main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gallery Bothan fanart! Aaaand some other species too

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Acaciathorn, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Acaciathorn

Acaciathorn Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2015
    I play a Bothan explorer in my weekly Star Wars RPG, "Edge of Rebellion" (kind of the weird, bastard child of Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion). Naturally, this resulted in Bothan fanart. ;) I'm still bad at drawing dog-type faces, plus none of the expanded universe material seems to agree on what Bothans look like. Some depictions are more leonine, others more canine, others more equine...some have beards, some don't...in the end I've headcanoned that, like dogs, the Bothan species exhibits a high degree of phenotype variability. For my girl Jastra, I'd say the most apt description is "calico cat meets African wild dog".
    [​IMG]

Bothans are the greatest, man. I love the whole great in-group out-group thing they've got going on...there's so much jockeying for power and backstabbing and political maneuvering between clans, but within clans (and even more so within families) there's this intense loyalty and devotion. The contrast is so much fun ♡

[​IMG]
    Here's my sweet baby exploring some alien world...holding a butterfly that looks like a hair clip from Claire's. Um...yeah.

[​IMG]
    All the other (named) Bothans in our campaign: Jastra's slicer sister Dall (left) and Jastra's shadowy patron Koskit (right).

You guys ever play Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion? What's your favorite depiction of a Bothan? Share away!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    And, on the off chance anyone's interested, here's our whole party!

Tyrran Boros
    [​IMG]
    Our pilot, and the youngest member of the crew. He's a human from Corellia who joined the Rebel Alliance after his sister went "missing". He's recently shown signs of being Force sensitive, but he's reluctant to admit it to himself. Alignment: Neutral Good.

Jastra Liska'vys
    [​IMG]
    My Bothan medic/explorer/jack-of-all-trades - this time in her creepy, totally overkill Adverse Environmental Gear and stimpack bandolier. She's a liar and a self-interested social climber, but she's also a healer with a flair for the theatrical - highlights include faking 1) a serious illness, 2) a phobia of snakes, and 3) a religious conversion. Alignment: Chaotic Good.

Corbin Fenn
    [​IMG]
    A force sensitive Mirialan who used to work for the Imperials when he was younger. Eventually he realized what douchebags they were and decided to get the hell out of dodge - now he's bumming around on our ship, looking cool and proselytizing about the light side. Alignment: Lawful Good.

Degar Tiertheel
    [​IMG]
    A Gungan bodyguard and sometime spy who's so cool that he's almost managed to redeem the Gungans in my eyes. Almost. :p The caption and Hawaiian print background are both inside jokes that I couldn't explain if I tried. Alignment: True Neutral.

Lance Andron
    [​IMG]
    A bounty hunter who spent most of his youth at a penal colony. He doesn't always make the best decisions. He does, however, seem to be in a loving, consensual relationship with his firearm ;) Alignment: Lawful Neutral.

Lars (last name unknown)
    [​IMG]
    Jastra's best friend, and by far the most entertaining member of the crew. He's a raging alcoholic and a con artist, but man, is he fun to be around. In his right hand he's holding an "Upstanding Citizen card", which Jastra gave to him on Life Day. The card came with a wager - every time Lars can convince someone that the "Upstanding Citizen card" is a legitimate form of identification, Jastra will buy him a drink [​IMG] Party on! Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Ohmygosh, your stuff is FABULOUS. I'm greatly enjoying all this! Please, please continue the updates here! Wow!

4. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Thanks! ^_^

Here are two more NPCs from our campaign:

Tavrok
    [​IMG]
    A Zabrak Sith apprentice with shapeshifting abilities and no sense of humor whatsoever. We attempted to convert him to the light side by hotboxing with him in the ship's escape pod. Good times

Terra Boros
    [​IMG]
    Tyrran's younger sister. She's a Corellian slicer who was sold into slavery and forced to participate in gladiatorial style death matches with other force-sensitive captives. We spent a good portion of the campaign's first arc trying to locate and free her.

