main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Boulevard of Broken Dreams [Kyp, Tahiri songfic]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Smuggler_Shidakis, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Title: Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Author(s): Smuggler_Shidakis
    Timeframe: Post- NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Tahiri Veila
    Genre: Angst (what else?), songfic
    Keywords: Kyp, Tahiri, loneliness
    Summary: Kyp and Tahiri walk alone.
    Notes: All right, this nasty little thing bit me a few nights ago. I'm very sorry if Tahiri is OOC, I've never written her character before or read any of the books that she's a central character in.

I don't own the very awesome but very overplayed song 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams.' I did censor one naughty word.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I walk a lonely road
    The only one that I have ever known
    Don't know where it goes
    But it's home to me
    and I walk alone

Loneliness had been his constant companion for nearly as long as he could remember. Oh, once, he'd been a happy child with a happy family, but his memories of that time were vague and few; he'd only been a young boy of eight when the Imperials had ripped his childhood away from him. Sometimes he remembered his mother's soft, sweet smile, his father's proud, determined gaze, his brother's carefree laugh.

Those years on Deyer had been so long ago; he recalled them as if from another life.

And then came Kessel. There was no friendship in the mines. Getting close to anyone was simply not an option. One day, he could be chatting with a faceless person beside him, and the next, the person would be gone- dead in a mining accident or simply no longer there. It was a lesson he'd never quite been able to learn, but the others had mastered- befriending someone was only setting yourself up for more pain. On Kessel, the only thing that mattered was survival, and the only way to do that was by looking out for yourself.

Friends were a luxury that prisoners couldn't afford.

Upon his escape from Kessel, he could have started over. He could have gone to the Academy without mishap, developed bonds with the other Jedi trainees. But instead, he had given in to weakness, and allowed himself to be taken over by Exar Kun.

And after committing his crimes, Kyp would never have that opportunity again; with his deeds, he had cast himself out. The Galaxy would never forget the destruction of Carida, and they would never forget that Kyp Durron had pulled the trigger. Most people regarded him with a mixture of fear and disgust. He was branded as a killer, a rogue, someone to avoid and never, ever, to trust.

Nothing much had changed since then. Maybe he had risen in status a bit, now that he had, to all appearances, calmed down and was now a member of the Advisory Council, but he was still, essentially, alone. There were a few people he was close with. Han, of course, who had been his friend since his last days on Kessel. And Jaina, but, well. . . .

Jaina was Jaina. His best friend, to be sure, his partner. But she also had her boyfriend, her own life, and he'd accepted months ago that he'd never be more to her than what he was. Her friend. To his surprise, he found that he could live with that. Their relationship was natural, comfortable, and Kyp had no desire to complicate things. It had been difficult, at first, but slowly, the dreams of her stopped and the longing for her faded, leaving behind the steady, strong feelings that he had always felt towards her- affection, trust, love that was not of the romantic sort, and a good dose of admiration.

He was no longer jealous of her boyfriend because he had her and Kyp didn't. Instead, when he saw them, he only wished wistfully that he could have love like they had.

I walk this empty street
    On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Where the city sleeps
    and I'm the only one
    and I walk alone

Walking up the wide, abandoned Denon street, in the dead of night, Kyp wasn't quite sure why he wasn't at home in his own bed, sleeping like he should have been. Neither was he sure why, tonight of all nights, his loneliness had kept him from sleep, driving him out of his

2. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    *does not die of shock* That was really good! I love how you used to lyrics literally. Very interesting approach to Kyp - and Tahiri.

You really did prove that there is more to any character than meets the eye.

Great work. Really wonderful,
    Myra
    EDIT - First post! [face_dancing]

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Must agree on the excellent use of a song. I especially liked that hopeful line at the end. Great fic!

4. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    My favorite Greenday song. I really like the way you took these two characters and highlighted the experiences that were so similar. Both of them having been through so much and not feeling close to anyone. And normally I dont' like sonfics! But this was excellent!

