main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boston Rebels Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk7602

tk7602 Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2004
    hehehe... i don't check in here very often, but i couldn't resist posting here, since i'm such a dork about costumes.

at this point i've got:

(finished)
    prequel era jedi
    stormtrooper
    tusken raider
    royal guard

(in progress)
    death star gunner
    rebel fleet trooper
    x-wing pilot
    rebel technician

the DSG is just about done. all i need to do is stick the imperial logo sticker on the helmet. i've got everything else done.

the fleet trooper is close. the holster is being made for me now, and i need to pick up the pants and shirt. i've got the helmet, gun and vest.

the xwing is getting there. i've got all the parts, i just need to finish sewing the orange suit and make the vest. this one is a specific pilot even - biggs.

the rebel tech is just sort of a fun thing. the guy that made the RFT and DSG helmets is giving me one so that i can take pics of it in case anyone has the burning desire to be one. it's basically just the RFT with a few parts removed. i figure at that rate i might as well get a coverall and make a costume out of it.

2. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Rose,

Gary already made mine :) But I told him to check the thread :)

Dex, my dedication is to my hair. ;) There's a very good reason why I won't shave my head (believe me, I contemplated it for other reasons not Star Wars related a long time ago).

3. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Thanks for the kind words guys! Unfortunately, the stuff you've seen has been the easy part so far, lol!

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Still looking for those pictures Rosie. As soon as I dig 'em up I'll post them for you all to take a look at. If nothing else, you'll atleast get a good laugh out of the raging mullet I had back in the 90's :D

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    If nothing else, you'll atleast get a good laugh out of the raging mullet I had mack in the 90's

VIVA LA MULLET!!!!!

6. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    A mullet? Wow, now I'm really intrigued! :D

7. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    VIVA LA MULLET!!!!!
    Hehehe! :)

8. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, I finally found those missing pictures. As soon as I have them scanned and uploaded I'll post the link.

UPDATE:
    As promised, here are the photos, be kind! :D As a (depressing) side note, as I was scanning them in, I noticed a develop date on the back....it was January 1995.

SW Costumes

9. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Mike!!! You made an awesome Luke! The hair was perfect! :D Thanks for posting the pics. I would've checked them out sooner, but since post edits don't show up as new posts, I didn't know they were here!

An update on my costuming progress:

Barriss Offee
    My mom hemmed my cloak for me. When I'm home on break we're going to pin back the shoulders and add a collar piece. For the hood we still need to attach a comb so it'll hang onto my hair and stay in place. Then it'll be done!

I figured out that we could make some more defining seams down the front of my shirt by pinching some of the fabric on the inside and sewing it all the way down the front in two lines (if that makes sense, it's like a fake seam). Should also help make the shirt a little more fitting.

My mom said she had enough extra material to try and add some inserts to the bottom of my skirt to help make it fuller. I'm skeptical about the chances of this working out, so I wouldn't be surprised if I hunted for a completely new pattern and more fabric to start over from scratch. I don't want to hate my skirt, so it's worth the extra effort. We still need to hem the skirt too.

In a couple weeks I'll be ordering the synthetic leather for constructing my belt. This week I ordered my clay and paint to do the buckle. I'll post pictures when it's done. When I'm home on break I hope to get the whole belt finished. I think it will really pull the costume together.

I also ordered my makeup this week. I got the nail polish already, and I'll be doing a makeup test once I get the rest. I'll post pictures of that too. :)

I've almost given up on getting a lightsaber. It's just too much money. Maybe I'll get one at a later point in time. I'd rather invest the money in my other costumes for now.

Asajj Ventress
    I ordered all the makeup for this also this week. I hope to have a makeup test done by the weekend, bald cap and all. :D

I figured out that I'm going to use black and gray stretchy pleather material for the top. It has to be really tight, which will be probably be uncomfortable for me at first but hopefully I'll get used to it. The synthetic leather that I'm ordering for Barriss's belt will also come in handy for several parts of Asajj's costume. I don't have patterns figured out for the skirt or shirt yet, but hopefully I'll figure that out fairly soon. I'll be heading to JoAnn's next weekend to check some things out.

ROTS Padme
    I won't post too many details here out of respect for the people who may not want to know costuming details for the movie. I'll post more in the spoiler thread at some point. I'll just say now that I have the whole costume figured out, I just need to get some better pictures for a couple of parts. I have materials, patterns, and accessories all planned, I know where to get everything, and I can't wait to start on this one. :) It requires very little sewing, which makes me very very happy. :)

And that's all! At least, that's all I'm doing before C3. I hope to do at least one more ROTS Padme costume between then and any summer conventions (San Diego, hopefully...). :D

10. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words Rosie. That was actually Version 1.0 of that costume. After that con, I made improvements to the belt, boots and added a more "authentic-looking" lightsaber. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of myself in the updated suit.

