main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bored to tears with the HUMONGOUS NJO series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Klar, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Klar

Jedi_Klar Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2002
    I've read the first 10 books and I think I may be done. I'm just bored our of my skull.

Honestly, you could mix the following ingredients and make any one of those novels:
    - Battle in space.
    - Flying around in space.
    - Vong doing something ugly and just generally acting predictably nasty.
    - "Holier than thou" counseling between the Jr. Jedi.
    - A desperate situation with "...just one solution that might work". LOL!
    - Two overbearing wives in the form of Mara and Leia.

Maybe I just need a break, but I'm done for a while. This just got too grossly tedious.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I thought that the first 6 books were good. After that.... nope.

3. Jedi_Klar

Jedi_Klar Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2002
    Is War And Peace as long as the NJO series?

Is ANYTHING as long as the NJO series? (excluding the Encylopedia Brittanica)

4. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The NJO is awesome. Esp. Star by Star, Dark Tide, the Keyes books, and the Unifying Force.

5. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Is ANYTHING as long as the NJO series? (excluding the Encylopedia Brittanica)

The Memoirs of Cassanova is longer. Also, I saw the complete set of "1001 Nights" and that was like more then 20 volumes. And I think Pliny's Natural History takes up 38 volumes.

6. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that Wheel of Time is longer (not in terms of volumes, obviously, but for overall text length. And it still hasn't finished.)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If you've read the first 10 books, that would put you at just before the Enemy Lines Duology, which you might actually enjoy as it's by Allstopn and thus a bit lighter in tone.

8. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    I wouldn't advise trying to read the whole series from start to finish in one go, anyway. You need to diversify, man! Just keep the series on the backbench, and come back to it every now and then...
    (Though I'm sure there are pleny out there who've read to entire series in one go... ;) )

9. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Though I'm sure there are pleny out there who've read to entire series in one go

That would be me. Reread the entire NJO over a month or two. Though I did take a break when I bought Shatterpoint to reread that. That was a lot of dark reading.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, I'm early on in NJO, but I'm planing on going between NJO and other books. Every one or two books I'll go back and read a NJO, plus it also allows me to read some CW stuff, insted of just NJO.

11. PunishingOne

PunishingOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    I read the books as they came out. I didn't start reading the NJO until Vector Prime came out in paperback. I read Destiny's Way and The Unifying Force in hardcover form but bought the respective paperbacks for my collection (Except TUF b/c it hasn't been released yet). I looked forward to everyone of those books and it didn't take me long to read through each one. I also read other types of books in between the release dates of the SW books.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    For the record, here's about how I think of NJO:

Vector Prime - 7
    Onslaught - 6
    Ruin - 4
    Hero's Trial - 7
    Jedi Eclipse - 5
    Balance Point - 6
    Conquest - 8.5
    Rebirth - 5.5
    Star by Star - 9
    Dark Journey - 5
    Enemy Lines 1 - 8
    Enemy Lines 2 - 7
    Traitor - 10
    Destiny's Way - 8
    Remnant - 5
    Refugee - 3
    Reunion - 5
    The Final Prophecy - 7.5
    The Unifying Force - 8.5

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think for most of us who read the NJO as it came out, it had a lot less potential to bore us since we have to wait two months or so in between books.

In my opinion, the NJO should have only been a 6-8 book series. 19 was just way too many.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Keep reading. You've got the best books coming up: Traitor, The Final Prophecy and the magnificent The Unifying Force.

15. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I've read the first 10 books and I think I may be done. I'm just bored our of my skull.

I never read the one ofter Ruin of the next few, nor Conquest. I say, read the hardcovers. Those are tedious enough.

Honestly, you could mix the following ingredients and make any one of those novels:
    - Battle in space.

Yeah. like the red shirt, it's neccessary in every single book, though Traitor was the best of them, and didn't. Traitor is the best of the books. IMO BP was the worst. It was largely directionless, except for posturing, and Luke and Mara slavering all over each other every three hours.

