Boston Rebels Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    With the biggest Star Wars convention ever approaching, many people have been working on new costumes. I've been working on my first costume ever: Barriss Offee.

The costume has been very challenging but I've had so much wonderful help with it from my Cleveland FanForce friends and others. When I was home I managed to get a lot done. The hardest part for sure is the cloak. Finding the right fabric was a royal pain; the color, texture, and pattern result in a very unique combination that is difficult to replicate. I've seen cloaks in many different patterns, ranging from very defined designs to simple crushed velvet, and colors ranging from very purple to very blue. All the costumes I've seen are simplified versions, and they all look great. But being the perfectionist I am, I'm going for the most accurate look I can.

I'm going to post a link of my work in progress here, but before you look, I have to explain what's still left to complete. The shoulders of the cloak are going to be tacked back because Barriss's cloak doesn't drape much in the front. The neckline of the cloak needs to be finished yet, because there's lots of fabric layering from the fastening of the cloak to the top of the neck. I have the neckpiece done, but the rest to go. The top I'm going to try to dye a deeper shape of black, as well as stitch some lines down the front to more closely match the design on Barriss's shirt. We made a skirt but I hate the way it turned out (it's supposed to be fuller at the bottom, hard to see in the picture), so I'll probably be redoing it. Then there's the belt, which will be quite a project; it'll cover where the shirt and skirt meet too, so it'll look different than the picture. I still need to buy the makeup too, and clear/less noticable eyebrow/nose jewelry because all the silver is pretty distracting. :p

Warning: I was really tired in the following picture, with no makeup, so I'm kinda scary looking. Of course, some may think I'm always scary looking, but I thought I'd warn you all anyway. :p

Barriss Offee, in progress

I have two more projects on my definite list at the moment: Asajj Ventress, and an Episode III Padme costume (click to see, at your own risk). I'm looking for a more standard/canon Imperial/bad guy costume to make, but haven't found anything that especially thrills me yet.

If any of you have ventured into costuming, or are thinking of doing so, I'd love to hear about your accomplishments/ideas. I know I'm going to have fun showing off my costume at C3, and many more costumes at many conventions to come.

Costuming is difficult for me though since I don't have sewing skills, or even access to a sewing machine at school. It would be awesome if we got some more members and were able to start a little costuming group within the Rebels! Almost no one does this stuff by themselves, and collaborating on projects really helps get things done not only faster but better. :)
  2. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thank you for making your cloak blue. I see way to many people with grape/purple colored cloaks which just seems so wrong to me. Mine is blue as well. :D Great job so far.
  3. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's funny, because in the Clone Wars cartoons they made her cloak purple. But the actual costume is definitely blue. It was hard to find a blue I was happy with, because I was looking for something midnight blue or indigo. The fabric I ended up using is a satiny drapery fabric. It has a simple swirly, leafy design on it. Thanks for the compliments - and for your help, because I know exactly what makeup to get thanks to you. :)
  4. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Any time! Glad to help.
  5. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    I had been toying with the idea of taking NJ Ed's suggestion and come up w/ a pilot costume for RL, but after seeing his at Supermegafest, I remarked that it was more involved than I thought it would be. I'm pretty conservative with my cash and would like to be working before I attempt one, so don't count on me doing it soon. [face_plain]
  6. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sometimes costuming is something you have to do a little bit at a time, both because of money and because of availability of what you're looking for. You pick up what you can, when you can. I was working faster on Barriss, thanks to my mom's financial and sewing assistance, because I wanted at least one costume for C3, but the rest of my costumes are going to have to wait as I find the time and money to do them. :)
  7. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice job so far Rosie.

I used to be into th costuming aspect of SW. Right after I graduated from College a bunch of friends and I spent a couple of months on costumes of Luke, Han, Leia dn Obi-Wan from ANH that we would wear to local conventions and the charity screenings of the SW trilogy that used to take place back in the mid-90's. I had actually started work on a second Luke costume from ROTJ but lost interest in it as our little group started going our separate ways.
  8. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Do you have any pictures of you in costume? I'd love to see them. :)
  9. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
  10. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure I do, somewhere. Nothing digital, so I'd have to scan them in. Let me rummage around my office at home for a couple of days and I'll see what I can dig up.
  11. MonaLeia Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yay! Costuming! I really want to get in on this but I won't be able to afford it before I have to leave this group! :( It's very sad!

