main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boston Rebels Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPadme76

JediPadme76 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    thanks!
    I will have to check it out! My kids are growing impatient and want the costumes now!:D

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, I've finally started work on my Jedi Costume. I picked up the Simplicity 4450 pattern a couple of weeks ago and am still wavering on what fabric I want to use for the tunic/tabbards/obi. I also picked up some pleater that I'll be using to make the belt and pouches. I also scored some of the Staedtler pens to make the food capsules. I'm skipping on the robe and am reusing some chocolate brown pants from one of my renaissance costumes.

That leaves only the boots. Can anyone who has made a Jedi costume point me in the direction of some good but reasonably priced boots? I have some knee-high suede boots from my ren costume, but want to go with the "leather" look instead.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll post some pictures of the outfit as I move along in the process.

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    You could go with a pair of riding boots and add some strips of leather to them. Or you could just fabricate a "slip-on" that would just go over a regular pair of shoes.

4. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Wouldn't riding boots be expensive? :confused:

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Somewhat, the cheapest pair I've been able to find locally so far have been in the $100 range.

I know there's someone selling rubber versions on eBay for around $40, but I've heard that they're not the most comfortable pair of boots and the rubber makes your feet sweat like the dickens! I'm going to go in search of a local Army & Navy store either this week or next and see if they might carry something usable.

Anyone else have any thoughts/ideas?

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    So with Halloween just over 1 month away, does anyone have any updates/pics to share on their costumes?

7. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    On the boots front I found an inexpensive solution at a costume shop in Waltham on Moody Street. They only set me back $36 and I was also able to pick up my son's Anakin costume there as well :D

No pictures yet, but I ran into a snag with my Obi-Wan costume. The guy I was going to purchase a belt and pouches from closed up shop until after Halloween :( My own fault though. I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. So Now I'm going to hit Joann Fabrics tonight after work and pick up a yard of pleather and the necessary supplies to make myself a quick and easy belt. The only thing I need to find a supplier for are the rivets on the belt. I'm looking for the ones that have the screw-backs instead of the ones that need an anvil so if anyone has a lead or two, please let me know.

I'm also in a holding pattern with my tunic material. Someone over at the C&P forum has some dead-on fabric they'd be willing to sell me except they already offered it to someone else and that person is taking their sweet time deciding whether or not they really want it. (sigh)

So I if don't hear anything on that by the end of the week I may have to go with an alternate fabric I found last week. Doesn't look anything like the Obi-Wan fabric as far as texture goes, but it should make for a nice tunic and it's an almost exact color match. I do have the material for the undershirt, but that still needs to be made and dyed brown.

So right now I have the boots and the pants set. Hopefully the belt and pouches will be at least 75% done by the end of the weekend.

As soon as I more done I'll start posting some pictures.

8. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    completed outfits :

Rebel Legion :
    Jedi -- original jedi ... eventually to be modified towards obiwan's maybe ....
    XWING -- BEN SKYWALKER using dad's helmet --- Rancor 6 of Alderaan base Pilot squad

501st :
    Imperial Officer

to do list : another IMP one -- maybe a gunner

InuYasha
    StarBlazers
    and some more SW ones eventually : RFT and another IMP one -- a TK one.

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    So with only 1 WEEK LEFT before Halloween does anyone have any updates on their costumes?

I'm trying to figure out how to wire some LED's together for my son's belt (he's going to be Vader, although I probaly didn't need to explain that :p). I've found a diagram that will help me out but now I'm just trying to figure out what kind of resistor to use. Anyone here have any electronics experience?

10. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well my kids costumes are all set. All I have left to do for them is dye my sons undershirt. Mine is not faring as well. My undershirt has become a giant pain in the bottom and I may end up scrapping it in favor of a mock-turtlenect that I already own. My tunic should be finished sometime this week, but I am unure if my pouches and capsules will be finished in time.