I'll update as I continue to draw. :)

Kahara, brodiew, teamhansolo and 7 others like this.
  5. Illuminated

Illuminated Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    OMG!!! LOVE!!! [:D]

6. Delanis Alde

Delanis Alde Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2015
    Ohhhhhhh. Awesome. I happen to be playing a bothan as well. Slicer/medic. Because well somebody needs to reattach the limbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

7. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Simply glorious.

8. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Part 2 of our campaign just kicked off...and we have some new crew members!

Myria Carrick
    [​IMG]
    Here's the newest member of our sh!tshow - a human diplomat from Naboo, played by our former GM (the guy who used to play Lance will be taking over for her).

Kain Vorrnal
    [​IMG]
    Kain Vorrnal, Myria's Shistavanen bodyguard. He's a pretty scary guy...but he does seem dedicated to his employer, at least. He's got binders and a vibro-shiv, cuz why the hell not.

FOUR
    [​IMG]
    Myria's other companion - a stealthy, unsettling droid named FOUR. He's portrayed by Corbin's player now that Corbin and Tavrok have flown off into the sunset together...

9. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    If Jastra ever went to Hoth, pretty sure the first thing she'd do is start a snowball fight. :p

[​IMG]

She looks a little more leonine than my previous depictions...mostly cause I used a reference from the core rulebook that was a little more on the lion-ish side. Of course Jastra is much younger and cuter than that guy... ;)

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

10. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Just some random clothing designs I did for the ladies from our campaign - Myria and Jastra.

[​IMG]

I love pretty clothes ♡

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I LOVE that dinner party dress.

12. JabbaMama

JabbaMama Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2015
    That 3rd dress is really cool! I wish it was real!

13. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Did a colored version of the Tyrran sketch I posted earlier...

[​IMG]

I had the opportunity to travel to NJ last week and watch The Force Awakens with (most of) the members of our Star Wars roleplaying group. Tyrran's player, Tim, is a big part of the reason that actually happened, so this is my way of saying thanks. ^_^

Kahara, brodiew, teamhansolo and 8 others like this.
  14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those colours are fabulous and perfect! Can I ask how you get the texture? It's awesome.

15. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    I actually use scanned watercolor textures. I have a whole folder full of them that I've collected over the years.

Darth Ukendt and Admiral Volshe like this.
  16. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    More clothing designs!

[​IMG]

At one point Myria masqueraded as a Wedding Planner on Bothawui, hence the first dress. Jastra's fringer outfit was inspired by my undying love for that dieselpunk Mad Max aesthetic~

17. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    It's Bothan time again! :cool: This time it's an NPC from our Edge campaign.

[​IMG]

Koskit Sol'lon is a shady, powerful, puppetmaster-type character with criminal ties. He and Jastra were friends when they were younger, and now he's her...patron? Employer? Co-conspirator? It's a difficult relationship to define. They're constantly spying on one another, but they maintain a sense of humor about it, so there's no hard feelings. She's had a crush on him for years and expresses this by trolling him at every opportunity. Koskit is hopelessly out of her league at the moment, but Jastra is nothing if not determined...

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  18. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Love the lines on your sketches. Brilliant stuff.

19. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
  20. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Quick colored sketch of Utri Tu'Fey, a Bothan NPC from our campaign. She's rich, lovely, and madly in love with Tyrran, but he is sooooo not interested [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, as always!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  21. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

SWAG
    CASH MONAAAYYYY

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jastra so damn thirsty

This was a lot funnier to me at 3am

22. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Just some sketches this time.

