main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Bor Gullet the mind reading octopus

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Edrio Two Tubes, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Me too. The key is a strained exhalation. If I had the means to make a stop-motion short, I would recreate Saw's hideout with Bor Gullet and the partisans singing and dancing to this tune, changing the judge's name to Bor Gullet, and changing Paris to Jedha.
    Or this track could be used with edited footage from the Bor Gullet scene.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Only his point wasn't very specific. He says "one tends to lose ones mind..."

And since Bodhi was telling the truth to begin with, perhaps we was spared a lot of anguish? Not to mention that Cassian seems to use a learned trick to snap him out of it: remind him of his identity, in simple terms.

oncafar and Siphonophore like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, the effect of the Bor Gullet seems to be that it leaves one's mind in disarray, and the way to counter this is to find a "point of light" to find one's way back.

Force Smuggler and oncafar like this.
  4. JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS

JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2002

Fair enough - it's delivered quite dramatically though, enough to make most people think 'ahh, so this guy is gonna lose his mind'. I'm with you on your first two pints there though, fair enough.

I wouldn't call what Cassian did 'a learned trick' however - he simply saw a prisoner in an Imperial uniform and so began asking if he was "the pilot". It might of helped spur Bodhi's mind back into action sure, but Cassian doesn't know Bodhi has experienced Bor Gullet.

5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, Saw was dramatic about everything. :) Clearly, he had lost his mind a bit. He was paranoid and unreliable.

As for Cassian, I think, as a spy, it's likely he knew about Bor Gullet and had a sense of what had happened to Bodhi. The way he methodically repeats "Galen" and "pilot" strongly suggested to me that he knew what he was doing.

6. The 3rd Eye Jedi

The 3rd Eye Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2017
    I got to be honest Bor Gullet really made me enjoy Rogue One. Gave me the feelings,seeing it, that the original trilogy gave me the first time I got to see it as a child. It wouldn't be surprising if the truth serum used in the Imperial interrogation droid seen in Episode IV, when Vader tells Leia they have other ways of making her talk, maybe genetically made from Bor Gullet or his genetic code similar to the clone troopers of Kamino being cloned by the emperor for troops. There is the gap of two films where the emperor's minions of the Sith could have collected Rancor, Kryat Dragon, Wampa, & other dangerous creatures from the multitude of galaxies. Plenty of time to have captured at least one Bor Gullet for further experimentation in the future. If it has the abilities that it is said to have then it would most likely be very unmanageable for imperial troops in the confines of a star ship or space station like structure (i.e. What happens on Solo's new ship in Episode 7 when the Rathtars escape). I don't feel the galactic empire would allow something like that to be able to use it's abilities on it's own troops in order to escape containment or if containment systems malfunctioned. There was the Dianoga in the garbage compactor of the first death star but it seemed like it was either a pest stowaway or possibly used to eat organic matter that was scrapped, perhaps emit acid secretions to help break down certain metals and alloys. Most likely the active psychoactive ingredient in Bor Gullet would have been extracted for darker more potent forms of recovering truth from the enemies. Agreeing with Lt. Hija i feel that the empire would much rather a technological and portable truth serum that could be placed inside a hovering basketball sized droid vs having to taze and contain a Bor Gullet or their mutant clone offspring.

Thanks to all of you I just committed to your community, Been force sensitive for over 20 years now. Test my knowledge.

Siphonophore, Gigoran Monk and Sarge like this.
  7. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    ..Strange, is all

A most, unique, life form

8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I really don't get why people dislike the part. It was short & brief. What like a minute 45? It wasn't like TPM where we had Binks, pod racer aliens & the two headed announcer for 1/2 the film.

Darth__Lobot, Avnar and GregMcP like this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I needed to see the squid squidge out of the front door when everyone was running away. They just left him there. Alone. Full of everyone else's emotions. Snif.

Darth Basin, Sarge and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    No worries; on top of their mind-reading skills, Bor Gullet's people have mastered the art of mental teleportation. He moved to Tatooine and is spending some quality time with his cousin, the almighty Sarlacc.

Jester J Binks and Darth Basin like this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Here's a question that recently occurred to me. Saw makes this big point that Bor Gullet can sniff out any lie and get to the real truth about anything no matter what. But then, how exactly does Saw get that information relayed to him from Bor? Do Saw and Bor have their own alone time together where Bor imparts that knowledge to him? I assume Bor can't speak. And what use is Bor to Saw if there isn't any other means of transmitting the information? So there has to be some kind of interaction between Saw and Bor in which this occurs. Any ideas on what that interaction could possibly be?

Also, how did Saw acquire Bor Gullet in the first place?

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe Bor Gullet enters his results on a computer, like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe Bor eats liars.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Bor.. Gullet.. Will know the truth..

15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I asked this earlier .. so .. how is Bor Gullet invading someone's mind telepathically against their will, to access their thoughts and causing terrible pain in the process that much different from Kylo Ren invading someone's mind telepathically against their will, to access their thoughts and causing terrible pain in the process?

(long story short - is Bor Gullet somehow using the same Force powers that Kylo is/has)?

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    One does not question Bor Gullet. He will know the truth. That is all.

17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The "One tends to lose their mind" I took as something Saw said to frighten Bodhi to tell the truth...and quick! Otherwise...

So when Cassian "Snaps him out of it" it's actually Bodhi realising he is fine... Up until that point (as far as we know) he was by himself left to his own thoughts. Imagine someone telling you you may lose your mind after a procedure and then not feeling any different! It would play up to all your anxieties.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Bor Gullet... will know da chroof.

20. james92rogers

james92rogers Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015

This whole scene bothers me, mainly because if you removed it the entire film would still make sense. If Saw captured Bodhi and just threw him in the cell it would have the same effect.

Saw still didn't believe Bodhi and was dubious about Rey arriving.
    Bodhi didn't lose his mind.

It just seems like a bit of a waste of time, also this was some of Forest's weaker scenes so that didn't help

Count Yubnub and Sarge like this.
  21. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I didn't not like Bor Gullet, I just found the whole thing a little unnecessary. Still a cool design (if you can call a weird tentacle blob thing a design)

22. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, if Rey had arrived Saw would have really been on edge as that would have pretty much offset the whole universe. But whatever, he's got Bor Gullet to know the truth.

23. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    I felt the same way. I didn't hate Bor Gullet, but didn't see the point in having it (him? her? o_O ) in the movie.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I just imagine Bor Gullet in a Lounge, sipping a martini and singing old Sinatra hits.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017

Maybe, he reacts differently to liars. Like a polygraph machine.