main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boston Rebels Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI-0694

TI-0694 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
  2. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    It was only $57. But at this point, it's not about the money anymore. Having worked in the customer service industry for far too many years I am especially sensitive when I get bad service.
    I don't know if I'll be able to hang with you guys when you gather since my other half and her other half will be there. Yeah you read that right ;) Her best friend is coming along too.

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    ...since my other half and her other half will be there.

I used to have one of those :mad:. Hopefully your other half's other half is better than my other half's other half was **suddenly feeling dizzy [face_hypnotized]**. Fortunately she's not around anymore though :) [face_dancing] =D=!

I know what you mean Dex. I worked in retail for a while and it would kill me to hear stories about people getting bad service, and having to put up with it myself from time-to-time, knowing that I always did whatever I could for my customers [face_frustrated].

4. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Guess what? Turns out the guy is really a butt-head. I had my wife email him this morning saying she wanted to place an order. He emailed her back within 9 hours and said he was no longer taking PayPal as he is closing that account!!
    Meanwhile, I haven't gotten a response to any of the 5 emails I sent since March 31st!

5. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Mike, your armor looks great! I'm jealous. :p

Dex, $57 is a lot of money to me...I wish I were brave enough to go bother this guy in person for you. But I've seen a picture of him, and he's a lot bigger than me...

6. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    only going to do enough on cline to do the GENERAL KENOBI one.. Working on X-Wing outfit for upcoming events ...

7. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Maybe the C3 caravan can swing by his house on the way :)

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    The caravan should go for it! That would be hilarious! :D

I've made a lot of progress on my costumes since getting home yesterday:

Asajj Ventress:

The shirt and skirt are DONE. I'm so happy with them! We cut out a pattern for the leather covering on the shoulders, so we need to put that together yet as well as the neck part. The gauntlets also need done. The fabric and leather stuff for the belt need to be done yet too. The wooden ring I'm using has been sanded and puttied in preparation for painting. The axe handles have been cut into saber shapes, and I need to assemble the emitters. Once that's done they can be painted, and then wrapped with the leather stuff. Then I have to practice practice practice with the bald cap and makeup. :)

Barriss Offee:

The shirt was done over spring break. We finished the skirt. We still need to put some finishing touches on the cloak. The biggest accomplishment for today was the belt buckle. I made it out of sculpey and painted it. I'm really happy with how it came out. I need to practice the makeup for this one too, although it's much less involved than Asajj. ;)

ROTS Padme:

We need to dye the leggings an ivory color. I have the boots. I have a wig that I need to style with braided buns and a long braided ponytail. I have brown leather paint and the black vinyl stuff from Asajj to do the harness. I have plenty of sculpey left over to do the two metal pieces, although they'll be significantly more difficult than the belt buckle I made. There's so much more detail! We have the fabric for the tunic and gauntlets, and a pattern, but we haven't cut anything yet.

We still have tomorrow to finish everything. I'm fairly confident I'll have three fantastic costumes with me at C3. :D

9. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Ro, I can't wait to see it!

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    I just have a few finishing touches to get mine in order. I've done some practice iron-ons on the spare shirt I got. Just crossing my fingers I get it right when I do the "for real" one :)
    Also added a couple more small props (since I never got my actual tools) to my outfit with some creative designing.
    I hope the 100 business cards I printed will be enough, lol.

11. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    GAH! I'm ALMOST done. I have to paint the sculpey and attach it to my Padme costume, and practice the makeup. I also have to do some touch ups on the wig. I am SO tired and SO sore from working on these nonstop. And my mother wants to kill me for making her help me with all this. God I need a nap.

12. Rogue-Girl

Rogue-Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2002
    Oh man I would love to have the time and know how to make a costume. I'd love to be a TIE pilot, or a bounty hunter of my own creation, or maybe leia, a twilek dancer, or who knows what!

Tell me - do you see a lot of women in men's costumes, like a female Han solo? I would so go as Han!

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    I saw quite a couple female Hans, Lukes and Mandolorians. If you really wanna do it...do something you'll like! There's tons of people in the costuming forums on TFN alone that can give you advice.
    Don't feel you have to conform to "the norm" :) And on that note...