First off is Freeleaf, a Gungan NPC from our campaign. He's a research-loving dork who lives on the watery world of Lamaredd. Or "Lameredd", as our map mislabeled it. We went all the way there simply because of the name.
    "Is it anything like the planet Edd?" "Nah man, it's way lamer."
    [​IMG]

And here's Kandra, an NPC from the first half of our campaign who isn't really around much anymore. She's a bit of an Imperial-Rebel double agent whose motives are often in question.
    [​IMG]

23. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Jug-Jug, The Gungan Goddess of Surfing

[​IMG]

At times like these I am so grateful to be an artist, so that I can unleash things like this upon the world. [​IMG]

Backstory time. It was the very first session of our Star Wars game, and the whole party was on Naboo. My buddy Mike (who plays an alcoholic con artist named Lars) was trying to swindle a tourist, and during the conversation, he made a throwaway joke about "Jug-Jug, the Gungan Goddess of Surfing". We had a good laugh, and then moved on. Except the joke kept. coming. back. Before we knew it, the cult of Jug-Jug had become a canon part of the campaign. My character Jastra and Lars went on to fake a religious conversion, lie to "Sarah", the Gungan equivalent of Pope, and put into motion of series of events so ridiculous that I cannot accurately describe them here. Later, Lars convinced a group of Gungan refugees in the Outer Rim that he was, in fact, the avatar of Jug-Jug upon this worldly plane. So yeah, he has followers now.

Jug-Jug also has a male counterpart, "Stab-Stab, the Gungan God of War", but he's less popular [​IMG]

24. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    Memories of Kothlis

[​IMG]

Widdle baby Bothans!! [​IMG]

More artwork for our Star Wars campaign, because I haven't drawn enough of that lately or anything. Here we have Koskit, Jastra, and her sister Dall, maybe around 12-13 years old, from the days when Koskit used to spend his summer vacations at Jastra's resort on Kothlis. Back before Dall messed up her whole life and had to go on the run from the Empire, and Koskit took over the family business and became a secret-hoarding puppetmaster who manipulates everyone and everything. Sigh...

I have so many headcanons for these three. Koskit was the sort of kid adults love - observant, quiet, talented, and intelligent. With a calm smile, he could explain away pretty much any form of misbehavior and come out the other side looking like a goddamn saint. Jastra, on the other hand, was always getting into trouble. She was the sort of kid grown-ups can't stand: a rabble-rousing prankster with a quick mind and a tendency to lie about everything. She used to drag Koskit along on so many crazy (and dangerous) misadventures, but he must have gotten something out of the experience, because he always kept coming back for more. Dall, meanwhile, was less involved in her sister's shenanigans. She was the kind of kid that parents worry about - always locked in her room, messing around on her computer, with seemingly few social interests. This picture pretty much sums up their relationship: Koskit mugging politely for the camera, Jastra hanging all over everybody, and Dall staring at a screen, presumably owning n00bs on the Bothan equivalent of Club Penguin. [​IMG]

Art-wise, I went for a more cartoony style this time: colorful, simplified, and a little blurry round the edges. I wanted to capture the feeling of childhood: that bright, brief eternity of days populated by small problems, endless sunshine, and friendships you think will never end. No matter who you are who where you come from, it's the kind of thing that will haunt you for the rest of your life, because you can never get that feeling back again.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Kahara, teamhansolo, pronker and 4 others like this.
  25. Acaciathorn

Jul 19, 2015
    The three main Bothan characters from our Edge of the Empire campaign...re-imagined as humans! I thought it would be fun to make it look like a tabloid cover, because why the fvck not [​IMG] So yeah: my girl Jastra, her sister Dall, and Koskit "I look like a Yakuza" Sol'lon, all nice 'n people-fied [​IMG]

The headlines are pretty much all just references to the past few sessions of our game. Jastra's dress says "Z-Weed", which is basically the Gungan version of wacky tobaccy. Jastra really, really likes her some Z-Weed. [​IMG] The syringes are meant to be stimpacks, because believe it or not, that woman's a doctor. And a slicer. And most recently, a politician. Lord help us all.

[​IMG]

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =