Boston Star Wars Meetup Group: Explanation & Details

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    I mentioned this a little while ago, but I went ahead and started a Star Wars Meetup group for the Boston area. You can view it here.

Meetup.com is a great resource for people with a common hobby or other interest. Since I'm the organizer for the group, I get to set meeting times, moderate the message board there, among other things. What I have done and plan on continuing to do is making the monthly meetup coincide with our group's meet dates. I do this for two reasons:

1) In the interest of both groups, the more people you have at an event the better. While the Star Wars Meetup Group and the Boston Rebels are two different groups, holding meetings together allows for more Star Wars fan interaction, which is really what both groups are about.

2) And of course, this helps promote our group. It wouldn't be right of me to make the two groups synonymous because Meetup.com isn't my site. People that sign up there and come to our meetings have no obligation to become a Boston Rebel, but exposing them to the idea definitely doesn't hurt.

Does this all make sense? If it doesn't, please let me know.

What does these mean for you guys? Well, besides wanting you to know about this arrangement, I also would appreciate it if you guys could help me make the Meetup group a more attractive one by joining the site. It's free, costs no money, and if you don't want to get emails from them it's easy to disable those options. So far 3 people are signed up, including myself. I think if more people are registered, it will help attract others. I know I'd be more likely to join a group with 10 members than one with only 3.

I'm not demanding that any of you join, just asking. If you do decide to, please see the message board there and post something in the introductions thread I started.

Again, if any of you have any questions, please let me know! :)
  2. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Rosie

Just so you know, I am currently experiencing problems with the meetup.com server, or else I would've have already posted in the introduction thread. They may not fix the problem in time for the meet tomorrow, but I'll post as soon as I find that I am able to.
  3. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think I figured out the problem this morning, Rosie. I think you have to be logged into Meetup.com in order to view or participate in groups (which is why the message board link doesn't work, either). If you haven't already seen, I've signed up and joined the group. Not much I want to say in the introduction thread, so I didn't post there.
  4. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    I logged out and was still able to access the links just fine. The first time I tried to access them a couple of minutes ago though I got a server error message. I guess they're just having periodic problems right now.

Thanks for joining Richie...5 members now! Including one from MIT that joined yesterday, which makes me very happy. :)
  5. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I signed up! Btw, I think that first link you posted may only work if you have an account already? It didn't work the first time I tried it but after registering it worked fine.
  6. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for joining Dex. I honestly don't know what the deal with the link is, because I have had mixed luck with accessing it while signed out. So, if anyone has a problem, just register on the site first and then try to access it, since it seems to work better that way. :)
  7. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Guys, unfortunately Meetup.com has a new requirement that all groups pay a monthly fee. It's only $9, but that adds up over time. I'd rather see that kind of money go to other things, so I'm going to step down as coordinator for the group (the coordinator is the one responsible for collecting the money). I think that we should focus on developing our website to attract new members. If anyone disagrees with this, let me know. :)
  8. jedimasterkyle1 Jedi Padawan

I'm from Manchester Nh and i am very interested in your group. Please send me a private message with your info or post on the Manchester Nh boards.
    Thank You!
  9. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi there Kyle! Welcome to our board. I sent you a PM. :)
  10. JediMasterKate Jedi Padawan

Hi! I'm JediMasterKate, and I'm JediMasterKyle1's sister. I just wanted to say hello to everyone!
  11. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi there Kate! Great to see you around here too. :)
  12. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.