks Jedi_Kai!

Where could i find that Nu-life spray? I ordered some cadett boots from Gran Prix but i need some of that spray. Is there a website where i could order it from?

6. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    The Russian marching boots make excellent Jedi boots. I love mine, they're quite comfortable and take a nice shine.

7. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Up

OK, I was boot shopping today. I have a custom Jedi costume, so I didn't need to look for a specific brand or style. Just wanted a black, riding-style boot.

I saw the Cadett boots. They really looked and felt like a rubber boot. Not even remotely leather-like for a synthetic boot.

I discussed options with the store owner on how to give the rubber more of a shine, she suggested a treatment similar to silicone that gaves a hard lasting shine to shoes and boots.

Still I wasn't happy with they way they felt on my feet, and the calf was a bit tight. I could see the tight calves and loose ankles would be uncomfortable for an real length of wearing time.

I then tried another pair of boots, these one fit very nicely. Found a OK-ish picture:

[image=http://www.riderscrossing.com/images/mhrimwoman.jpg]

Its by a company called Mountain Horse, and its their Rimrock style.

It too is a synthetic, but it looks more leather-like, the back flap with the diamond is a velcro flap, which makes it easy to adjust the fit of the boot, and a lot easier to pull off.

Problem 1. Its a winter boot. I don't mind that too too much. As a matter of fact, the padding is what made the boot feel so comfortable. I just wonder how hot my feet will get though.

Problem 2. The main part of the "shoe" is rubber. What can I use to treat the rubber part of the boot to give it a more shiny leather-like appearance?

I have silcone already I could try that. Black shoe polish will probably just rub off and mark up everything it touches, so thats not a good idea, unless there is a technique to use when applying the polish. I will use a bit of black polish to cover the diamond on the back and the metal triangle tag on the side anyways.

Or should I just leave it?

Suggestions from the gallery will be very much appreciated, I'm going to buy the boots on Thursday.

8. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    A new thought...

How about Armor All? They have an extra shiny version even.

I wouldn't use it on the soles of course, that would be too slippery, but the rest of the boot should be OK to use it on.

The only thing is the top portion of the boot, its a polyurethane type of rubber. Has anyone had any experience using Armor All on that material??

Still hunting for ideas.

9. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Never mind....

I decided against those boots, went with a pair of Agile Konik riding boots.

They too are rubber, but shinier, and looks more like a smooth leather. They were also on sale and cheaper than the above pair. Also a simpler, more traditional look than the above pair.

10. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Help!!! I went to order my boots on line at chadwicks and they are out of the size and color I need.
    does anyone have any other links to some places I can find a inexpensive pair of boots for my jedi costume?
    I have been scouring the city and only find black boots I would prefer brown........anyhow, any help would be great!
    Thanx
    Strawbary

11. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Are these boots ok for my jedi outfit?
    jedi boots?
    I really like the riding boots but not for 69.00 right now I have a few pair to buy for a few jedi here so this pic fits my budget... let me know what you guys think so I can order them!
    Thanks!
    Strawbary

12. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    where could i find some of that Nu-Life spray?

13. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    strawbary, I wouldn't go so much by what we say in your decisions to buy something. Do you like the boots? Can you afford them? Since each Jedi?s costume is unique, having different boots than what a character wears in the movie isn?t that big a deal. My opinion about the boots is that they look fine.

14. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    ;) thanks for the advise, yes its true its all what you like and can afford.... ;)

I really like the riding boots for 69.00 but the 24.00 ones will suit my needs for the convention seeing as how I dont have ANY right now.

Down the road when funds permit I will invest in the nicer pair.

Thanks for the wise advise........I am new to this costume thing and maybe am too worried about wearing the wrong thing... ;)
    Thanks!

Strawbary

15. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah those are great. My mom bought a set of those for herself years ago and I remember wishing that Chadwicks would make them for men as well.

You might consider adding the leather straps and leather belt loops as suggested by Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy.

16. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks Jedi Toren for the tip on the straps. I will have to look into that. I hope that when I doctor them up I dont screw them up too badly.. ;)

My costume is just about done, need an adjustment here and there.....when the boots are finished I will post a pic.....
    (just nobody laugh ;) )

cant wait for C2 !!!!!!!

Strawbary

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    are there any other good boot tutorials other than the one on jediacademy.com? i recall another one that was very detailed and had lots of pictures.

i think what i'm going to end up doing is ordering these german officer parade boots and adding pleather spats to them.

[image=http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos9/EG-PARADE-BOOTS.jpg]
    not bad eh?

thoughts?

18. CRIMSONGUARDS4ME

CRIMSONGUARDS4ME Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2002
    Trident military has really NICE boots. We are going as imperial officers, if I can get our boots!!!! The East german officer boots are really cool. Grand Prix has PVC black knee high riding boots, but they are out of stock, or so they say. So, I am still waiting on all these boot people to call or e-mail me with a 'yes, there in stock now!!!' I live 3 hours north of Ocala Florida which is big time horse country. All the shops there are out of black knee high boots!!!!!

19. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    IT'S NOT FAIR!

all the links that ar posted are for american stores, and i live in england!

you say 'these boots are great', and i think 'yes, they are great', and then i realise i can't buy them and it's just so unfair!

20. jedimindstate

jedimindstate Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    West Coast Leather Factory has some cool boots. They have a Star Wars page. The Obi-Wan boots are probably the best you'll find. They also have Anakin boots. They don't look like anything I've seen on Hayden but look like they would work just fine with the rest of the costume. I think that they had Adi Gallia boots too but that all as far as Jedi.
    They are all around $250 if you have the $$$
    Another option is check out stompersboots.com
    and go to the motocross boots section. Both styles look like they would work well.I like the Rally boot better. The other is the moto-cruiser. These boots were around $200 too if I recall correctly. Those are the only mentionable options I have encountered although they are far from affordable. Something isn't right when to be a stylish Jedi you have to spend just as much on your boots as your lightsaber.

21. jedimindstate

jedimindstate Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    Just was just on eBay and West Coast Leather Factory has a dutch auction now for the Obi-Wan Jedi boots for 500 pairs. No bids yet. Price starts at $199.99 Thats $50 cheaper then on their site. I think it was a three day auction.

22. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    So I just got done scouring the ebay and the internet for WEEKS trying to find boots for my jedi, sith and bounty hunter costumes. I have called all the places in my town, as well, and I finally purchased 3 different pairs online, none of them quite what I want, so I will be dyeing and modifying once they get here.

So imagine the look on my face when a friend of mine (who had no idea of me wanting boots) tells me that he is about to go to Virginia to pick up 1000 pairs of leather Equestrian Riding Boots. He is starting his own company selling them online. I flipped out! I informed him of my costuming needs (as well as the needs of a couple of my friends) and he was confident that prior to May 16th, he would be the boot hookup.

I don't know any other details than that, but he will contact me as soon as he knows more. Hopefully, the sizes, prices and colors will be comparable to what I've seen for the East German boots, or the Vinyl Riding Boots online.

When I know more, I will post it.

23. tennispadme

tennispadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    What about boots for Padme's white jumpsuit?

24. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What's the cost looking like, Talon?

M. Scott

25. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    No clue yet. I am hoping that the variety is good, and the cost is good. I told him that the vinyl boots online cost around $30, and that if he keeps his prices as low as possible, he would have costumers interested.

Hopefully this pans out well! As soon as I have any further details, I will post them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.