- Flying around in space.

Yeah. This is a galactic story. You'd think that was one of the givens.

- Vong doing something ugly and just generally acting predictably nasty.

And calling people names.

- "Holier than thou" counseling between the Jr. Jedi.

LOL! I can just see Yoda holding his head in his hands int he spirit world. I wonder if part of Anakin Skywalker's punishment isn't to get a whack on the back of the head with Yoda's cane every time his progeny says something stupid, facetious, or assumptive? Along with a look from Yoda that says, "thanks to you ______ is the result!"

- A desperate situation with "...just one solution that might work". LOL!

I know, like Mara remembereing the code to a flipping door from 30 years earlier. On the whole planet, which was unrecognizable! Do we all know every part of earth and every door combination. So statiscally impossible, you'd have a better chance of being quashed by MARS. It was the stupidest thing ever. I thought Winter had the perfect recall thing covered? I thought it was so dumb. But the whole Nyax thing was pointless and stupid.

- Two overbearing wives in the form of Mara and Leia.

Mara's such a biotch in the series, she makes Leia look like Donn Mills.

Maybe I just need a break, but I'm done for a while. This just got too grossly tedious.

It gets worse, way worse, before it gets better. Better yet, read the summaries and then TUF.

16. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I know, like Mara remembereing the code to a flipping door from 30 years earlier. On the whole planet, which was unrecognizable! Do we all know every part of earth and every door combination. So statiscally impossible, you'd have a better chance of being quashed by MARS. It was the stupidest thing ever. I thought Winter had the perfect recall thing covered?

More Mara bashing. It was a standard back door. There were probably dozens of them scattered everywhere and being the Emperor's only real hand (save his 2 literal lightning spouting hands) she knew his back door codes. Really not surprising that she would remember things from her hand days.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    She knew every door code onthe planet? No way. The human brain simply doesn't have the capacity. Unless Mara is a clone of some kind.

And the Emperor's only real hand was Vader. His apprentice.

18. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    She knew every door code onthe planet? No way. The human brain simply doesn't have the capacity. Unless Mara is a clone of some kind.

No that was one of the Emperor's private ones or he had backdoor codes for all of the doors connected to the main system. Like the SD computer back door codes.

And the Emperor's only real hand was Vader. His apprentice.

He was the Sith apprentice and the Emperor's hammer. Did you look at that thread? It should on page 2 maybe 3.

19. JediBrain

JediBrain Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2004
    I read the first NJO book in January, and just got the last one done this week (though I did skip the Hero's Trial duology). I will say some were better than others, but for the most part, I couldn't put them down.

I think Star by Star was one of the best Star Wars novels ever. TUF was similarly excellent.

The next generation of heroes are now quite well set up, which, I think, was one of the primary missions of this very long series. I can't wait to see the story continue.

Brian

20. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I thought the second half was decent, but I hated the first half.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    More Mara bashing.

So it's okay to hate Kyp, but not Mara. Right.

Dana

22. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, Dana.

;)

I like Kyp BTW, at least he had a horrible life to make him sympathetic. Not like Mara, "Woe is me, I have to get a pedicure and 400 credit kelp treatment for my hair!" Jade.

23. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    So it's okay to hate Kyp, but not Mara. Right.

No. But there is a line between bashing and disliking. I dislike Kyp. I don't bash him. You can like him. Fine. I'll tell you why I dislike Kyp in the appropriate ares. I won't bash him each time he is mentioned.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    read the summaries and then TUF.

NJO, the abridged version. :)

25. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    T_F : IMO BP was the worst... Luke and Mara slavering all over each other every three hours. ...Mara's such a biotch in the series, .... Unless Mara is a clone of some kind. ...I like Kyp BTW, at least he had a horrible life to make him sympathetic. Not like Mara, "Woe is me, I have to get a pedicure and 400 credit kelp treatment for my hair!" Jade.

I think I see a pattern emerging, T_F. Is it possible that you do not like Mara!?!?! :eek: Say it is not so! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.