main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Both Hands - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan thread challenge response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Both Hands
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: A night out is more than it seems
    Notes: Written for the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan thread challenge.
    Padawan Obi
    Droid
    Corellia
    Mush
    A clown
    Standing behind laser barriers

Both Hands

Obi-Wan had to admit that he had felt a twinge of excitement when his Master told him where their latest mission would take them ? Corellia. Usually, they were sent to little paradise spots such as Hoth (who knew that snot could freeze?) or the stinky, slimy Nal Hutta. It was a nice change of pace to be sent to a planet that did not boast of temperatures cold enough to freeze bodily fluids or an odor guaranteed to permeate clothing so badly that they had to be burned on return to the Temple so that one did not risk insulting polite company.

The young Padawan could not help but smile as their ship touched down. Master Qui-Gon quietly gathered his bag and Obi-Wan did the same, but he was unable to repress his excitement fully and his Master gave him an understanding smile. ?I remember my first trip to Corellia,? he said with a fond smile. Then he winked at Obi-Wan. ?It?s a place unlike any other, my boy.?

As soon as they stepped onto the Coronet landing pad, Obi-Wan could see that his Master was right. Immediately, he caught the interested gaze of a young woman in her mid-twenties. She boldly looked him up and down, her appreciation quite obvious. Then she blew him a kiss and laughed when he blushed.

?I think I like Corellia,? he told his Master.

Qui-Gon threw his head back and laughed. ?I?m quite sure you do.?

Side-by-side, the two Jedi made their way through the crowd. Corellians seemed to be rather loud and enthusiastic in anything they did. They laughed and argued with equal passion, their raised voices combining in a confusing cacophony of sound that left Obi-Wan feeling rather dazed. Good-natured insults flew rapidly, though no one seemed to take them seriously.

They found the small lodge where they would be staying quite easily, for the people of Corellia seemed as friendly as they were bold and were happy to give directions. Once in their small suite, Qui-Gon put his bag on the floor with a sigh of relief. ?Now?as to our mission,? he said, and Obi-Wan had to repress a groan. He had hoped to have a few hours to merely explore the fascinating planet, but it was clear that duty would come first.

?Yes, Master?? he asked obediently, schooling his features into a placid, expectant mask.

Qui-Gon?s lips quirked, an odd gleam of amusement in his blue eyes. ?Are you ready to attend to business with complaint, Padawan??

Obi-Wan swallowed the groan that threatened and kept his eyes from rolling only by sheer will. ?Of course, Master,? he answered, just as expected.

?Good, then you?ll be pleased to know that we do not have a mission,? he said. ?What we do have is three days of down time.?

Stunned, Obi-Wan could only gape at his Master. ?Down time? As in free time? As in, no mission, no treaties, no negotiations, no slogging through slimy mud or freezing rain? That kind of down time??

?Exactly,? Qui-Gon said with a grin. This trip had been planned with a purpose, but he was not going to share that bit of information with Obi-Wan. The young man would discover that for himself.

Obi-Wan gave a whoop of excitement and then tossed his bag on couch. Immediately, the younger man opened it and began rummaging through it frantically. ?Looking for something?? Qui-Gon asked dryly.

?Something to wear besides Jedi tunics,? the younger man answered without looking up. ?I want to blend in, not stand out like a homing beacon.?

?Good idea,? Qui-Gon answered, opening his own bag.

Obi-Wan retreated into the ?fresher and emerged a few moments later garbed in a pair of worn black leather leggings, a loose blue shirt, and high black boots. Qui-Gon laughed. ?I see you came well prepared, Padawan.?

The younger man shrugged. ?Well, there?s always hope for some free time on a mission,? he admitted. ?I h

2. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    LOL! Letting those two out alone on Corellia is dangerous yet interesting things can happen.

But poor innocent Obi, well, I think that it was a good thing that Qui-Gon was with him.

?Yeah,? Obi-Wan answered, not really listening to the music any longer. A sultry looking redhead in the far corner had caught his eye. He raised his drink in a toast to her and she took a sip of her wine. He grinned, pleased not to have been rebuffed. Qui-Gon turned all the way around to look at her, prompting Obi-Wan to groan. ?Force, Master, don?t look at her!? he protested.

?Why not?? Qui-Gon teased. ?I like pretty women, too.?

?That?s just gross,? Obi-Wan said as he shuddered. ?You?re twice her age!?

Once more, Qui-Gon looked over his shoulder and then gave the redhead a little wave. ?Surely not twice her age,? he teased his Padawan. ?Maybe one and three-quarters,? he conceded with a grin.

Okay, so maybe not.

