main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boston College Eagles football

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Wildstar02301, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Don't look now, but the Boston College football team is having a season. Ranked #21 in the nation this week, they took a trip to Morgantown, WV and upset the #13 West Virginia Mountaineers, 36-17. If they can beat Temple on the road next week and close out the season with a home win against Syracuse on Thanksgiving weekend, they'll win the Big East conference title and be in line for a major bowl, either the Sugar Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl in all likelihood.

Let's get behind these BC Eagles! :D

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I wish I could be a little more enthusiastic, but I'm just not a huge football fan. I'm not sure why. I love baseball but can't seem to get into any other sports.

Are the college football teams around here usually not that great? MIT has a team...we play in Division III though and had a pretty bad season (2-7). :p

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Rosie

Boston College is the only school around here that plays football at the Division 1-A level. Northeastern has done well recently, but they're in 1-AA. Harvard's also technically in 1-AA, however they pretty much stay inside the Ivy League and the Ivy League does not participate in the 1-AA championship tournament. Also, the only Harvard game most people care about is the one against Yale every year, anyway. Boston University's football program was a Title IX victim years ago.

4. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I, personally, am not a fan of BC sports, I piffer College of the Holy Cross, except when it comes to Fairfield University's Basketball team (b/c I go there, hehe, but we lack a football team, GRRR!). Most schools with large Football programs were probably hit hard by Title IX b/c they had to find women's sports to spend the same amount of money in. GO STAGS AND CRUSADERS!!! :)

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    BC can't get any respect! All that work and BC could only move up 2 spots in the polls to #19 this week. Let's hope BC dominates the last 2 games of the regular season and at least gets within shouting distance of the Top 10 in time for bowl season.

6. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I love BC. Until recently my family had seaosn tickets and I'd go to The Heights 2 or 3 times a season. I went to the UMass v. BC game this year and it was difficult to root for UMass when BC was thrashing then so soundly. It would be wonderful to see them in a bowl.

7. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    It will be hard for BC to get any national respect from here on out. Because VT and Miami already bolted to the ACC, most of the nation sees the Big East as a cream-puff division not worthy of a BCS spot. The hope nationally was that WV would beat BC and Pitt and finish the season in the top 10 and add a bit of credability to whatever bowl game they would have gone to (Fiesta?).

Even if BC beats Temple and Syracuse (two very weak teams) I doubt they'll get any closer to the top 10 than say maybe 14 or 15. All I can say is they better win the Big East Championship now because starting next season, they're going to become one of the "Have-Nots" of the ACC.

8. TI-0694

TI-0694 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    BC is going into the ACC? Oh man that sucks. That conference is just getting jammed up with teams and there's gonna be nothing but scrubs in the Big East. Who'll be left after that? West Virginia and Rutgers? Big deal.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Mike

Being in the ACC will give BC an advantage in recruiting players from the Northeast. Even now, BC has a good group of freshmen, many of whom chose BC because they'll start play in the ACC next year. Add to that the state-of-the-art training and practice facilities that are being constructed on some of the land the school purchased from the Archdiocese of Boston, and BC will be able to attract the type of top talent that will be needed to compete in the ACC in all sports, not just football.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I heard that BC's BCS ranking is now at #19 =D=!!! As long as they keep up their winning ways they could finish the season as high as #10 :eek:.

GO EAGLES!!!

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Nice win for the Eagles @ Temple Saturday, and they're ranked #17 this week in the AP poll. BC can win the Big East title and a BCS bowl berth with a win at Alumni Stadium over the Orangemen of Syracuse. They'll have to do it w/o starting QB Paul Peterson, however, who had to leave the Temple game at halftime with a right hand injury. Redshirt freshman QB Matt Ryan looked pretty good in the second half though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. :D

I'm hearing tickets for the Syracuse game might still be available, and for a special holiday price of $10/ea. You can get them w/ a credit card by calling 617-552-GoBC or online at http://www.bceagles.com

12. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Do you work for BC or something?

13. Rogue-Girl

Rogue-Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    wooo go umass...er....BC! :-D

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Do you work for BC or something?

Nope, just a fan who wishes college sports got more attention in Boston. :p

15. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    GO STAGS!!!!! :)

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Eagles' BCS hopes suffered a major setback today w/ a 42-17 defeat @ the hands of the Syracuse Orangemen. Thus, there is a four-way tie @ 4-2 for the Big East title between BC, Pitt, West Virginia, and Syracuse. Syracuse is definitely out of the BCS picture since they're just barely bowl-eligible w/ a 6-5 overall record. Pitt has the inside track because they have wins against both BC and WVU. However, they must win on the road @ South Florida next Saturday. If they don't, BC and WVU would be tied for best overall record @ 8-3 w/ BC getting the BCS nod because of the head-to-head win. Realistically, though, I think the Eagles are looking at the Gator Bowl on New Year's Day, which still isn't bad. If the Gator Bowl committee opts for WVU because they'll "travel better", then BC will be in the Insight Bowl in Phoenix on Dec. 28.

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    That was a tough game to watch [face_beatup]. After Syracuse ran that 66-yard TD on the opening drive I had a feeling this wasn't going to be an easy win for the Eagles. Hopefully they'll have better luck this weekend.

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    J_O

The Eagles' regular season is over. :(

To update everyone, West Virginia accepted an invitation to play in the Gator Bowl, so BC will have to settle for one of the minor bowls, likely the aforementioned Insight Bowl.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Just came across this on the Herald site via WEEI.com...

Boston College has accepted an invitation to play future ACC rival North Carolina in the Continental Tire Bowl on Dec. 30 in Charlotte, NC. North Carolina's regular season record was 6-5, so we should get a decent idea where BC stands in relation to its future ACC foes after this game.

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    A couple of items...

Boston College took home two of the Big East's top 4 postseason awards. DE Mathias Kiwanuka was named the conference's Defensive Player of the Year while LB Brian Toal was named Rookie of the Year. Kiwanuka was also the only Eagle to be named first-team All Big East.

Secondly, I'd also like to gauge interest in starting a BC basketball thread. They're already off to a 4-0 start and coach Al Skinner usually makes sure they're playing in March. Since the BC fans are already posting here, I figured this would be the thread to ask if we should have one. Reply if interested.

21. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Continental Tire Bowl: BC 37 UNC 24 Final

BC was pretty much able to run at will all day, with redshirt freshman RB Andre Callender going for 175 yards on 26 carries with a TD behind a line that would be the envy of some NFL teams. Senior QB Paul Peterson returned from his broken hand injury suffered in the Temple game and was effective, going 24/33 for 235 yards and 2 TDs before suffering another injury in the 4th quarter, this time a broken leg. Defensively, junior DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a standout with 2 sacks.

There were some weaknesses that cropped up, however. North Carolina QB Darian Durant had a big day (24/42, 266 yds, 3 TD) against a BC secondary that played rather inconsistently. The kicking game wasn't that good, either, as freshman kicker Ryan Ohliger had a field goal attempt blocked and missed a PAT try (it should be said, however, that Ohliger scored a TD that put the game more or less out of reach on a fake field goal in the play after Peterson's injury).

My call? BC should be able to compete in the ACC next year, but will have to shore up the above mentioned weaknesses if they wish to go to a better bowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.