My company is having a costume contest on the 31st and first prize is $200 cash. Since I'm unsure of what state of finish my costume will be in, I may have to pull an oldie but goodie out of my closet. Right now I'm leaning towards my Underdog...If I can find UD's head, which is stored somewhere in my parents basement :)

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, since Halloween is but a memory, I thought I would post these pics here. I fianlly have my Jedi costume to a point where I'm happy with it. I have to punch a couple of extra holes in the belt and touch up the belt pouches, but other than that I'm done. So here I am (complete with lightsaber FX :D) and then a "family portrait" of myself with my little "princess" :D

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/DarthWormie/jordan_daddy3.jpg]
    [image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/DarthWormie/costume1a.jpg]

12. PadmeSusyQ

PadmeSusyQ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    THAT is the most beautiful little princess costume. Very good execution on the buns. oh yeah, and the Jedi looks excellent too ;-)

13. JEDIMASTER6872

Apr 5, 2004
    Mike,

In the event you choose to submit pics for RL membership .. I am sure you would quickly get approved with that amazing workmanship... Great job !!!!!! Congrads.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Your outfit looks great! And thanks for the tip on your boots. I haven't tried to make my own costume yet but from what I've seen it's very hard to find something in mens sizes that would pass as a Jedi boot without costing an arm and a leg. The options seem to be much easier for the women costumers. Where did you get the leather for your belt?

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Justin... were you trooping at the Halloween parade on the 30th by any chance?

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Thanks all. I can't take credit for the princess costume and the hair buns. All the credit should go to Rubies :) The only problem with her costume was the belt wasn't long enough to attach around the back, so I had to clothespin to her costume.

I tried to get my son to pose with us in his, but he didn't want any part of it. Instead he just hung around my wife, trying to pull the camera from her hands as she was taking the pictures :)

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I found the same thing with my son's Vader costume, his belt was just barely long enough for me to tie it around his waist. Odd enough, when I bought him his Anakin costume a few years back the belt was way too long and I had to use a binder clip to hold it in place.

18. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    That's too funny. I ran into the exact same problem with my son's Anakin costume this year and came up with the exact same solution with the binder clips.

I guess great minds DO think alike ;)

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    They sure do :D!!! It was really the only thing that would hold up the belt and support the clip for his saber.

Speaking of saber... what did you use for your lightsaber on your costume?

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    The lightsaber I bought at a Creation Convention back in the early-mid 90's, long before the days of ParkSabers and MR. Back in the "dark times" before the Special Editions were released the Creation conventions, even though they were heavily Star Trek slanted, were the only place you could meet other SW/Sci-Fi collectors.

Anyway, getting back on topic, My friends and I showed up for one of the cons as Han, Luke, Ben & Leia and were a pretty big hit, probably because everyone else was dressed up as a member of Starfleet ;) We stumbled across a dealer selling ST weapons and in the back of his case he had a Luke ANH saber and a Han blaster. The guy ended up giving my buddy and I a deal because we bought them both w/cash.

The quality is not nearly as good as what's available today, but I still love it. I have it sitting at my computer at home and whenever I'm waiting for something to download or save I pick it up and hold it. It has a really nice feel to it as well.

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I have a replica Graflex from Parks Sabers (minus the EL blade), it's not for costuming but for my saber collection. Still haven't finished it off yet but hopefully I will soon. Now that I think of it that sounds like something to put on the good old Christmas list [face_thinking].

22. JEDIMASTER6872

Apr 5, 2004
    no i was working .. so I would have cash for SMF ....

I did the woburn parade last year though ... I was driving the white truck last time...

next year I hope the RL has enough to march themselves .... just need to mod the car a bit..

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I forgot to ask how comfortable their boots are? Have you done any serious walking in them or just light treading?

24. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Okay, this could quite possibly be the longest it has ever taken one person to reply to a post. 8-} Sorry about that!

The boots are comfortable enough, but you may want to throw a pair of gel insoles in them though. Also, and this is VERY important, make sure you feel the inside of each boot with your hand before shoving your foot into them. When I bought them, I only tried on the right boot because that is my larger foot. When I got home and tried them on with the assembled parts of my costume, I discovered 2 exposed tacks in the left boot. They were easily tapped back into place, but they did manage to draw a couple drops of blood.:eek:

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    No problem. That sounds like it would be a good idea to put a new set of insoles in them. And I'll try to remember to check for stray metal fasteners before putting them on too :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.