main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boston Rebels Suggestions Thread: How can we make our group better?

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    While we have a thread for meet and event ideas, we didn't really have one for general suggestions. So now we do!

If there's something about the group you'd like to see change, or something we don't have or do that you'd like to see added, here's the place to propose and discuss these ideas. I really look forward to hearing your ideas. I'm always interested in making this group as fun and successful as it can possibly be.

My biggest complaint right now is our number. For a chapter in one of the big cities in this country, we're ridiculously small. I'd really like to see this change by the time Episode III rolls around. There are two steps I'd like to take in order to change this:

1) Recruiting. My creation of the Boston Star Wars Meetup Group was one idea, but do any of you have others? We sadly didn't seem to get any new members as the result of our advertising at Super Mega Fest. How else can we attract new members?

2) Website. We really, really need a website. I've seen how a good FanForce website can attract new people that haven't even heard of TFN before. Our best shot at a website is recruiting someone into our group that has web skills. We've had a couple people inquire about this, and I'm still looking into our options.

The success of this discussion really depends on input from everyone. I don't care how long you've been in the group or how many meetings you've attended - I just want to hear from everyone. Thanks in advance for your participation. :)

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    As far as a web site goes, if you just need something simple that can be done w/ a shareware/freeware HTML editor, I suppose I'd be game if I can get DarthWormie's help w/ the graphics. I'd like to see if we hear from BrianLive again, though, as he has more experience and probably has better tools at his disposal.

With recruiting in mind, I have a link to both the FanForce main site (which will be replaced by the Boston Rebels URL once a site is functional) and the Boston Rebels board in my Yahoo profile. Also, most of my online friends know that I am a member, but my recruiting gains have been outside the online world. My best friend Ed, although he probably will never post on the board, can make meets and has already been to Supermegafest. I should also have another recruiting surprise tomorrow (though Rosie already knows about it). ;)

3. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I would help build a website with you guys, as long as I don't have to maintain it. :)

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    While I don't have the time to host or maintain a site wither, I'd still be more than happy to provide graphics for the site.

As for the new banner for our page here. I explained already to Rosie, but between my Atlanta trip and being out of town on a photoshoot last week, I haven't had much free time to work on the changes everyone suggested. I've also been toying with the idea of making a revised "Champions" banner should a certain football team wine a certain game next Sunday. As soon as I do have those changes made, hopefully this week, I'll get the banner off to Rosie so she can share it with the rest of you guys.

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    If it's a simple site, I'd be more than happy to maintain it. We probably would need to get cheap hosting with our own domain name, though. I know our own domain name existed at one point, as Chris (DarthLucanas) used to have it in his signature here, but I don't know if the registrant let it expire. This (a site and everything attached to it) is part of the reason why we need to build up a treasury. I kicked in $5 at Supermegafest to get it started.

6. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    bostonrebels.net

Registration and WHOIS Service Provided By: DomainContender.com

Domain Contender, LLC provides the data in the DomainContender.com
    Registrar WHOIS database for informational purposes only. The information
    may only be used to assist in obtaining information about a domain name's
    registration record.

DomainContender makes this information available "as is,"
    and does not guarantee its accuracy.

Registrant:
    NOLDC, Inc
    838 Camp Street
    Apartment C
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    US
    504-523-0360
    Fax:504-274-0360

Domain Name: BOSTONREBELS.NET
    Active

Administrative Contact:
    Purchase, Domain noldc_dc@04desember.com
    838 Camp Street
    Apartment C
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    US
    504-523-0360

Technical Contact:
    Purchase, Domain noldc_dc@04desember.com
    838 Camp Street
    Apartment C
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    US
    504-523-0360

Registration Service Provider:
    noldc
    Welcome to noldc
    http://noldc.securemarket.net
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Record last updated 10-17-2004 03:01:55 PM
    Record expires on 10-17-2005
    Record created on 10-17-2004

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.SECUREMARKET.NET 209.16.87.45
    NS2.SECUREMARKET.NET 209.16.87.44

---------------------------------------------------

Yes it seems that bostonrebels.net was taken after it expired. However, you could get

www.bostonrebels.com
    www.bostonrebels.org

I haven't even checked for things like boston-rebels.com, etc.

Doteasy was our former host, and they are free, assuming you pay their domain registration fee (varies based on how many years you register). They are pretty reliable, however you can only have 1 GB of bandwidth per month, and 20 mb of space. That was more than enough for the old site. It all depends on what you want to do with the new site.

Assuming you get some steady dues, you could go with a pay host, and you'll get way more space, way more bandwidth, and a higher level of quality. I use Gisol for my website.

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Darth Dowe

If you want an idea of the kind of site I have in mind, you need look no further than the CRS Morning Star's, which is linked in my signature. If you can pull something like that off, I'll gladly let you and DarthWormie build it. I can maintain it with simple text editors and template pages (as I'd like to see each member have his/her own page on the site).

8. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Wow guys, thanks for all the quick input! We can talk about this more at the meet tomorrow...right now, I'm dead tired, and going to bed. :)

9. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    i've already taken steps creating threads to help ya =). i think doing more activity can bring in more members. the other thing you have to remember is that the Northeast in general don't congregate AS fans as much as the people down south. there's a lot of Star Wars (Celebration) and Star Trek conventions down south. perhaps it's due to the fact that Northeasterners ain't that friendly to begin with, ah well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.