main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

bored? click here

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Thesabresmith, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesabresmith

Thesabresmith Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2001
    Hi, i haven't been around in a while but i used to come here alot. i have been making my fan film for about 4 years now and am still not near to completing it...

But i turned 25 on August 21st and my wife gave me a wonderful present of a website for my film production company. Now i am able to host my first fx test, and i wanted to share it with anyone interested.

Feel free to watch it and reply here, pm or e-mail me your comments. i know it has problems and the rotoscoping has less than perfect... but please be gentle.

www.lostgotham.net

Regards,

Barry Michael,
    Thesabresmith

2. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Is the link in your sig Barry?

EDIT: Haha! I'm leaving this here to point out that YOU FORGOT TO ADD THE WEBSITE!!! 8-}

Sage H.

3. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    hmm...I can't seem to play the file.

In Media Player I get a corrupt screen after the "Lost Gotham" Logo and in DivX Player I get black after the logo.

sounds works throughout though.

any help?

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

4. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    it reminds me of the lightsaber kid :p. But the rotoscoping is pretty good, the moves aren't that bad, but it seems to be going on pretty long. In general, I like it.

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Looks good, the only point I would make would be make sure the saber fans out a bit more, most of the time it looked like a stick saber it needs to have a lot more fan on it.

6. Thesabresmith

Aug 31, 2001
    Well thank you for those people who replied...

yes i forgot the link, i remembered right as i hit the button. sigh... i was very tired at that point and was concentrating on makeing sense.

As for the video not playing... it does for some and not for others... i am going to work on a QT version and i'll put that up too. i prefer DIVX and dont often have problems with it... but oh well.

As for the choregraphy and length... i just shot my friend "playing around". my origional idea was to have it be like a Kata, each difernt shot would follow the last... but half way through i decided to choose what music i wanted over it and like the 5th element music so that dictated the length, i edited to it and the idea to break it up into random shots came just after that to make it seem longer but cut down like it was more like freeform shadow sparing rather then a practiced form.

i do not like all of the shots in there, i had to replace one near the end quickly because i played with the settings on my camera (sony vx-2000) and shot in both progressive scan and non. this also accounts for the look of the rotoscoping, i changed a setting on the camera which i only noticed when i began rotoscoping what the full effect was. this started out as just something to edit and practice rotoscoping on which is why i was playing with the camera, but now i know and it will help my final film look better, not making the same mistake.

Thanks again for the input guys, keep it coming. i will be working on the site and another compression over the weekend so anyone who didn't have any luck before please try again in a couple of days.

Regards,

Thesabresmith

7. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    Well that was okay but, the major setback was that your camera's shutter speed was WAY too high dude. Because of this your saber has no fanning.

8. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    No offence, but after 4 years of filmmaking, this is all you have to show for it?

9. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<No offence, but after 4 years of filmmaking, this is all you have to show for it? >>

All he has ONLINE to show for it - don't be so rude!

anyway,

Nick "Think things through before you insult somone" Long

10. Jeremy_West

Jeremy_West Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2003
    That was pretty cool- I LOVE the 5th Element, and that music was really sweet. For some reason I was almost in a trance watching that. It was hypnotic in a way- I dig it.

My son said the music was "awesome" :)

Well, besides the fanning issue, it was a cool little test.

11. Thesabresmith

Aug 31, 2001
    Hehe, well thanks again for the new "reviews" and special thanks to nick for coming to my defence.

Making a film for 4 years is a long time, but not the longest i have ever heard of. I have had MANY set back including having to start again from scratch twice because of emigrating to the US and then loosing SEVERAL main cast members. So you may not have meant offence by your comment, it may just have come out wrong, i dont know, but please be more careful in future.

This fx test is just an effects test filmed in ten minutes one afternoon before i left for a job (I work away from home and have done for over a year now, which is one of the biggest things slowing me down). So please just try and enjoy it for what it is, i have already said that i had been playing with the camera settings... sigh... anyway, more posative or at least constructive feedback welcome!

12. Thesabresmith

Aug 31, 2001
    ahem ::bump::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.