~Lurker

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Excellent use of the song, Smuggler and I don't find your portrayal of Tahiri OOC at all. I liked the whole mood of the piece - your descriptions matched the tone of the song really well. I also liked the way you took us back through the characters' histories. It's certainly true that both have been through a lot.

Funnily enough this is one song that immediately made me want to use it in a songfic. I've been playing around with several character options - but you've beaten me to it. LOL I have to admit I read your ending as more of a moment of empathy rather than a suggestion the two will get together - :D - but I like the way you've made the ending kind of open so people can read into it what they wish. :) Terrific job. :)

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes, I know that it's not K/J and that I gave Jaina to someone else. *watches everyone die of shock*

[face_laugh]

It's a very sweet songfic. Great job!!!

7. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Myra: *does not die of shock*
    Aw, darnit.... What will I do with all these nice graves, now? :p

That was really good! I love how you used to lyrics literally.
    Yeah, I always take the lyrics literally, I don't know why. Maybe I'm just weird.

Very interesting approach to Kyp - and Tahiri.
    You really did prove that there is more to any character than meets the eye.

I'm glad you thought so! I was really nervous about Tahiri, as I have no experience with her at all.

Great work. Really wonderful
    Thanks!

HealerLeona: Must agree on the excellent use of a song. I especially liked that hopeful line at the end. Great fic!
    Thank you!

Lurker: My favorite Greenday song.
    One of mine, too!

I really like the way you took these two characters and highlighted the experiences that were so similar. Both of them having been through so much and not feeling close to anyone.
    I agree. They both have great backstory.

And normally I dont' like sonfics! But this was excellent!
    [face_blush] Thanks!

Tahi: Excellent use of the song, Smuggler and I don't find your portrayal of Tahiri OOC at all.
    Oh, good. I wasn't sure if I'd gotten her right. Thanks!

I liked the whole mood of the piece - your descriptions matched the tone of the song really well. I also liked the way you took us back through the characters' histories. It's certainly true that both have been through a lot.
    One of my favorite things about Kyp especially is his awesome background. It makes it really fun to get into his head. And Tahiri's experiences in the NJO and before give a whole lot of material to work with.

Funnily enough this is one song that immediately made me want to use it in a songfic. I've been playing around with several character options - but you've beaten me to it.
    I win! :p Seriously, though, I'd love to see another story to this song... it's got a great mood for angsty fic and room for interpretation, especially the 4th and 5th stanzas.

LOL I have to admit I read your ending as more of a moment of empathy rather than a suggestion the two will get together - - but I like the way you've made the ending kind of open so people can read into it what they wish.
    I don't really think of it as them getting together -though I'm experimenting with the thought of writing a Kyp/Tahiri, since it could be pretty fun. You're right, it is more of empathy. I like leaving things open to interpretation, though.

Terrific job.
    Thanks!

Nat: Yes, I know that it's not K/J and that I gave Jaina to someone else. *watches everyone die of shock*
    laugh

:D

It's a very sweet songfic. Great job!!!
    Thanks bunches!

I'll say it again. Reviewers, you rock!

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You're welcome :) I love this song. I bought the CD yesterday so that I could have this song 8-}

9. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Lol.

I love the CD, it's so awesome.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  11. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    Yes, I know that it's not K/J and that I gave Jaina to someone else. *watches everyone die of shock*

Gasp!!! ;) *Does not die of shock!* I really liked how you got inside their heads and got into their hearts. Great description of their thoughts/emotions!!! And as for it not being K/J, ah something could come between J/J in the future... then Kyp will be there to help Jaina pick up the pieces... there are always possibilities! ;) Great work! I need to work on something other than K/J just to prove I could do it... *sigh and my DLC mission doesn't count, Kyp is mentioned in there too! :p * Oh well, one day!

~Goddess Jaina~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.