Here it is. It's not the best pic, but it's the best one I have right now.
    HyperTech Repairman

This being my first costuming venture, I learned a lot:
    * The sooner you start, the more time you have to work out any problems
    * If you order from an unlicensed dealer, make sure to check them out BEFORE you send them money and endless ignored emails
    * Iron-ons are tricky to get them to look good and stay on. Still don't know what I did wrong...
    * Velcro can do wonders
    * but not on everything
    * Measure the belt when it has everything on it so you know how it will hang, then punch the hole
    * People love the goggles!
    * Fingerless gloves from an Army surplus store should be washed a couple times so they don't muck up your hands when you sweat
    * Even if no one knows who you are/what you're supposed to be, there will be one person that really digs an original costume and will want to take a pic with you
    * If they look at your costume funny, hand them a business card

14. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Cool costume. :)

15. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Thanks! There's a lot of stuff in my tool puch that you can see in that pic. I'll have to get pics up of the final equipment.

16. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Alrighty, I have a question and I was hoping someone here on the boards could help me out.

Now that I have a second child, I was going to dress the both of them up in SW costumes for this halloween and then take them to have a portrait together. I've now decided that I'm going to join them, in costume for the portrait. Thought it would look cool up on the wall next to the picture of my wife and I renewing our vows with an Elvis impersonator.

Anyway, my question/problem is this: I want to do a Jedi costume but not one of those cheesy costume in a bag costumes for $30. Unfortunately, with the 2nd child I don't seem to have the spare time I would need to make one from scratch. So does anyone out there now of a local seamstress/costumer that could make a costume? All I would need made is the tunic, tabbards, and undertunic, the rest I could come up with myself.

I've checked out a few on Ebay, but the pictures are so small, you can't really tell what you're getting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
  18. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    What are you making them ?? JAWAS ???? you could make the hood big enough to pin in on inside and undo it for like 2 or 3 trick or treats ( e.g. from age 3-6 )....[face_money_eyes] < save on next years outfit > esp with 2007 release of the movies in 3D ... might want one for then...

Jedi outfits are basic and pretty much straight forward... just need to make sure you line up the arm pit areas right.. I LEARNED THIS DOING A IMP OFFICER OUTFIT... each time I raised arms the entire thing went up .... EEPPPP !!!!! :oops:

19. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    What are you making them ?? JAWAS ????

No silly! My oldest, who turns 3 next weekend will be going as a Jedi youngling (I'll probably buy him the off the rack Anakin costume and make some alterations to it) while my little bambino will be going as Princess Leia courtesy of the toddler costumes they sell over at sws.com.

Justin, If you know anyone who has a costume that they'd like to sell or even rent, let me know.

Thanks.

20. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    That's what I'm going to do for my son's costume. He wants to be Darth Vader for Halloween so I'm going to buy the Rubies costume and try to add lights to the chestbox and belt boxes. If I can swing the extra $$$ I'm going to get some black fabric and make myself a cloak (Darth Sidious style), then use some of the extra material to throw a pair of tabbards into his costume.

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I managed to score a pretty decent SW/Jedi pattern this weekend at JoAnn's Fabrics (Simplicity 4450). My question to any of you who have already constructed the Jedi Tunic is what fabric do you recommend? I know the "official" fabric is Khadi, but that is nearly impossible to get ahold of. Any other suggestions?

22. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Just use whatever is comfortable. The past few Halloween's have been unusually warm, so I'd stay away from something heavy, like wool, and use something lighter like cotton.

23. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, I'm definitely staying away from the wool. In fact, I'm not going to bother doing a Jedi Robe, just the tunic.

I think I'm going to go with a Cotton Gauze that I found the other night. It's even pretty close to the color I want too, so I may be able to get away without having to dye it.

24. JediPadme76

JediPadme76 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    Where did you find the fabric? I am going to be making my children the jedi robes and tunics. My kids want to be Luke and Obi-wan. Last year my oldest wore a Karate Gi, but we want to make better ones for this year.

25. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Not sure what part of the state you reside in JP76, but I found the Cotton Gauze fabric at a store called Fabric Place. I know they have a few locations throughout MA but the one I found it at was in Downtown Framingham. You can check them out at their website, fabricplace.com.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.