Even so, I think your costume is very awesome!!! It looks so great so far!! Someday I'll make a costume for myself but being that I won't be able to make it to CIII, I am not really in a hurry at this point. Stupid student teaching!!
  12. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for the compliments guys! Yesterday I did some research for my Asajj costume...I'm trying to decide what the design will be. So far I've seen 4 different outfits in the comics and then the Clone Wars cartoon one. Decisions, decisions... :)
  13. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've mentioned it in so many threads I forget where I haven't mentioned it already :)
    I'm working on a hyperdrive mechanic outfit for C3. I didn't want to do a movie character, since I don't closely resemble anyone..maybe Evazan or Ponda Baba, lol!
    Anywho, it's a tough road b/c I have to come up with everything myself and have next to nothing to base it on take make it look SW.
    Right now, I'm working up my props:
    I ordered some replica tools and a droid caller online.
    I have an old Speak N Math that I'm converting into a datapad.
    At a local KB closeout 90% sale :) I got one of those cheapy noisy ray guns to make into a "real" blaster and a Beyblade launcher that will likely become mynock repellent spray ;)
    Hit the Army Surplus store for some odds n ends: fingerless gloves, "welding" goggles, a great satchel.
    Home Depot yielded a very (IMO) SW-sy looking tool pouch and some nifty washers to spice up my blaster.

I have yet to start on the actual outfit itself. I still have to order a belt & buckle. And to decide on what I'm wearing, then go get it!
    I'm photoshopping some patches to iron on to my work shirt, as well as some business cards to hand out to all the Solos I see ;)

If anyone is thinking about getting into costuming, check out the Rebel Legion forums as well as Dewback Wing. There are some very smart, friendly and helpful peeps there.
  14. tk7602 Jedi Padawan

the hyperdrive mechanic costume sounds cool.

also worth noting is that the local rebel legion base has a web board too:

http://www.echobaserebels.com/

on the costuming note, i've got 3 different projects going currently:

- x wing pilot
    - rebel fleet trooper
    - death star gunner

i've got almost all of the parts for the x wing pilot, and just need to do the sewing on the vest and coverall.

the rft i've got the helmet, gun, boots and vest, but need the belt, holster, pants and shirt.

the dsg i have all of the parts, and just need to finish assembling the helmet.

then there's the stormtrooper, tusken raider, royal guard and jedi. i think i have a costuming problem.

15. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Rosie, I suggest the "Clone Wars" costume since more people know Asajj from that than from the comics.
  16. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Rose, your Barriss looks great so far! Very happy to see that the color is right, because like Natasha said, too many people do a grape/purple cloak instead of searching for the correct color.

As far as Asajj goes, pick up the Episode 2 concept art book as well. She's in there, and it's a bit of a help. If you have ANY questions about your Asajj costume, contact Gary or myself. We're more than happy to help. Oh, and Gary can build your sabers for you if you want them ;)
  17. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    If you're going to do Asajj you nkow you have to shave your head, right?

;)
  18. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    My boyfriend asked me if I was going to do that, in a very uneasy voice I might add. ;) And the answer is, hell no, no way, no no no. It's called a bald cap. :) It won't be easy and it'll take a lot of practice to get it to look right, but should be a great learning experience and a lot of fun.
  19. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    One of my friends shaved her hair off once. It was in the middle of summer (you know how hot it gets) and all of her brother's were shaving their heads to cool themselves off. Then her sisters wanted to do the same thing. As a result she joined them in shaving her head to cool off. Her hair has grown back though.
  20. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Allow me to give you my card:

CLICK!
  21. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
  22. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Gary told me I have to shave my head too for the Asajj costume. I will not be shaving my head, thank you very much. He was only kidding when he told me this, but I will be wearing a baldcap and getting correct makeup.
  23. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Correct make-up would be shaving your head....
    Where's your dedication, woman?

:)
  24. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Your costume sounds really cool Dex. I'm sure it'll draw lots of attention at C3. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation on the Episode 2 concept art book, Marie. I think I might have that at home. I think I'll probably end up doing a combination of her costumes since the details vary so much in the comics. One thing I know I'm doing is wearing black gloves. You see her wearing them sometimes, others not. I don't want to have to worry about painting my hands whitish-gray. And Marie, if Gary wants to trouble himself with 4 sabers instead of 2, I'd be very grateful. :)
  25. Reaper63 Force Ghost

star 4
    Dex, the patch and Card looks good man, nicely done.
    I'm looking foward to seeing it as well.

I'm not doing anything new for CIII, just bringing the usual costumes, although I've just commited to getting Meri done up in Rebel Orange :) spent some of today working on a chest box for her. Hopefully she's done her homework (I can't do everythign for her ;)) and the costume has been started :)
    Although she was excited when I told her this would be prefect for her to use the Leia ANH Blaster I sold to her a while ago. Just have to get a holster for it. :)

It won't end up being as Hyper accurate as my Orange costume, but it will look good :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.