Sorry to hear about your lightsaber problems. If you're down to the last minute with out one, you may want to consider buying one of the "play" models they sell at every toy store and modify it slightly. I know they're a bit on the "jumbo" side, but at least you would have something to wear on your belt.

You may also want to check any costume stores that are nearby. From what I remember, Rubies made a more to scale version of a saber that they sold only in costume store. If you could find one of those, it could be servicable as well.

Good luck!

11. TI-0694

TI-0694 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    The only costume I have completed is my TIE pilot...seen here. Of course that's with the old helmet and chest box. I have a new set that looks MUCH better and I'd gladly show some shots of them but our server is acting up with the weather down here and I can't link anywhere from njo.com.

The other two I have in progress are a blue ARC trooper(85% done) and a stormtrooper(10% done).

EDIT: Server back!

12. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Good job with your costumes.

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I've almost given up on getting a lightsaber. It's just too much money. Maybe I'll get one at a later point in time. I'd rather invest the money in my other costumes for now.

What about making the lightsaber? There's plenty of tutorials out there that would show you the basics. I've tried finding some reference pics for you to go on and from what I can tell there are two (or three depending on how you look at it) different versions. If you go here you can see what Offee's saber looks like, which is identical to Aayla Secura's saber, along with Adi Gallia's saber, which according to this picture (scroll down to #91) looks like it might be more accurate.

14. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    It would still require a great deal of time to find the pieces to put together a lightsaber that I'd be happy with, plus I really don't have access to tools. We do have a shop in my dorm but you have to be trained to use it, something else that requires time.

I think I'd just rather wait until I have the money to get someone to do a really nice replica for me, rather than spend half that to put together something I'd ultimately be unhappy with.

I tried making a lightsaber once. It was fun, and I learned that metal epoxy fumes are not good for the brain or stomach. I might do it again sometime, but not until my financial resources are a bit better.

The Sculpey and paint I ordered to make the belt buckle were shipped yesterday. I can't wait to get them! I'm so excited to start playing with this stuff. :)

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It was fun, and I learned that metal epoxy fumes are not good for the brain or stomach.

Who says they're not good for the brain 8-}?

It definately does take time to do the research and find everything you'll need. Someday I want to start building replicas myself, both for costuming and for collecting purposes.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I tried it (building a lightsaber) once. I'm actually wearing it in the picture in the link above. I was originally going for the Luke ANH saber but was haing so much fun with it, it ended up morphing into something completely different. It's amazing how many decent parts for a saber can be found at Home Depot :D

17. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Home Depot...A wreched hive of scum and villiany. Just Kidding.

18. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    LOVE going to home depot, picking up some random piping and plumbing pieces and making them work into a saber.

http://photos.imageevent.com/darthgyos/etceterapix/websize/HPIM0708.JPG

This was one of my latest. It cost me $6.

I am in the PVC pipe aisle so much they must think I am a terrorist.

~DG~

19. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Love the topic. Recently found out that the wife and myself will be going to C3, and she has decided to go the tried and true Jedi route. I , on the otherhand, have yet to decide if I want to wear a costume. I've decided if I do dress up, it will be a rogue/bounty hunter. In other words, a cheap costume! :p

What I need to know is where I can pick up a pair of shin high boots, for a cheap price. Would Goodwill have anything like this? Maybe army surplus? I'm not looking to put alot of money into this as I want to put as much into the trip itself.

Thanks for any ideas, and hope to see some of you there!

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    you can try places like WalMart, Target and Building 19 if there's one close by. I bought a pair of black "leather" ones about 8 years ago at an Ann & Hope for about $15 or so and I've more than made my money back off them. I've used them for costumes ranging from Austin Powers to Captain Kirk to Robin (of "Batman &" fame).

Good luck!

21. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    That's great, good luck with your costume! I'm having issues finding boots myself. I have some online sources but need to save up some money first. :p

EDIT: Eeek, I just realized we have three Mikes posting in this thread. I have to make sure I label you all correctly...

Mike (NJ), I've been following your costuming projects on the NJO forum. Everything looks great!

Gary, I'm impressed with your saber skills. Did Marie tell you I'd be quite interested in a pair of Asajj sabers? ;)

I'm glad so many people are interested in this thread...we've got us, the 501st, NJO, and now Manchester. Awesome. :)

22. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Fel, check out www.sportsmansguide.com
    You can sometimes find something workable there for cheap and their inventory changes frequently. Also try googling for surplus sites, there's plenty out there, I just don't remember any of them.

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Gary, I'm impressed with your saber skills. Did Marie tell you I'd be quite interested in a pair of Asajj sabers?

Does anyone here have any good reference pics of what Ventress' sabers look like (besides what is shown on LuukeSabers site)?

24. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Pretty much all my reference comes from the comics. I know Gary has already made a pair of them, I'm not sure what reference he used.

25. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    you missed a group Rosie ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.