main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boredomstar Galactica

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bishop76, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    So, I watched part 1 of the new Battlestar Galactica and all I can really say is that I didn't hate it. Of course, I also damn near fell asleep watching it.

Okay, i'll reserve final judgement for tomorrow night after I've seen the whole thing, but early thoughts:

Pros:
    *The new Cylons look neat (the actual Cylons, not the hot chick - but no complaints there either)
    *The Bladerunner approach to the Cylons is neat ("Are you alive? Prove it.")
    *The visual effects are top notch (way to go Firefly team - btw, anyone else notice the Serenity flying by in the beginning of the show?)
    *XOs who aren't afraid to lose a few lives to save others (Needs of the many...)

Cons:
    *Everything I liked happened in the first 5 minutes more or less
    *Why, oh why must everyone have issues? Especially father issues? You can tell an old Trek writer was the scribe for this one. I always liked that Apollo and Adama got along. Worf and his father anyone? Riker and his father? Been there, done that.
    *Telling not showing is not always the best storytelling device. It would have been nice to see some of this destruction happening (outside of Baltar's house getting levelled).
    *Sex does not have to happen every 15 minutes to keep my interest in a show.

The big con:
    Pacing - this show almost put me in a coma. The original Galactica had the Cylons attacking within 10 minutes of the show starting - this one took about an hour to happen and we barely got to see it happen.

Also, how this Cylon chicky got the whole defense net down with Baltar's codes still boggles my mind. We get tons of boring backstory about Adama's old Viper fighter, but very little in things that matter - like how Number 6 got the defense net down.

Okay, just some random thoughts - I'd love to hear what everyone else thought about this.

Jeff

2. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Cylons nuke Caprica
    Baltar grabs cylon's ass
    Ultimate revenge!!!!!!!!

Seriously - I think I liked it more than you Jeff. I agree though, all the personal issues with a multitude of characters force them all to be rather 1 dimensional and predictable.

I also had hoped they would use the same basic soundtrack - perhaps modernized and "blackened up" a bit.

I have to say though - I was completely shocked by the end! Lets hope they don't take some lame-ass cheap way out of that one!

3. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Bob and I watched it also. In short, I think he liked it more than I did. After this initial viewing, I still have serious issues with this miniseries (some would say I came into this already tainted, but being open-minded was no help). A female Starbuck and a female Boomer?--it's still not working for me. Plus, I am thoroughly disgusted with the idea of any possible sexual tension between Starbuck and Apollo. Ewww!

Bob really liked the effects, and I agree they were absolutely fantastic. And I do like the fact that they added some grit to the world that is BG. But I still think the sets and costumes were way too Earth-bound. Not interested in costumes with ties and high heels--it doesn't feel anything like BG at all. Granted, they were not going to go back to the old styles and nor should they have, but I think an almost carbon copy of an Earth-bound future is a little ridiculous.

Edward James Olmos seems to be the only one cast correctly. The rest are just sort of there, spewing lines and trying too hard. Especially Baltar. He is nowhere near as fun and devilishly evil as the original. In short, they've taken all the characters and dumbed them down, all gender swapping aside. I wasn't touched by any of them. And I agree with you, Jeff--the predictable emotional baggage is completely unnecessary. I liked the fact that Apollo and Adama got along, too. But then again, this goofball playing Apollo couldn't act his way out of a paper bag anyway. And where are the others? Cassiopeia? Sheba? Athena (the cute sister of Apollo)? And this female Starbuck? Eek! Chomping on a cigar does not make you the female version of Dirk Benedict. She is humorless (humor being the facet of Starbuck that really made him who he was) and emotionally undisciplined. In short, it was like watching a 2-year-old play at battle. And why must the Greek names be considered only call signs? I always liked it that the Greek names were actually the characters' real names.

As for the Cylons, I have no problem with the update for the machines themselves (although did we have to have to old Cylon costume on display in the "museum"?--oh please!), but I have no need for one that looks human. She was boring and predictable (no offense, but I think she was definitely created to titillate the average fanboy). And you're right--there wasn't enough Cylon/human battle scenes and too much unnecessary extrapolation. I, too, liked the fact that it happened almost immediately in the original, compared to this hour-long wait.

I know this was not supposed to be a rehash of the old show, right down to the campy scenes and Breck girl hair, and I wouldn't want that. But this is too much. They didn't have to warp everything in this manner. It was boring and listless. I got up several times to do dishes while it was running because it was so clunky and boring. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, and it never did. I don't know if I will watch the second half tonight (I'll be out and about anyway, so I'll miss it regardless), but if I don't see it, I won't mind in the least. [face_plain]

4. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Nice, Dan - love the ultimate revenge line.

Beret, I can't find any flaws in what you wrote - I agree with every bit. I will probably watch it tonight, though just because I have a problem with needing closure and completion.

And Dan - I guarantee a lame conclusion to what you saw at the end of the episode - remember that plot device coil that Apollo pointed out when he first landed on that Colonial transport? Yeah, that's what got them out of it, but it had the side effect of mucking up the radar around the area or something like that. Don't ask me how it got them out of it, but I guarantee that's what did it. Mark it. (and no, I didn't read the script or anything like that)

Like I said, i don't hate it, but at this point, it doesn't even match up to any on-par sci-fi stuff for today. So, I'd have to give part 1 a D.

