main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOOTS

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by haruwindsong, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Just so we can get off the 'Sabre' kick, here's something I always get asked about.

Boots. Mark's boots in ROTJ were riding boots, leather, EXTREMELY expensive. If you don't have the finances to 'throw away', try using the less expensive rubber riding boots. With Scholls insoles they're pretty comfortable and durable. Oh, and if your calves are too thick --- take them to a good cobbler and have him insert a gussett to expand the leg. And don't take 'it's not possible' for an answer. If he's a good cobbler, it can be done. I've had mine expanded because swimming has expanded my calves to 17.5 inches!

EMPIRE boots - those wonderful 'Dagobah aka Rebel issue' boots can be made quite simply. Take one pair of deck shoes (once called tennis sneakers). Remove the tongue and laces. Next, get a couple of metres of khaki cotton Gabardine. Design spats to fit over the top of the sneaker and up the legs (this is generally four pieces: arch left-to-arch right around the toe, arch left-to-arch right around the heel and overlap toe piece. Stitch together, ensuring you mark which one goes over the left shoe and which is for the right (very important later on). Design and stitch the boot tongue: this goes right from the toe of the shoe, up the front of the leg. Attach it to the lower spat as far as the highest point of your arch. Now, using double thickness fabric, design the upper leg piece. For stiffening, use the thin sheet styro-foam found in electronic equipment shipping boxes. Attach to the lower spat and the tongue. At this point you have the option for either attaching the tongue all the way up to the top of only attaching it as far as the front of your ankle. Measure your strapping, attach them to the uppers and sew on velcro. And --- voila! One pair of Rebel issue boots. Very comfy. They wear well and, best of all, they're washable.

You can use the same technique with 'plethor' to fashion the Obi-wan or Qui-Gon boots from MENACE, and even the DV boots and greaves.

2. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Any one know how to make ani ep.III boots, I was tinking of taking a pair of cow boy boots and modifing them alot!!

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Hello! We're glad you decided to join our forum! Hope you learn much and share your knowledge!

For the future, we have a FAQ and thread indexed linked as the first thread of the page. It is located here. There's a directory of threads in there that you can look through.

In regards to threads, we try to consolidate knowlege in as few threads as possible. You might think of reposting this information in one of the existing threads about boots:

The Complete Jedi Costume Guide
    Where Can I Get A Good Pair of Jedi Boots Cheap?
    I Need Boots!

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Nice tip on the Empire boots as I will be making some for myself in the near future.

5. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    I honestly don't think cowboy boots are the route you should be taking. Ordinary summer-weight boots from the Thrift Store or 'Sally Anne', with spats would be best and the least expensive. And you can always work up test spats with ordinary fabric, making sure it's relatively heavy weight. Once you've got your pattern you can switch to plethor (fake leather). There are good fake leathers and those which are more or less light weight vinyl (stay away from the vinyl, it's got no give to it). And you don't need to attach the spats to the boots if you don't want to. On the original Qui-Gon boots the spats were separate.

6. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    ^Ya but these cowboy boots look alot like ani's ep.III one's, I'm using vinyl on my ep.III glove, and danakin's is vinyl too.

-Unless you are talking about using vinyl on boots...

7. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    and danakin's is vinyl too

The only thing that is vinyl on my costume are the tabbards...

8. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah...Danakin's boots and belt are all leather.

9. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Don't forget the glove too. ;)

10. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    woops, I was thinking of another guy who used vinyl on another site, but his results were still amazing!!

11. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    stay away from the vinyl, it's got no give to it

what do you mean by that, and would the same thing apply when I make the glove??

12. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Was referring to the boots.

13. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Most vinyls have very little life to them. They dry out and crack in short order. Plethor, on the other hand can be conditioned like leather to keep it supple. Vinyl gloves? Are you talking about the pieces going up the arms? Haven't seen Ani's boots. I'm staying away from anything to do with Episode III because I prefer to go at it fresh. I was extremely disappointed with II because some --- pardon the expression --- nimnol at NorWesCon gave away the plot. And I mean the ENTIRE plot! Idiot!

14. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    This vinyl won't dry out, it's the good sewing kind, and if it did by some long shot I'd bring it back, and demand a different one.

15. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Anakins boots in Ep3 are the same as Ep2 ;) Hope thats not spoiler :)

I agree though. Cowboy boots are wrong,

16. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Thank you. Not all men's boots are cowboy boots. Try the short dress boots style if you must use boots. Personally I still think shoes with spats work best. Your decision, however.

17. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I'll look into that.

18. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Silly me, I just realised something. You've been talking bout a supple vinyl. I think you may actually be referring to what is generally called 'plethor' by people who work with leather. It's a simulated leather of the sort used to make winter boots.

19. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    ^An honest mistake.^

20. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    In case you're trying to google it, it's spelled pleather. And pleather is a type of vinyl, although not all vinyl is pleather, like a car is a ford but not all fords are cars. Check around to be sure you're getting what you're asking for.

21. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    like a car is a ford but not all fords are cars

Erm...I think you got that backwards. A Ford is a car but not all cars are Fords.

22. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Well it works either way...some fords are vans, trucks, SUV's etc :)

23. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    no, because the "a car is a ford" statement is false. Some cars are fords, but "a car is a ford" means all cars are fords which is false.

P.S. by car I mean in the generic sense, as in a vehicle.

24. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.