Well, this was amazing Vadey =D=, I just simply loved it[face_love].

3. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    ::happy sigh::

That was beautifully written and a great explanation of a difficult choice. I like the idea that the padawans would be given a chance to make a conscious decision about their life.

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Extremely well done. At the ending, where Qui-Gon is proud of Obi-wan...

Qui-Gon felt a lump rise in his throat. It was clear that the Padawan had learned the lesson with which the Master sometimes still struggled.

...makes you think possibly his master didn't think to take the time to try to teach him that lesson when he was a padawan.

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very Nice=D=

?Do you have any regrets about choosing the life of a Jedi?? Obi-Wan asked the question as if ashamed to have even considered it.

?Everyone has regrets from time to time, it is the way of things,? the Master answered, and he sensed the surprise of his Padawan.

A mission, but not a mission.
    It was still a learning curve for
    Obi-Wan and he passed with flying colours.[face_dancing]

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was great. I loved how Obi said that he wanted to grab the life of a Jedi with both hands. And he did, so very well.

LOL on the age thing with Obi and Qui. Obi was so funny thinking about the woman and Qui.

Great job. Wonderfully done.

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, this accentuates the fact that Qui is a father figure to Obi. No one wants to think about their parents being attracted to the opposite sex... especially teenagers.. let alone being attracted to the same person they think is attractive. [face_laugh]

8. Qui-GonJinn1

Qui-GonJinn1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2005
    Aw....I loved this!

It was so funny! And serious as well, tested Obi-Wan and he passed!

I like the fact that Qui-Gon could be interested in women...makes him seem more human!

=D=

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    This is the duo I know and love so much. Very amusing how Obi-Wan was grossed out at the idea of his master looking at a woman half his age and adored Qui-Gons comment about her be one and three quarters... [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thanks for mush and laugh.

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Another great challenge response. Loved the serious stuff mixed in with the funnies...

This nearly gave me a hernia [face_laugh]

?Force, Master, don?t look at her!? he protested.

Once more, Qui-Gon looked over his shoulder and then gave the redhead a little wave. ?Surely not twice her age,? he teased his Padawan. ?Maybe one and three-quarters,? he conceded with a grin.

Wonderful =D=

11. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ah, that was delightful.

I had to laugh at Obi-Wan's uncomfortableness at Qui-Gon's appreciation of the women - very amusing and realistic.

Loved the life lesson worked in at the end.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Qui-Gon grinned. ?One doesn?t always need fine feathers,? he reminded his apprentice. ?Especially not when the basic package is already so good.?

LOL!! Although, I guess I can't disagree in this case. ;)

A powerful viggie, K. I loved how Obi-Wan got a little queasy at the thought of his Master looking at the woman. :p Yet, I liked how the trip was intended to be a sort of defining moment, almost like a rite of passage for Obi-Wan as he pondered the purpose of the rest of his life.

Bravo!! =D=

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, it is so appropriate for Qui-Gon to take Obi-Wan out to sample a little of life. How could he be sure about his commitment if he didn't know what else was out there? Be we know Obi-Wan -- he's a Jedi.:D It sounds right that Qui-Gon would have a little more trouble with regrets, but he's mellowed with age. Nice conversation between them.

14. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this was really sweet, looking at them bond outside of the Jedi Order and i specially loved how Obi understood and really accepted his choice of becoming a jedi and what that requires.

=D=

[face_laugh] This was my favorite part [face_laugh]

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?Yeah,? Obi-Wan answered, not really listening to the music any longer. A sultry looking redhead in the far corner had caught his eye. He raised his drink in a toast to her and she took a sip of her wine. He grinned, pleased not to have been rebuffed. Qui-Gon turned all the way around to look at her, prompting Obi-Wan to groan. ?Force, Master, don?t look at her!? he protested.

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Really loved this little gem, wonderful to see Qui/Obi relaxing yet Obi-Wan can still learn an important lesson about life even on vacation. Marvelous! =D=

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Qui-Gon wore plain dark brown leggings, a white shirt, and his usual boots. Obi-Wan rolled his eyes. ?Good departure from your usual clothes, Master,? he noted sarcastically. ?You?re really going all out ? a white shirt instead of beige.?

Qui-Gon grinned. ?One doesn?t always need fine feathers,? he reminded his apprentice. ?Especially not when the basic package is already so good.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Well, why change what works? [face_love]

Okay, the title made me have bad thoughts, and maybe that just emphasises the point that Corellians don't do things half-assed. Hopefully Obi-Wan won't reject a non-Jedi life so much that he grabs hold of existence with only one hand. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.