While the original BG was cheesy and light sci-fi fare, at least it had heart. This new BG needs a trip up the yellow brick road.

Jeff

5. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Okay, part two is done now and I'm ready to pass judgement.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Some of the things I wanted explained were explained (though I was disappointed in the cheesy way Apollo managed to fend off the Cylons from the part 1 cliffhanger) and they actually picked up the pace and held my interest with part two.

Pros:
    * The cylon attack is made more believable by dialogue in part 2. Not completely believable, but enough so that I'm at least satisfied.
    * The space battle was awesome and I loved the way the ships moved in combat. Sure, i miss the high-thrust Vipers of the 70s, but I'll take this any day.
    * They toned down the heavy drama a bit with some reconciliation between Adama and Apollo and even added some humor (Adama: "We've got to make babies"; Tigh: "Is that an order?")

Cons:
    * Bad acting. Not much to say about this really, but Apollo sucks hard.
    * The new Cylon Centurions seem to be nothing more than window dressing and I really am not *THAT* keen on the new "human" Cylons. I'd much rather see some more metal baddies.
    * Boomer is Imperious Leader? Please make this go away... I do like the paranoia that having a Cylon on BG created, but now that we know it's Boomer there's no paranoia - I just foresee some crappy character episodes where she tries to go against her nature as a Cylon. Oh, and being a main character I guarantee she'll succeed.
    * Adama doesn't really believe in Earth. I liked that he would try to sucker the people into thinking he knew where it was, but I don't like that he actually doesn't believe in it himself.

Okay, so overall I have to say it was fair. Still not good, but it was definitely better than I thought.

Final Score: C+

Jeff

6. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Well here are my thoughts also:

I did get to see it non- completed about 4 weekes ago...it still had a lot of kinks to be worked out...now I have seen the finished product....over all it was O.K.

But there was nothing we have not seen before, and there was certainly nothing in the character dept. The folks who brought us Trek continue to make very dull and lifless premieres. I to like Jeff about fell asleep. The dialouge, though important just did not keep the action going. I know the idea was to make a more serious and dark show...but this is down right depressing thru the whole thing. Earth being brought up at the very end as a "secret" and then not believing himeslf it's real? It's just to trite.

I did like Apollo, he was not bad...he does even better work in "Horatio Hornblower" as first mate.
    Starbuck was stilted...I don't believe it's her fault though. The lines are just dumb for the character, and do nothing to expand on her emotions... all her troubles are shown, and rarley talked about.

Boomer as a Cylon? Where the he-- did this crap come from? What a stupid idea. The president is a pain, but believable...she is a good actress but stuck again in a dumb part.

The major gripe would be the Cylons themselves. Now they are just like us down to the most basic level? What the HE--? Not only do they go cheap and only show the cool Cylon's only 3 times, but these stupid human copies are all exactly the same? It reminds me of the bad movie "screamers". This is not a way to make sci-fi fans happy. Show the machines...not the skin.

Ah, but the effects.., I noticed Jeff was accurate to give credit to the "Firefly" crew. (*The visual effects are top notch (way to go Firefly team - btw, anyone else notice the Serenity flying by in the beginning of the show?)

They where great..and just think you can meet the guy who did all of it. He's bring not only Galactica stuff but Firefly as well to FilmCon...

My favorite is how the Cylon fighters flew into combat...very cold and fast. The music for them was great. But again visuals do not make a show.

I would agree with Jeff...about a "C" at most. Not a bad try, but they have a lot to make up for now...I hope we give them a chance!

7. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I was disappointed that the prez and Apollo didn't die in the episode 1 cliffhanger - I think that would have been something completely unique and unexpected to lay the foundation for a possible series.

The whole "cylon inside Baltar's head" thing is intesting - is she live or is she memorex?

The ending rah - rah speach followed by gratuitus hugging affected me in the same way that the "orgey" scene in Matrix affected Jeff - I just kind of laughed. From the moment Adama uttered the word "Earth" I knew he was lying. Like Eric said - rather trite.

I like the fact that a TON of the ships in the fleet were almost exact replicas of the original series (the "forrest" ship, and the ship with three saucers to mention just a couple).

The realization that the war was over and tactics had to change was done rather well - though Adama being inspired by crew members flirting was a stretch. I do like the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of controversy about it once that psychological hurdle was overcome though. There was no BS military dude saying we need to "retake the colonies".

The "By your command" line at the end was a nice touch.

What was with all the nasty kid deaths? I really don't need to see kids die to know Cylons are bad. Nukes pretty much prove that point.

Speaking of kid deaths, please, please please, please kill Boxie now. He barely said 2 word and I already hate him more than Wesley.

BTW - I used to be really good at programming COBAL - does that make me a Lord?

8. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    over all it was O.K.

I would have to agree, with you on that Eric. Also Boomer being a Cylon was really terrible! ugh! she was my favorite character, and then she ends up being the cylon, figures. I did like the special effects, and the end space battle was good, I cant wait to meet team Firefly at Filmcon, that should be fun. What stuff are they bringing from the show do you know Eric?

Overall I liked it though, I did want a little more action, but it was interesting, and kept me busy for two nights. I would have liked to see more hand to hand combat between the humans, and the Cylons (like maybe in the weapon researve, I was really hoping for some gun fights their. I always enjoy blaster fights more than the space battles. Well, there is my two cents.

Forcebewitya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.