main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Bound To Fall (Response to the Bob Dylan Quotations Roulette Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Fifilla, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Title: Bound To Fall
    Author: Fifilla
    Summary: Cordé?s thoughts and memories about her time as a handmaiden.
    Notes: Response to the Bob Dylan Quotations Roulette Challenge
    English is not my native language so please forgive me my mistakes!
    Thanks to my Master Valairy_Scot for betaing and for her help and support. [:D]
    Disclaimer: I unfortunately do not own anything of SW, it all belongs to Lucasfilm and George Lucas.

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
    You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
    People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"

Bound To Fall

For over ten years I have been working for Padmé Amidala.

First she was the Queen of Naboo and now, after her reign is over, she is a respected Senator. Respected, but also sometimes hated.

That is the point where I will play my role.

My name is Cordé and I am one of the many handmaidens of Padmé Amidala.

I remember the first time I saw her. I was still a girl then, about the same age as she.

Since the days of my childhood I had been trained in hand-to-hand combat and in the use of a blaster. That should be my job and my mission ? to be her bodyguard, her decoy, her protection.

Padmé Amidala was dressed in beautiful robes, her hair was towered in a huge mass above her head and her face was painted all white. But the only thing I saw was that wonderful dress. It was dark red and embroidered all over with hundreds of sparkling little sequins. The long skirts waved around her legs when she walked and the sequins reflected the light in all imaginable colors.

As I said before, I was just a child then and I envied her for that gorgeous dress. I had never had such a dress, and as every young girl would be I was also fascinated by it.

Much later I found out that these dresses were incredibly uncomfortable to wear and I was immensely glad that in those days the Queen preferred Sabé as her decoy.

But nowadays Padmé is no longer the Queen; and since she works as a Senator it is my job to dress as her when any danger is in sight.

I found out that everything changes when you wear these senatorial dresses (which are incidentally not a bit more comfortable than the royal ones, I must admit).

The strangest thing I notice is that people treat you extremely different when you are dressed as a Senator. When they see the handmaiden in me they often seem a bit compassionate or even derogative. But when they think I?m a Senator they act totally different. They are friendly, sometimes even a bit obedient.

But what scares me most is that my attitude also changes.

I notice that I become more superficial and sometimes arrogant or even insulting. It is so easy to be insolent or rude towards people when they don?t know who you are and when your face is painted all white.

I am always glad when we can switch roles again and I am nothing more than a simple handmaiden. Sometimes I don?t know anymore who I really am. My whole life is devoted to Padmé and to Naboo.

Today we are on our way to Coruscant, the vote in the Senate seems to be very important for Padmé.

Coruscant ? how I hate this planet!

There are only buildings and people and noise and bustle.

Coruscant ? the name alone of this big ugly planet sounds grim.

It is totally different than my home planet.

Naboo.

That name sounds soft and gentle, it reflects the peace and quietness that I feel when I am at home. I love the nature, there is so much green, so many trees and meadows.

I had a bad feeling earlier today when I entered the spaceship.

The door closed behind me and I threw a last glance at my beloved Naboo. I already miss the feeling of wide open space there? I hope we will return soon.

As we are approaching Coruscant, the other girls help me to change into my dress. First I put on the corset, then the heavy underskirts. Finally, on top

2. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    A very interesting and different take on an otherwise venomous song. I was half expecting a story about some over-confident business man or general who takes a wrong step in life but you made it much more interesting when turning into a moving tribute to Cordé and shed some interesting light on the opening scene of AOTC.

I notice that my shoes are missing? where are they? It?s a pity that they are gone, they were really comfortable to wear.

Poor Cordé, she never knew what hit her.

Bravo! Well done! =D=

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    :_| That was beautiful. At first I thought, since the song was a social commentary, there was going to be more of a bite towards senators. But you threw a curve and made it a tribute. Very well done. =D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great response to the challenge! =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Such a sad and great vignette. It brings to life the openingscene of AOTC.

=D==D==D=

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Excellent response to this challenge. =D=

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well done, indeed. You threw a twist into everyone's expectations, it seems.

8. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    yodas_waiter:
    Thanks a lot ? I?m glad you like my approach :)
    This challenge was a great idea; it was really fun to write a story for it!

Alexis_Wingstar:
    Thank you! [face_blush]
    I didn?t know the song before but when I saw my quote the idea for this story hit me right away.

VaderLVR64:
    Thanks for reading :)

earlybird-obi-wan:
    I always thought that there had to be more about all the handmaidens.
    I?m glad you like it.

RX_Sith:
    Thank you, ?partner? ;)

Valairy_Scot:
    As I said before, I didn?t know the whole song and the quote just made me think of Padmé and her handmaidens.
    Thanks for your help, Master [:D]

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice look into Corde's thoughts.

I'm impressed she admitted to how her behavior also changed when she dressed as a Senator.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    KELIA:
    Thank you very much! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.